XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Newbie here with a starting issue..

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 10:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyJag
It was moved to the XJ40 forum since you own a XJ40. The XJ40 is model designator used by Jaguar for the 88-94 XJ6. The section you originally posted in is for the previous model. Hope that clears up the confusion for you.

I would pm christo here on the forum or post up in his thread for the JTIS download on your jag. It is a complete factory service manual and will aid you greatly in trying to track down parts and repair the starter system on your jag.
Thank you so much kind sir....greatly appreciated by you and all who've read, and contributed to this thread....As it sits in my parking space, i took time to admire the craftsmanship, and detail of these fine vehicles. Wow it's amazes me that this is a 1993...
I shall take your advice Armyjag....how helpful are the haynes manuals on these? Misleading? Or accurate? I'm thinking about investing in one just as a carry around bible...

Old 07-22-2009, 11:44 AM

Just finished going through the entire vehicle looking for the manual(s) (with the exception of the glove cause it won't open for some reason......i'll save that for another thread i supposed) and i found the manuals in the trunk under the panels!! ...it says that (in the relay location and id section) that the starter relay on this model is behind the passenger side knee bolster....and it's module connector colour is blue...so it's off for more test kind lads....i'll tell you what i found!

Old 07-22-2009, 01:05 PM

(insert eye popping icon here) wow....so i finally have the relay..are these relays prone to fail? I'm not too sure how to test this unit? I've never seen a relay like this before....i'm more accustomed to the spdt relays and such...on the reverse side of this module it says 4 starter solenoid....

Old 07-22-2009, 01:58 PM

Name:  SSPX0196.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  68.4 KB
The harness attached to the relay (door unlock, door lock, mirror heaters, and starter solenoid)
Name:  SSPX0195.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  43.5 KB
(closer imagine)
Name:  SSPX0194.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  37.9 KB
Harness itself

Old 07-22-2009, 11:02 PM

Name:  SSPX0202.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  31.5 KB
The Relay/Module

Pins (end)

insides of relay (again these are all new to me, so it's pretty fascinating...trying to figure out the mechanics on these)

Name:  SSPX0201.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  38.9 KB
Another view of inside

Old 07-22-2009, 11:06 PM

so far i just put the relay back in and checked to see if the doors lock/unlock (i couldn't test the mirror heaters) now i'm trying to figure out what wire(s) go to the starter....from there i'm going to apply 12volts directly to it to see if i can hear the starter....i'll keep you guys posted.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:22 AM

UPDATE- Strange....this morning i applied 12 volts to the thick white wire on the relay harness for the starter and nothing...so i actually when and disconnected the harness for the starter (located above the starter, on the firewall) and applied 12 volts to that directly and success!!! The starter does turn!.....i then tested for continuity from the starter harness in the engine bay....with the one in the vehicle labeled starter (from the relay) and got nothing.....for giggles i tested the entire harness itself and still got nothing.....strange?!...I then had my son turn (and hold) the key while i manually start the starter...and nothing....just keeps turning...*sighs* so moving on....i have to

1.) Test for fuel....and test for spark

2.) See why 12 volts isn't going to the starter harness

Old 07-25-2009, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by JagtechOhio
A 1993 Jaguar XJ6, and a diminutive intellect.
I was reading my lifeless thread last night a couple of times to see where i may have "done wrong" and i think it was the part where i said "
the 10th character on the VIN# is a "P" ...sheesh what do i own?" that made you reply " A 1993 Jaguar XJ6, and a diminutive intellect.
"....i honestly didn't mean the sheesh what do i own statement towards you (it was like i was thinking out loud).....so if you took it wrong then i sincerely apologize....i just want to get my jaguar up and running like mostly everybody else does on here and cause no trouble.....

thank you

Old 07-25-2009, 11:38 AM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks, but you don't owe me an apology, I'm a squatter here just like you. The problem is that people ask questions about diagnosing their cars as if there were secrets that could be answered by mystics who give you the magic words. All of it takes thought , effort, the correct resource information, and precision. Talking someone through diagnotic steps takes a wiring diagram on the desk and a ridiculous amount of time, made worse when the novice reader understandably is not familiar with the terminology used.

