XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Hoping for some help here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 11:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Hoping for some help here.

I have a 94 xj6 and it had a relay problem with the fuel and I replaced it about 5 months ago and now it's having the same problem. If i spray starter fluid it will start and run fine. I do believe it's something else causing the problem but is it something I can fix or mechanic? Can anyone help me?

Old 04-29-2013, 11:27 AM
Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

Where in Maine are you?

Your fuel pump is in the tank, you need to find out if it is working correctly. A sign of them going south is the intermittent working/not working. A fuel pressure check would be helpful. If you don't know how to do it, get a mechanic of search the forums here and you can learn to do it yourself.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:23 PM

Am in Brunswick Maine. I will look up how to do that thanks.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:58 PM

Sorry I informed you all of the wrong part. I replaced the fuse under the hood to the fuel. It was a blue fuse I replaced not the relay. Does that still mean that the pump may be bad or just the relay?

Old 04-29-2013, 05:55 PM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts

EFrazen,

You're not giving us much to go on here buddy....

What "fuse" did you replace in the engine bay? Which side of the bay are you referring to? If memory serves me well, the fuel relay for your MY is in the boot (trunk), right side. You'll need to remove the carpet finish pieces.

Have either you or a friend stand at the back of the vehicle (boot lid up) and put the ignition key in position II, (DONT' START THE ENGINE), you should hear the relay engage and short burst from the fuel pump (inside the fuel tank). (I could be wrong on the location of your fuel pump relay, your Haynes manual should tell you or someone here on the forum will either correct me or confirm)

Another question: are you implying that you must prime the engine every time you start it? Can you be more descriptive of what happens when you try to start it?

The issue may not be with the pump, but with the system holding pressure at the fuel rail, which, to some degree, MrTalkradio referenced. It didn't sound to me like you had a problem with the engine running, just a problem starting it. Correct???

There is a device referred to as the FPR (fuel pressure regulator) located at the front of the fuel rail, which the injectors are attached to. It may be bad, or about to go bad, try this.......

When you go to start the vehicle, turn the key to position II (don't start it), then back to position I, then back to II, wait a second, then engage the starter, and see if you have better luck starting the engine without priming it. What you'll be doing is engaging the fuel pump relay several times, thus the fuel pump which will (if working properly) build pressure to the rail and start more readily. I've read in various forums some people do the "cycling" as many as three times.

Please clarify the behavior of the vehicle when you attempt to start and answer any question we have put to you in order to help.

Last edited by Rob Evenson; 04-29-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:04 PM

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

This picture in the link is the fuse I replaced. It's on the passenger side.

When I try to start the car it cycle but will not start. It will only start after I prime it. The thing with the key didn't work. But once I do get it started it runs fine.

As for the fuel pump relay I did hear the it engage but as for the fuel pump in the tank not sure if it made noise or not. I did hear something engage and another sound. Both were short. I hope that gives you more information.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:24 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

EFrazen:
Ok, if the car stays running with out problems by manually priming the engine, then I'm inclined to go with Rob's theory about the fuel pump's priming burst being insufficient to raise fuel pressure to the required 40 psi - or thereabouts - for start up. A fuel pressure test would confirm this as mrtalkradio said.

Please try the "key cycling" trick several times - giving it three or four turns before engaging the engine and see what happens. Alternatively, you can engage and the hold the starter cranking for a lot longer (10 or 15 seconds even) to see what happens. That's obviously not great for either the starter or the battery... which is why many of us look for other solutions. Incidentally, my '94 is doing this exact same thing. The key cycling takes care of it. A more permanent solution is to install a check valve in the fuel line. I've got the parts for that and am just waiting for a free night and a warm evening... The only proper resolution to this problem involves pulling the tank and replacing the check valve, which is part of the fuel pump in the tank.

The fuel pump relay is indeed located in the trunk, on the right hand side, behind the carpets, by the back light.

Let us know how it's going!
Scott

Old 04-30-2013, 12:08 PM

Thanks everyone for the information and advice. I will let you all know how its going.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:38 PM

The car has a mind of its own. Today my wife tried to start the car and it blew out a big black smoke and started up on the first try with out priming it. And the car has been starting up every time since on the first try. But yesterday i could not get the car to start at all. Not even with priming it. I know one thing am changing the fuel filter.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:24 PM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

Remember you own a Jaguar....They are just like a woman...Fussy and tempermental at times, but once you figure them out they are a blast to ride.

Cheers,
The Dr.