XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Need help my xj6 not starting

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 03:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help my xj6 not starting

bought car in march,it had a bad batt.i bought a new one.The car is a dream driven daily.Unfortunately n August I get a flat tire,jag stays parked w/out use for 2weeks.I try turning it on as soon as I get to change out the flat but no power,no dashboard lights, nada.I return the battery to the store where its tested.Its a faulty battery they give me another batt. then car starts and its back to normal,drives like a champ.Until lastnight decided to go for take out.I turn the ignition and it fails to start right away as usual.I try again and it turns on,drive off for food.After I get back in to start up the car fails again(hear the engine fire up and everything)but doesnt.Then I give it a second try but now theres no engine sound(By now im thinking another bad batt)keep trying but no start up my dashboard lights turn on I check gas meter its low but not empty.checked batt & its good but my passenger side windows are not working nor(same side) headlight/tailight. im lost, a fuse? starter? HELP? any info THANKS

Old 09-23-2012, 07:12 PM
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Check the rotor in the distributor. also make sure theres no water in the gas. For window check relays and fuse

The following users liked this post:
granmistah (09-24-2012)
Old 09-23-2012, 11:05 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

So if I am understanding, the car will occasionally start fine; occasionally crank but not start; and occasionally not crank at all. Since the battery is new, I'll assume that the terminals are clean and tidy. You may want check the battery cables for their connection and grounding. Otherwise, the Crankshaft position sensor can create a non-start situation. Besides that, you're going to need to begin a systematic checklist of both spark and fuel related possibilities: all of which you can find by digging around in the archives here and various forums. Let us know what you begin to find!
Scott

granmistah (09-24-2012)
Old 09-27-2012, 10:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This has happened to me

A few years ago, we had a 1993 3.2litre XJ40 and one day I parked on double yellow lines in a narrow street in Crewe to get a paint aerosol from a shop. Got back in the car and it wouldn't start. I couldn't believe it as it had been very reliable. It cranked very quickly but wouldn't catch.Then the rain started and the light started to fail, and my family started to complain....Mysery. I got the car recovered by Egertons which cost £85. The fault turned out to be a failed crankshaft sensor which I replaced from the scrappy for a couple of pounds - fitting is a sinch with just one allen key bolt. The moral is watch out! Everything can be going fine and then wham! It'll get you - it got me.

granmistah (09-29-2012)
Old 09-29-2012, 07:39 PM

thanks for your thoughts guys...I get no crank no start up only lights turn on driverside but passenger side is dead. absolutely nothing electric is working on passenger side (power seat/windows) weird. So far re-checked the ground cable and it was loose from the nut bolted on the car. I tightened it really good but still nothing. Checked fuses inside and all look good. Havent done more because Im afraid to mess something up. I will definitely look at the crankshaft sensor next. Hopefully this is the problem. I will keep posting any progress. Thx again

Old 09-29-2012, 08:26 PM
Veteran member

Check to see also to be sure your inertia switch has not tripped. There's a little switch behind the Left hand (driver's side in the US) footwell behind the fuse compartment. It immobilizes the engine from cranking.

If the crank sensor is bad, I believe the car would still crank, just not start.

Hmmm....

Scott

granmistah (09-29-2012)
Old 09-29-2012, 08:42 PM

Thanks Scott, I will try this asap! Probably later today.. So am I looking for a lever type deal that switches on/off or something that needs replacing?

-Cesar. will do a forum intro soon

Old 09-29-2012, 08:48 PM
Veteran member

Yes, it's a little switch that pops up when tripped. You should just press it back (downward, I think - but don't quote me.) There's nothing that needs replacing.

cheers!
Scott

granmistah (09-29-2012)
Old 09-29-2012, 08:58 PM

I dont want to get my hopes up but it be a grrreat day if that was it ! my Jag just parked, isnt cool.

im crossing my fingers

Old 10-07-2012, 03:26 PM

I checked for inertia switch but what I found didnt seem to be popped up..well I pressed it and it was sunked in already. another thing I did was press the vcm and it reads Fuse 1 then PAO? Whats this mean? Also theres a red lighting sign and battery that stays lid when I leave the keys in ignition.. Im going nuts without my car I didnt want to spend hundreds at a shop but looks like I have no other choice . any last comments or advice will help thank you

Old 10-07-2012, 05:08 PM
Veteran member

What year is this car?

I also think "PAO" may in fact be "PAD" - in reference to a brake pad wear sensor, which could be at fault; or you could need a brake pad! I'm not positive about that. I hope others will chime in and correct me.

Hard to think how the fuse fault could be related to your battery drain, but who knows. I would replace fuse 1 - which I think in my '91 is located in the center console. The fact that the battery fault stays lit suggests to me that you are at least barking up the right tree. Again, are you positive your alternator is charging? If the light stays lit when the car is running, the owner's handbook suggests either excessive battery voltage or a bad alternator. Personally, I'd get that checked out by a technician.

This car, over time, will cost you some shop money - unless you're a capable mechanic and willing to devote yourself to the research. You should, though, find yourself a good, independent Jaguar tech. I just think of it as the trade off for driving an otherwise reliable and graceful automobile.

Scott