XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

looking for differential '91 Sovereign

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 01:20 PM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Default looking for differential '91 Sovereign

I just got the word from my shop that the differential (rear end) of my '91 Sovereign is bad. Learned that after he had already replaced the rear wheel bearings. The car runs very well, & with the money I've put into it during the last year, I'd like to keep it going for awhile longer.

Anyone know where I might find a used differential in decent condition for a reasonable price? The shop tells me it must be from a 90 to 92 only, and not from a VDP.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:27 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

sharay38:
I'd go right to coventrywest.com. I know they had diffs in stock as late as last fall. Though, I can't imagine why a VDP diff would be any different (no pun intended...) from a base or Sovereign. If you find out why, let me know! They also sell rebuild kits.
Scott

The following users liked this post:
sharay38 (02-03-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 12:03 PM

The difference between Sovereign or base XJ6 is locking (VDP) vs. non-locking. Exactly what that entails, I'm not sure.

I think I've found one. The prices have ranged from $300 to $700 & I found one for $150. My shop tells me that the labor to rebuild would be off the charts, and swap labor is bad enough.

Thanx,
Ray

Old 02-22-2013, 11:17 AM

Well, the repairs weren't quite as expensive as I was expecting - thanks to the shop owner who gave me a break. Even the mechanic commented that it runs and rides better than most newer cars. Then the left passive restraint quit working. The cable is attached to the clip where you fasten the belt...and that is what is broken. It came off loose in my hand as I was inspecting what to do. I'm thinking the smart thing to do would be obtain a combination shoulder/lap belt and just affix that to the post and undo the passive system all together.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by sharay38
The difference between Sovereign or base XJ6 is locking (VDP) vs. non-locking. Exactly what that entails, I'm not sure.

Without delving into a long discussion on the semantics of the various types of differentials I think your mechanic meant to say "limited slip" instead of "locking".

Anyhow....

I'm not at all sure that VDPs necessarily had the limited slip differnetials but, either way, it's not a requirement. If you don't care about having limited slip your field of choices would open up quite a bit

I think I've found one. The prices have ranged from $300 to $700 & I found one for $150. My shop tells me that the labor to rebuild would be off the charts, and swap labor is bad enough.

Thanx,
Ray

The differentials on the Xj40s and X300s don't have the best reputation so, IMHO, a used unit is a bit risky.....especially considering the labor charges which would be doubled if you happened to get a bad unit and had to pay labor again when/if you found a good unit.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-22-2013, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
Without delving into a long discussion on the semantics of the various types of differentials I think your mechanic meant to say "limited slip" instead of "locking".

Anyhow....

I'm not at all sure that VDPs necessarily had the limited slip differnetials but, either way, it's not a requirement. If you don't care about having limited slip your field of choices would open up quite a bit

The differentials on the Xj40s and X300s don't have the best reputation so, IMHO, a used unit is a bit risky.....especially considering the labor charges which would be doubled if you happened to get a bad unit and had to pay labor again when/if you found a good unit.

Cheers
DD
Thanks Doug. It wasn't me or my mechanic that called it "locking" vs. "non-locking", it was the advertising with every listing researched. I tend to agree that "locking" probably does refer to limited slip. Either way, apparently there is sufficient difference between the two that one won't work in place of the other.

Your advice about used parts bears merit. For various reasons, at this time it's the way for me to go.