XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Ignition Switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 11:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ignition Switch

My ignition switch is a bit loose and often shuts down the whole car. If I accidentally bump it, or pass a fairly big road bump, or driving down a rough road, the car will completely shut down as I'm driving. As if turning the car off, all power is turned off. Scary the first times it happened. If I jiggle the switch as I'm slowing down, the car will power back on, but will give me an exclamation mark with a 'fueling failure' message. Car picks up in the gear I happen to be in at the time, or putting it in neutral also works. This has happened multiple times.

Questions are:

Can the switch be fixed? Or replaced? I thought I heard somewhere a switch cannot be replaced on these, and kinda made no sense to me, and want to confirm.

Since these events, I sometimes have a rough idle, as if the car is about to turn off but never does. Eventually it goes away. I'm assuming its the fuel pump, from being shut down so abruptly then powered back on, on mid drive. Could my fuel pump need replacing because of this?

One more question a bit off topic but still relating to the switch. I've always been able to pull my ignition key out once the car is turned on. Cool trick I thought, and easy way to scare passengers, but is it suppose to do that?

Old 03-03-2009, 11:53 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Greetings,

That is two separate issues. The key should not come out of the ignition lock cylinder unless it is in the off position. You can replace the lock barrel separately (and very easily), but the replacement will then be different from your door locks. Not worth messing with, in the old days you could buy a "lockset" which was both front handles and the ignition barrel for like $600.00 so the new keys would operate everything.

The electrical ignition switch is the component you need to replace, it plugs into the back of the steering column lock/ ignition switch assembly and is retained with one tiny screw. Last time I needed one for an '89 XJ6, they were No Longer Supplied through Jaguar. I installed a used one from an '88. I think I have at least one left, PM me if you are interested.

As far as what engine performance problems you are having as a result of the faulty ignition switch, it's hard to guess. The point I would pursue is to replace the component that I had verified as faulty, and then troubleshoot other symptoms...if there are any.

By the way, I couldn't make any sense of the description you gave about your front suspension squeak. Perhaps if you post a picture of the suspect components, you might get some relevant information.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks JagTechOhio for your prompt reply. I have a local shop I usually take my car to and just this last Friday I got the chance to take it. So it seems I do need to replace my ignition switch. They have one they'll sell me for $250.00. Pricey, but fair for this car I guess. I've found one of an '88 matching part number with mine CBC4167. Goes for $59.99 including shipping. Sure beats $250.00.

Is this all I need? Meaning, there's no other parts that attach to this that may be missing but need?

Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

Oh regarding my squeak, I got it fixed. I had to replace the grease fitting on the left ball joint. Sorry for the lame description.