XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Leak from where?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 08:43 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Leak from where?

My '89 base XJ40 has a leak. After it rains, when I open the trunk/boot, a small amount (any is too much) of water drips from just above the latch in the trunk hood. I have tried putting small amounts of silicone sealer around the chrome plate that has the lock mechanism, but it doesn't seem to help. The key hole area seems like it is not a great fit with space between it and the chrome surround. The key hole does not have a piece that some locks have that is depressed when the key is inserted that I would think also help in keeping water out. Has anyone had a problem in this area? Any advice/suggestions? If you think photos/video of this area/problem would help illustrate, let me know and I will get them. As usual; Thanks! Everyone here has been a great help. I read a lot of posts just to gain more knowledge about the XJ40. I am a terrible mechanic and have some physical problem that precludes me from do many things but I have been able to do a lot that I couldn't have otherwise have done by reading here. When I have had someone else work on the car, I can talk about it with some knowledge to help the mechanic who probably (where I live anyway) has never worked on a XJ40. I have trouble finding anyone who will touch it most of the time. Thanks again!

Old 02-26-2017, 09:12 AM
Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

You can try replacing the rubber pieces behind the chrome if they're still available. It couldn't hurt seeing that they're close to 30 years old and have probably shrunk and dry rotted to a certain extent. Early XJ40's were notorious for rusting in the trunk areas. I have a few spots on my '88 that I'm in the process of repairing. Take care of it before it gets any worse.

The following users liked this post:
dskul1 (03-06-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,125 Likes on 790 Posts

I am not sure about water getting in past the keyhole. Was it very heavy rain?- Like washing the car heavy? The lock cylinder is recessed somewhat (not to say impossible- but has never happened to me). As you probably have, I would look around the trunk seal for any tears which may be near a weld or other point where a "trail" might start. You could also check the trunk lid liner for water damage which would point you toward the source. Missing license plate screws? There is also a chrome trim strip on mine along the edge of the lid below the lock plinth. hmmmm. The more I think about it the more little places I think of....

dskul1 (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 04:15 PM

Thanks for the comments.... Sorry I've taken so long to reply... a little illness. The amount of water/rain; If it rains hard I have more, not so hard less. Sometimes it just seeps. The trunk carpet gets wet from when I open the trunk and the water leaks out, so it is always musty smelling; no rust yet. I am going to try some silicone wherever I suspect water coming in. If that stops the leak, I will remove the silicone a little at a time; until it leaks again. That way I hope I can determine exactly where it is coming from. I know putting silicone everywhere is not too good looking, but right now I'm more concerned with the leak. I will clean it up later. Do you have a better way to find the leak that I haven't though of? Thanks again for the comments. I have thought of posting a video/photos of the leak; do you know if that is possible here?

Old 03-06-2017, 04:19 PM

Thanks for the comments.... Sorry I've taken so long to reply... I will see if I can find the rubber gaskets for the chrome surrounds. Probably hard to find. Maybe if I get the rubber material and use the old one as a template and cut out a new one? I hate leaks!!

Old 03-08-2017, 01:40 PM

I think I fixed the problem. I put silicone around the chrome that surrounds the key hole. It rained pretty hard and no water! I hope that is it. I will now try to get a new gasket for that piece of chrome. Hopefully I will be able to find one.

Don B (03-09-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member

Good deal. I think (not sure) that either xks unlimited or Barratts would have that rubber backer. I may have an extra used one myself. Send me a PM tomorrow to remind me. Ill try to remember. or you could just take yours off and put a fine bead of sealer around the edge of the backside....if you're careful

dskul1 (03-14-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member

I do have an extra gasket that is whole and pliable. If you want it, just say so. When I looked at it against the trim piece, I noticed 2 small drain holes in the bottom edge of the chrome. I wonder if yours might be plugged up. Just putting it out there. Good luck.

The following 2 users liked this post by jerry_hoback:
dskul1 (03-14-2017), Lawrence (03-09-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 07:33 PM

Sorry it took so long to respond to your offer. Family emergency. Sure, I will take it. Thanks a lot! Just let me know what it costs + shipping and I will PayPal you, if that's OK. I was looking at the chrome piece and I realized I don't know how to remove those kinds of things. I know I will have to be careful so as to not bend/break it.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member

PM sent

Old 03-29-2017, 08:44 PM

I have no PM from you.

Old 03-31-2017, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member

My apologies. I remember not only writing it up, but what it said. Isnt the internet a wonderful thing? I will try again.