I have done it many times before, and it is largely pointless. So is my sarcasm.

The main reason I entered this thread was to put a stop to the misinformation that it was breeding. Now you are on the right track, and with the ingedients I listed above you will get your car cooking.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Am I the only one who thinks the electrical part of the ignition switch might be bad?

Old 07-25-2009, 02:51 PM

That's possible but not likely on this particular vehicle. I always shortcut the process by hotwiring the solenoid at the connector at the rear of the intake manifold, so I know the starter is working and now have to trace back for the feed on the schematic. I think our lad has already discovered that his starter works: the relay is the likely suspect to be confirmed, and he's looking in the right place.

Start inhibit for the relay is performed by the rotary switch on the transmission selector shaft on a 1993, and I have not seen one fail on any similarly equipped 1990-1994 XJ6. No bad ignition switches either, but you never say never. Trace and test.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:01 PM

Funny story today...i had a little time to mess with the Jag today and i decided to give the security switch and the inertia switch (just to eliminate the possibities) the inertia switch (directed by our kind JaguarOhioTech in another thread) failed...it seemed pretty simple though (locating the black box in the drivers kick panel there's a button on top....push it in and then pull it up/out..) the security switch was the funny part......as i'm performing the sequence (that i found in a thread) turning the switch on, i pressed the actual button INTO the center console... so i had to take the center console apart in order to get the swtich out so that i may continue my investigation...anywho..i turned the switch on...then turning the key in position 1, turning the switch off, then position 0....toggling the switch on and off (i don't hear a sound but i see the domelight come on and off quickly assuming the sequence worked) and nothing....

Old 07-26-2009, 03:09 PM

ok....a few things (sorry if i sound annoying here) and i appreciate your contributions and attention to this thread....i should first start off by my having to say that i have to connect jumper cables to the jaguar since the battery is always dead....so with that said i place jumper cables on the jaguar before i perform my troubleshoots....today (once i got back from doing my errands) i tried to apply 12 volts to the actual starter today and it only turns once and kind of rests...(uh oh) i tried on a number of occassions to jmp the starter and it sounds tired....is the starter going out on me? ....tell me it isn't so, tell me it isn't so

Old 07-26-2009, 03:48 PM

Nothing happens before you get a good battery in the car.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:16 AM

Might sound like the smart thing to do...i'm a little strapped for cash so my apologizes for a stupid question....is a charged battery (kept on a charger) equilivant to a new battery?

Old 07-27-2009, 11:31 AM

Nope.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

You may also use battery jump starter if you can find someone who would give it for you as a try .

Old 07-27-2009, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by cadillac
You may also use battery jump starter if you can find someone who would give it for you as a try .
Is this doable? attaching another vehicle (using jump cables) to the jaguar's battery and then perform the dianostics? If so....this is exactly what i tried to do and the starter sounded tired....sounds like (when i apply 12 volts directly to the starter itself) it does a slow halfcrank (if that makes sense) it's weird cause i tried to apply 12 volts directly to the starter (the first day i got it) and it was cranking fine...

Old 07-28-2009, 03:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRooki3
Is this doable? attaching another vehicle (using jump cables) to the jaguar's battery and then perform the dianostics? If so....this is exactly what i tried to do and the starter sounded tired....sounds like (when i apply 12 volts directly to the starter itself) it does a slow halfcrank (if that makes sense) it's weird cause i tried to apply 12 volts directly to the starter (the first day i got it) and it was cranking fine...
I meant there are some jump starter kits like Black&Decker ,you don't need another donor vehicle thanks to this kit . Most boat owners also use a similar devices called as battery conditioner .

As far as I know, vehicle to vehicle jump starting is not recommended