XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

head gasket ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 03:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default head gasket ??

Hi there people
This is my 1st post and on behalf of the father in law
He owns a 94 4.0 Daimler and his local garage have said his head gasket is leak in oil
It's on the from o/s corner in front of the manifolds
But they won't touch it
Is this a common fault ?? Is there an easier fix ? Any recommendations of garages in the south Yorkshire areas or is it diy able any possible issues ??

All help appreciated

Old 12-25-2015, 07:15 PM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Originally Posted by maccavvy
Hi there people
This is my 1st post and on behalf of the father in law
He owns a 94 4.0 Daimler and his local garage have said his head gasket is leak in oil
It's on the from o/s corner in front of the manifolds
But they won't touch it
Is this a common fault ?? Is there an easier fix ? Any recommendations of garages in the south Yorkshire areas or is it diy able any possible issues ??
Hi maccavvy,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums!

Regarding an oil leak at the front right corner of the engine, above the distributor, this was common on the earlier XJ40s. The head gaskets had a poor seal around the port that feeds oil from the block into the cylinder head at that corner. However, the head gaskets were subsequently revised, and by the '93-'94 cars it is fairly uncommon to hear of an oil leak at that spot.

It is far more common for the cam cover gasket to leak and drip oil down the right side of the engine, since the engine leans to that side. By inspecting the pattern of leaking oil you may be able to determine if the leak really is from the head gasket or from the cam cover gasket instead.

Replacing the cam cover gasket is a simple job and the gasket sets are relatively inexpensive. Replacing the head gasket is a DIY job for anyone with the necessary tools and the willingness to study the job in advance and acquire all the required parts. While replacing the head gasket it is prudent to do some other maintanance tasks and to replace a few parts that are difficult to access with the intake manifold in situ.

Many owners have opted to simply live with the head gasket oil leak and just keep the oil topped up until the head gasket fails between a water jacket and combustion chamber and they have no choice but to replace the gasket.

If you would like to post some photos of the source of the leak we'll be happy to offer our input.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 12-25-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-26-2015, 03:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks don r the comprehensive reply.
At this moment im only going on info from the garage.
Ive not seen the leak myself.what I aim to do over the coming week it give it a good clean down and await what it does. I think I may do the rocker gasket as a matter of course.
ive got a little time off this holiday. The car is not in everyday use, it probably gets used 3 maybe 4 times a week and he says its worse when left stood.
Ill do some digging and post back .

Thanks