XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

My fun new xj40 project

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My fun new xj40 project

Hey guys, so I bought this sexy 93 jag xj40 sovereign at an auction for 750$ and I would like some help. It has an assortment of issues which I was hoping you guys could help me out with

Firstly cost is no objective as I'm slowly tinkering with it, and am trying to accumulate parts.

Problem 1: The battery keeps dying, this may just be a battery but you never know. WHen I start it on booster pack it starts car but while car is running and driving the battery gauge fluctuates between 10-14. As soon as I accelerate it charges the battery so I assume its not the alternator, correct me if I'm wrong?

Problem 2: Its got a very zesty small hole starting in the trunk floor how might I attempt this? Weld in new pan or fiberglass? WHats your forte with good results?

Problem 3: None of the interior lights work at all except the dash.

Problem 4: It keeps losing power steering fluid in large amounts when running but stops when idle.

Any help is much appreciated as I positively LOVE the car to pieces!

Attached Thumbnails My fun new xj40 project-1385955_10204820520621747_719535923817123421_n.jpg  
Old 09-22-2014, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heres another angle of it

Attached Thumbnails My fun new xj40 project-1509276_10204820524101834_4485957291879830760_n.jpg  
Old 09-22-2014, 12:33 PM
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

Nice looking car, congratulations. My first advice is to obtain all of the Technical Data you can! Having this info available when you need it is indispensable!

Weld a steel patch in the floor. The fiberglass is a worthless bodge.
Have your battery tested; Advance, Autozone and so forth will test it for you for free.
Buy a GOOD Digital Volt Ohm Meter (DVOM). I am partial to Fluke meters. This tool is indispensable when you're chasing electrical problems.
Check/replace the bulbs if burned out, check presence of voltage (DVOM) at the various sockets/lighting controllers. The XJ40 is a mass/maze of electrical black boxes.

Re the power steering you're going to have to look for a split hose or steering rack or pump seal leak.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:20 PM
Received 248 Likes on 170 Posts

Congrats,

Clean every single ground on the vehicle before you start chasing the electrical issues. EVERY GROUND! In the engine bay, the boot, under the dash, on the interior firewall.....everywhere. That includes removing both battery leads completely and cleaning the studs. You may just clear some of your issues with a thorough cleaning of the grounds. Further, it gets you familiar with the locations of the various components of the vehicle.

Get a deep cell test of the battery. If they pull out the little hand held units....run! Seriously, you need the battery placed on the large test machines, and of the big box stores, I believe only O'Reilly has the proper testing machine.

You might also consider removing the fuse blocks (all of them) and closely examing the solder joints on every one of them. Members have found problems with the fuse blocks causing issues, or intermittent issues. Since the car is new to you, you might as well pull them and get it out of the way.

Power steering....you have a leak. (sorrry...couldn't help it ) Check the rack and pinion assembly, from underneath the vehicle,or go to a shop and put the vehicle up to examine. If nothing there, usual suspects, pump and all the plumbing, including the reservoir tank.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (09-23-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 11:43 PM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Evenson
Clean every single ground on the vehicle before you start chasing the electrical issues. EVERY GROUND! In the engine bay, the boot, under the dash, on the interior firewall.....everywhere. That includes removing both battery leads completely and cleaning the studs. You may just clear some of your issues with a thorough cleaning of the grounds. Further, it gets you familiar with the locations of the various components of the vehicle.
proctor,

I couldn't agree more with Rob. Below are links to photos showing the battery power connections and ground locations on our '93 and how to service them:

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

You might also consider removing the fuse blocks (all of them) and closely examing the solder joints on every one of them. Members have found problems with the fuse blocks causing issues, or intermittent issues. Since the car is new to you, you might as well pull them and get it out of the way.
Fusebox locations and servicing:

Power steering....you have a leak. (sorrry...couldn't help it ) Check the rack and pinion assembly, from underneath the vehicle,or go to a shop and put the vehicle up to examine. If nothing there, usual suspects, pump and all the plumbing, including the reservoir tank.
The rack seals and high pressure hoses can leak, but in my experience the most common leak point in the PS system is the low pressure hose from the fluid reservoir to the pump. Because of its proximity to the exhaust, it hardens and loses its ability to seal at the reservoir nipple. It's usually an easy fix, so that's what I would check first. See the photos at this link:

And just for fun, here's a little Quick Maintenance Guide someone sent me and I adapted it for the XJ40:

Cheers,

Don

Old 09-24-2014, 08:32 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Alternator

For the battery issue, its the alternator as had same problem on my end as it wrecks a battery. Take the alternator into an AutoZone Advance Auto etc. Yes it charges but the needle going up and down was the same thing I had. New alternator and belt. Key thing too on the belt I found that if its not tensioned just right... too tight or too loose, it will read 10...may squeal too. Many times I'd be at stop turning off radio or AC to keep it charging. Also, the secondary brake aux pulls a lot of voltage too while stopped at lights.