XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Hide Me...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hide Me...

Ello...

My 1993 XJ has sadly neglected seats. Although they're nottoo far gone, overall they are quite dry and on the verge of cracking. In addition the sun has faded the seat facings from a nice tan to a rather vague pinkish. I've started the 'save the hide campaign' by aquiring some hide food from my jag dealer and applying it to the surfaces after a gentle cleaning. I"m noticing a renewed suppleness and will continue toapply additional hide food until it's all softas a babys bum. Now the tricky bit. Do you guys know of a product that will safely dye the leather and that willremain permanent. There are several upholstery dyes in a rattle can, and I've even considered shoe polish as most do have some color restorative qualities. Any successful forays into this realm? Love to hear what you'd suggest, or what worked for you.

Cheers

Old 06-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: Hide Me...

The Connelly's hide food is a good product. I've also heard mixed reviews about the Leatherique products. I think this is also a good product, but more labor intensive to use.

I would check with local trim shops on the dye products. They may even be able to get some products unavailable to the general public.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:27 PM

Yeah. I think I prefer the hide food. A lot of connelly clad types recomend this product. Who's to argue with such lofty types as Rolls Royce, Aston Martin, and Jaguar. I decided to go with what Jaguar recomends, not "whatevers on sale a Walmart" Price isn't bad, and gee it sure smells nice!

Old 06-13-2007, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much is this dealer conditioner you been buying, my leather is looking great but it could always be better.

I go off this forum for a week and come back and right of the bat find two 93 xj6 owners, I like the looks of this/

Old 06-19-2007, 06:12 PM

I think it was around $38.oo cdn. Simply follow the directions, it works really well, and I notice a vast improvement in the leather already...and it's recomended by Jaguar, Bentley, and Rolls Royce to name a few. It'sgood for untreated hides likethese manufacturers use. Nice to see a fellow 93 XJ40 guy here as well.