XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

I guess this is goodbye.... for now.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 02:03 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default I guess this is goodbye.... for now.

I will be leaving this forum because I will soon not have my XJ6. I made a very stupid mistake. Here it is, if you are interested. I already feel dumb and very depressed so I do not need any comments about what a dumb move I made. I have been working on the car in my driveway. It is a very steep drive about 100 feet long with a flat area near the garage. Anyway, I had put the car into neutral to remove the stuff around the gear shift. It started to rain and I just shut the door and left the car.... it ended up raining for about 4-5 days and I got onto other indoor rainy day projects too. Well, yesterday, for some reason, after sitting for almost a week, the car rolled down the drive, backwards, hit an embankment so hard that the car rotated 90 degrees, rolled another 20 feet before hitting a tree. It is a heavy car so the damage was significant and being almost 30 years old, the insurance company has already told me that they will just total it and if there is anything I want off /in it to take it now. If there is some small item that you need, let me know I an will try to get it for you. It is/was a very nice base XJ6 with less than 25K miles on it, but now it is not so nice. I want to thank everyone here for their help and advice. This car was a challenge for me to work on, but the people here made it much easier. I love Jaguars and maybe I will be able to get another one. This was my 2nd Jag. But who knows? I am still very unhappy and cannot believe it has actually happened still. Still stunned. Thanks!

Last edited by dskul1; 04-27-2017 at 03:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Don B (04-29-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 02:47 PM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

First and foremost: Really glad you're safe. My condolences on the loss though, I'm familiar with the sting and embarrassment of making an avoidable mistake and I'm sorry to hear that it cost you your car. Taking on a project like these cars is a big task, and I dare anyone to say that they've never gone through repair like that without forgetting something that could have caused the whole thing to end badly if it weren't for a little luck. Kudos to you for opening up about it at least, I hope it gives you some comfort to know that there are a lot of folks out here like you who have taken on a huge project out of love of cars without all the right circumstances or tools. I feel your pain, and I"m sorry you lost what I"m sure was an awesome low-miles jag. I hope you'll be back on the boards soon enough!

Last edited by Albert Taylor; 04-27-2017 at 02:55 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Albert Taylor:
Don B (04-29-2017), dskul1 (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 03:45 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the very nice note. I always feel that we can learn from other's mistakes, so even if it is a bit embarrassing, I will tell what happened. I have learned from other's mistakes too.

Old 04-28-2017, 12:07 PM
jjd
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

These mistakes happen to the best of us. At least no one was injured. Sorry to hear about the car and I'm sure you will beat yourself up about it but remember it could always be worse....

Don B (04-29-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,125 Likes on 790 Posts

I am sad for you. I know I would be kicking myself hard. Glad no one was hurt and I hope you can get a satisfactory replacement.

Don B (04-29-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 08:06 PM
Received 12,734 Likes on 6,378 Posts

dskul1,

So very sorry to hear about this terrible accident, but I'm also thankful you were not injured or worse.

We'll miss you while you're gone, but hope that another nice Jaguar comes into your life in the not-too-distant future.

All the best,

Don

Old 07-23-2018, 10:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is really late, but any chance you still have parts? I need an electric cooling fan and also the washer reservoir