XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

leaping cat or not on a Daimler?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 06:44 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default leaping cat or not on a Daimler?

Hi all,
My Daimler like most XJ40'S never had a hood mascot. I've seen pics of other XJ40's with them including Daimlers and VDP's. Guessing they were added later. The only Daimler in Aus I've seen with an original was a '92 Magestic with a Daimler speeding D and chrome bonnet centre stripe. Looked nice.
Question is, is a leaping cat considered ok on a Daimler or should it be a speeding D or nothing? Opinions?
I personally think a 7" cat looks great on the XJ40's big bonnet. Sets it off just nice.
One other question is are they legal in Australia?

Troy

Old 10-22-2013, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Hi Troy,

The cat is illegal in most parts of europe but in Oz, I am not sure.

I only have my X Type Sport but fully intend on getting one as it is sitting in a box waiting!

I cannot question your style or taste as you have that in abundance and it shows!

I would personally do a google (or use a similar search engine), for images and have a look at different Jaguars and Daimlers to get a good visual idea of how it would look?

To my knowledge, Jaguar and Daimler have a jagged (excuse the pun?) exotic and almost quintessential history which I believe to be unequalled and absolutely refined!

I hope you will receive a few good replies to this very interesting and quizzical post?

I myself would look at all avenues and not stop until you have the perfect answer?

But in all essence, I believe you have the answer and I would go for it!

Some purists would disagree, but to me, you are the purist in this case and it's YOUR

CAR!

I hope to see your Masterpiece soon and I hope it concludes to your taste?

Most of all, Good Luck! Regards, Stu

Old 10-22-2013, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

As Stuart says it's *your* car. Do whatever strikes your fancy.

But, since you asked for opinions.....

I've never cared for owner-added leapers to begin with. On the best day, IMHO, they're just unnecessary adornments; a bit fru-fru; a shiny gee-gaw. But, that's not really what you're asking about.

A Daimler isn't a Jaguar. It's a Daimler. If I saw one on a Daimler I'd be thinking "There's a person who simply couldn't resist temptation" .

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (10-23-2013)
Old 10-22-2013, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Frankly, it's a Daimler and Daimler needs a D logo statue but Jaguar's 7" X300 spring hood leaping cat is better looking ,sorry that description might take a while to read lol
I had Daimler too and used exact emblem as my X300 did

Old 10-22-2013, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 565 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Valguard
...Question is, is a leaping cat considered ok on a Daimler...Opinions?
My first thought, absolutely not.

Upon reflection, a leaper would be as appropriate as an emblem from British Leyland, Land Rover, Ford, Tata, and maybe some others.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:32 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Troy:
As has been said, this is a matter of opinion and taste - both of which are individual! But since you asked... I never had a choice. Both my cars came with them, and you'd be hard pressed in the States to find an XJ40 without a hood ornament; or for that matter an X300 or X308. The X350s seem to be about fifty-fifty, and the newest model Jags don't generally have them. I've seen a few on Ebay with leapers and MAY have once opined that it looked like a little booger sitting on the end of a rather large nose! (Again, only opinions!!) For what it's worth, I LOVE the leapers on both my cars. I swear the one on the X308 is half again as large as the one on my '40. If you like it, go for it.

Cheers,
Scott

Old 10-23-2013, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 789 Posts

Heres my (uninformed, humble) opinion. I have always been a sucker for the oddball, unusual, or slightly off track version of anything. I drove a '62 chrysler newport for 10 years and loved it because it was so very different- many would say ugly and not be far off. Also i think i can count on 1 hand the number of daimlers i have actually seen. That said, I have to vote for Do The "D"! Because its Different. Regards, and be happy with it no matter what.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 5" or 7" Now I don't know ...

(Note that I don't expect anyone to actually solve this problem for me) but ... I got a 5" Leaper awhile back thinking it would be a bit more understated on my '93 XJ6 (still in the box waiting for me to summon up the courage to drill a couple holes in the bonnet). NOW everybody is saying a 7" looks great (which it probably would) on that large expanse of a hood (which it surely is). Oh well, back to the "thinking about it" stage.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (10-24-2013)
Old 10-24-2013, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Well Troy,
You've gone quiet.......... we are...waiting.....Lights... Camera.....

