XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

KYB Shocks on a XJ40

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 06:10 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default KYB Shocks on a XJ40

So it's time to replace the front shocks before the road trip to Texas as the bushings are shot and the shocks look to original.

I'm planning on going with the KYB shocks on the front. I noticed there are a few other brands out there to choose from though. So has anyone used these or any other brand?

I'm looking to keep ride the same as stock, the Jag eats up the highway miles in quite comfort and I like it that way. So not worried about corner carving, just keeping her the way she was intended.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I´m looking for shocks for my XJ40 also. I checked with a parts provider and he just sent me an email telling me not to put KYB on Jaguar, with some very negative comments about those. I have used KYB on Japanese cars with no problem, but he said they do not perform well on Jags.
He suggested something that was about $300 a pair. No thanks.
I see Monroe has reasonably priced shocks for Jaguar and they say that they are made in Europe for European cars.
Hopefully some people with experience in this will provide some feedback.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:07 PM

I'm back and forth between the monroe and kyb. I'm going to bite the bullet tomorrow and order one or the other. If nothing else at least I can report back on my thoughts on which ever one I go with...

Old 05-28-2009, 12:49 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I know one person who put KYB's on a XJ40 and the car rode like a buckboard. The compression and rebound rates were all wrong for the car. Stick with Bilsteins or Koni's.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default KYB Shocks and Jag Springs

I have KYB shocks and fresh Jag Springs on my car and it rides like floating on a cloud. I'm no expert and I've only had my 92 XJ6 Sovereign about 6 months and I'm still learning, but I haven't had any problems with the KYB's to date.

A good source for info, parts, etc... is; www.brokenkitty.com

Been in business a long time in the Dallas area and are willing to discuss things with you in person or over the phone.

Lastly it's been my experience with cars (all type of cars and their forums) no matter what you want to do or change you will have many people (me included) volunteer their opinion and give positive or negative input on just about every question, change, enhancement, etc... you're thinking about doing. I'd search out those who have had or have more than one Jag over the years and who work on them for a living. I tend to believe their opinion is a little more weighted than someone like myself.

But hey like I said everyone has an opinion.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I prefer to sell the Boge shocks. The KYB on the front tend to start a little tighter than the OE shocks, but they fade to soft fairly quickly. The KYB rears begin to rattle after about six months. The Boge are $121 each for the fronts. The supplied the OE shocks to Jaguar.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:19 PM

Bilstiens are a definite no go for this application, at least for me. My experience with them is that they are a quality shock but much to stiff to keep the Jaguar ride quality I'm looking for. If the KYB's are looking that sorry, I'll just go with the monroe sensa-tracs.

Ken I would consider the Boge's but I'm looking to finish this project by the end of the weekend, since I take off on a 1200 mile joy ride in the Jag to Texas on Monday morning.

Thanks for the input.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member

Just say to hell with the ride and pick them up while you are here! (ha ha) Enjoy the trip.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:17 PM

I would but the %^&&%$ bushing on the passenger side fell apart and I can't take the banging noise lol

I ordered the monroe sensa-tracs by the way and will get them installed tomorrow night. I'll report up once I get to San Antonio on my views on the ride.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Hi Army Jag,

I would recommend installing new bushings (all four) when you put in the new shocks. When I had my '90 XJ40 I had the same problem with the bushings turning to powder and causing the banging on the passenger side also.

Mike

Old 05-28-2009, 07:50 PM

I would think the new shocks will come with the new shock bushings am I mistaken? I've never seen shocks not come with them.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Hi Army Jag,

From what I recall, the bushings were separate, at a cost of about $15 apiece. I would check with your parts guy first though. Just looking at the pictures from car-stuff.com, the KYBs and Monroes did not appear to have the bushings or the washers, while the Bilsteins, the Boges and Sachs looked like they came with the washers and bushings.

Good luck,

Mike

Old 05-28-2009, 09:27 PM

Guess I'll find out tomorrow after work. I hope they come with them otherwise they are getting returned lol. I'll just go to the Jag Dealer and get the bushings and leave the shocks that are in there.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member

Bushings depend on the manufacturer and design. The XJ8's don't have the upper bushings because they are made on to a shock mount plate that must be replaced. All kinds of whacky things out there.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:25 AM

well it's a 89 XJ6 it that helps Ken.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:43 PM

Well I picked up the Monroe shocks today after work and the good news story is they come with the bushings.

I swapped out the passenger side first thing as it's the one with the destroyed bushings and the thumping noise is gone

Tomorrow I'll change out the drivers side shock, thankfully these aren't to bad to do at all.

At the end of the drive to texas I'll post up on my thoughts on the Monroe shocks.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:21 AM

Thanks Army jag for the info and feedback. Please post your experience with the Monroes. My parts guy said the KYB´s are junk for Jaguars so I´ll take his advice despite the positive feedback that was posted above.
He recommends Boge also, but they are a bit pricey for me. If you do well with the Monroe´s that´s what I´ll get.

panza
1985 XJ6
1992 XJ40 Sovereign
1993 XJ40 Sovereign
2002 S type 4.0
2004 Lincoln LS

Old 05-30-2009, 10:23 AM

As soon as the rain stops, I'll be installing the second shock. So far on limited around town runs it seems to ride as well as the boge units that were in there, minus the loud clunking over bumps lol.

I'm doing 1250 miles starting monday morning so I should have a pretty good feel on them when I get to Fort Sam Houston in Texas(by san antonio). I will post up my thoughts on them then.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Welcome to Texas

Texas tourism motto; Texas, it's like a whole other country! The DMV has a book called "How to become a Texan"

Old 05-31-2009, 08:34 AM
Default texas

Well I hear Texas wants to become a separate country again. I guess if they do that they´ll have to change the name of those amusement parks to the seven flags over Texas.
Can you name the six flags that flew over Texas?
Now I´m off topic...

Quick Reply: KYB Shocks on a XJ40