Old 10-24-2013, 01:34 PM
RCG
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

After thinking about it since the OP, I wouldn't do it.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

My first thought was "no leaper on a Daimler!" But then I remembered that my Jaguar XJ12 says "Double6" on the back! I also considered replacing the center caps with the D logo, but did not. However in the USA there are no Daimlers. Not many will get the connection my car displays. In Oz I think a leaper would get noticed and have some thinking the car is a Jaguar, until they saw the badging, and were confused and amused! That's fun.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:49 PM
Jeh
Received 174 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart Beattie
Hi Troy,

The cat is illegal in most parts of europe but in Oz, I am not sure.

I read this is and thought, you have got to be kidding. Right? but I did a search on the net and found that its true, because a person getting struck by it might be injured. As if getting hit by a car would injure you.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:11 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

I think the early model Daimlers had a D on the bonnet?

EDIT

Yes the Daimler SP250 and the DS420G

Attached Thumbnails leaping cat or not on a Daimler?-daimler.jpg   leaping cat or not on a Daimler?-zfdaimler1.jpg   leaping cat or not on a Daimler?-zfdaimler.jpg  
Attached Images   

Last edited by Cambo; 10-27-2013 at 11:27 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,853 Likes on 1,179 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo351
I think the early model Daimlers had a D on the bonnet?

EDIT

Yes the Daimler SP250 and the DS420G

Yes, they sure did!

Here's the one on my old 1964 Majestic Major (photo taken in 1967)

and no I don't still have it!!

Attached Thumbnails leaping cat or not on a Daimler?-daimler.jpg  
Old 11-01-2013, 04:13 AM

Hi all, I haven't been hiding, just been away in the Gold Coast for work, and no not at the V8 supercars.
Well I guess my opinion has actually changed. I was originally going to get a leaper for her but now am going for the "D".
I think it was because I viewed an XJ40 Daimler as a Jaguar with Daimler badges and not a Daimler in its own right, if that makes sense. I even used to called it "the Jag" and had people say "but I thought it was a Daimler".
Yes the "D" is different is what should be on her bonnet.
Next big question, where the heck do you find a "D" for an XJ40? I searched and found none a while ago which is part of why I was thinking of a leaper. Anyone have any ideas as to anyone who has them or maybe able to get them?
Cheers,
Troy

Old 11-01-2013, 04:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

A part of the original question does not appear to be answered(or I missed it) But yes no problems with the legality that I know of.

My X308 never had a leaper. No hesitation in drilling the holes and fitting a small "black chrome" Leaper. Not like my car is worth zillions and I will do what I like to/with it.

It's just all personal preference. It was made by Jaguar and if you like it,do it. You can go subtle with the smaller after market type. If you don't like after you've done it stick a flying D on...or a badge over the hole.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:42 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Troy,

I can only find one of the SP250/DS420 type advertised as available now - and it's up for auction in Japan!

tax included Daimler Daimler bonnet mascot( new goods) Britain: Real Yahoo auction salling

If you do fit a Daimler mascot, you're unlikely ever to see another one when they are this rare!

Graham

Old 11-01-2013, 05:21 AM

Cheers for that. One of the small pics on the auction looks to be just the right bonnet shape too.
Might just have to grab it

Old 11-01-2013, 06:49 AM

Then again I've never used yahoo auctions and am especially dubious of asian ones. Been burnt before on a good priced item to find a huge postage price. Way more than the small item should've cost, over doubling the price.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Valguard
Then again I've never used yahoo auctions and am especially dubious of asian ones. Been burnt before on a good priced item to find a huge postage price. Way more than the small item should've cost, over doubling the price.

Daimler bonnet mascot( new goods) Britain imported car thing .

If I was after an original bonnet emblem I would buy that "car thing" in a heartbeat. But it does look like it was designed to match into a chrome middle strip on the bonnet.

Quick Reply: leaping cat or not on a Daimler?