XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

no start then sort of OK but ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 04:50 PM
Received 12,739 Likes on 6,380 Posts

My new Walbro pump was virtually identical to the OE pump but did not come with either the tapered or castellated rubber seals. And since Jaguar only offered the "fuel pump module" (including the plastic canister) as a replacement part, they won't be any help.

One thought is that you might be able to improvise by applying a gasoline/petrol-safe sealant around the pump at those two points, then sitting the pump in the proper location in the canister and allowing the sealant to cure overnight.

I'm not certain which sealant would be the best choice, but Permatex probabably makes something. Maybe this:

Amazon.com: Permatex 85420 Permashield Fuel Resistant Gasket Dressing & Sealant, 2 oz Tube: Automotive Amazon.com: Permatex 85420 Permashield Fuel Resistant Gasket Dressing & Sealant, 2 oz Tube: Automotive

Another idea would be to contact Walbro to see if they can supply the correct rubber seals, since they made them in the first place.

Cheers,

Don

The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (09-08-2015), Lawrence (09-07-2015)
Old 09-07-2015, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,854 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Good ideas Don, I guess building one out of silicone as you suggest is probably my best chance.

After looking at the design and function of that rubber bit, bit of a puzzle how and why it disintegrated like that - also, as far as I can see, it's primary purpose is to locate the pump into the pickup housing at the bottom of the canister - the gap on one side of the plastic receptacle is where the gas would enter the pump, right?, so I'm not sure the broken rubber would affect the suction/throughput - unless those bits clogged the intake - or am I missing something?

Larry

Old 09-07-2015, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lawrence
After looking at the design and function of that rubber bit, bit of a puzzle how and why it disintegrated like that - also, as far as I can see, it's primary purpose is to locate the pump into the pickup housing at the bottom of the canister - the gap on one side of the plastic receptacle is where the gas would enter the pump, right?, so I'm not sure the broken rubber would affect the suction/throughput - unless those bits clogged the intake - or am I missing something?

I'm not really sure - I would suggest you ask jaguarpete at the Jag-Lovers forum. There's something about a venturi built into the canister, and Pete understands it and can probably answer your question.

Have you tested the old pump with 12V? Just curious how/if it runs. Even if it runs great, I assume you'll install the new pump anyway for the peace of mind?

The following users liked this post:
93SB (09-08-2015)
Old 09-07-2015, 07:49 PM
Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

I can't remember if the new pump came with that seal or not,in my case the hidden rubber bits in the can were suspect,so I did away with the design and made things work logically.

Does the pump still work?Are the leads in the tank/evap flange still good?

How is the inside of the tank?
Should I speed up the process on Redd? I know it still works....

Cheers,Jim.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member

I've uploaded the pix over there too Don, hopefully Pete will see them and get back to me with an explanation.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member

All the leads and connections are fine and the pump runs. The tank is fine (clean) too.

Pumps don't come with that bit!

Jim I noticed in your modified design you didn't use that bit although it's in a couple of your pix - did you save it or toss it?

Last edited by Lawrence; 09-07-2015 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:34 PM

I made sure I installed it,I am of the thinkin that it is there to quell vibration and locate the pump inside the can.

If the pump runs,jump it and use a bit of fuel line to test it in a can of paint thinner or such.

You could use fuel,but the ka-boom is scary to me.

Pinch off the fuel feed,40 LBS?,a tee guage in line could tell a healthy pump.

Stuff it back in the can and recheck.With Champ=BAD CAN

Hang in there Larry,Jim.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:55 PM

I've uploaded the pix over there too Don, hopefully Pete will see them and get back to me with an explanation.
Larry,

I hope you'll understand the explanation better than I do. When Pete starts talking about venturis and eductors my eyes glaze over.

Jim,

I recall that some of the Jag-Lovers members have done away with the canister altogether. Is that what you did in your modification?

Don

Old 09-07-2015, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Don B
Larry,

I hope you'll understand the explanation better than I do. When Pete starts talking about venturis and eductors my eyes glaze over.

Jim,

I recall that some of the Jag-Lovers members have done away with the canister altogether. Is that what you did in your modification?

Don
Don, I've had a couple of hours to thimk about what's going on with the canister and as far as I can tell, that seal only functions as a locator and vibration insulator. It probably got damaged when I opened the canister - I can't see any other possibility.

I'd like to fix it of course but unfortunately permatex etc isn't the way to go, as the only flavour that holds up in gas is that stuff you noted - however it doesn't ever set up or solidify.

I'm toying with reusing it at it's 75-80% efficiency, maybe orienting the missing piece to the rear of the locator or making something up, either using some gas-impermeable rubber or even going modelT old school on it and making one out of leather.

We'll see what happens when the new pump gets here; that'll be decision time for sure.

Cheers

Larry

Old 09-07-2015, 10:58 PM

Larry,when the new pump arrives,then you could properly test that can,or simply do my little mod,makes the can into a holder only.

We have 8000 Km's on Champ's mod,with no ill effects.

Champ saw some peculiar running,and then die,start up,low power,then come good,before she died on the bridge!

Here are some pics of what I did,hope this helps,Jim.

Attached Thumbnails no start then sort of OK but ...-gas-tank-fuel-mod-011.jpg   no start then sort of OK but ...-gas-tank-fuel-mod-012.jpg   no start then sort of OK but ...-gas-tank-fuel-mod-017.jpg   no start then sort of OK but ...-gas-tank-fuel-mod-018.jpg   no start then sort of OK but ...-gas-tank-fuel-mod-019.jpg  

no start then sort of OK but ...-gas-tank-fuel-mod-023.jpg   no start then sort of OK but ...-gas-tank-fuel-mod-024.jpg   no start then sort of OK but ...-gas-tank-fuel-mod-026.jpg   no start then sort of OK but ...-gas-tank-fuel-mod-030.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by manwich66:
93SB (09-08-2015), Don B (11-17-2015), Lawrence (09-07-2015)
Old 09-07-2015, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member

Jim, Seen all your pics and re-read "Champ died" many times since this all started, so well versed in your pix, but thanks anyway!

I checked the flapper valve on the eductor pipe base and it's working as it should, still not sure what the "blue donut seal" that Joe and Win on jaglovers are referring to as "burst", maybe theirs are blue but there's buggerall blue in my canister!

I should mention that the filter sock on my pump (outside) was very filthy and in my opinion severely restricted. Fuel filter was full of crap too. Other than that, everything seems ok ..I sure hope I didn't mess up and mis-diagnose this thing as a fuel issue ...still, I had no priming sound and no pressure when I swapped the filter and the plugs were dry and the pump didn't run when I jumpered the relay ...either that or I am going a bit more deaf than the old lady says and the pump did run!!

Hate to put it all back together and the car still doesn't fire up eh?

lets hope not!

Larry

Old 09-08-2015, 09:46 AM

If I understand the purpose of the canister, it is to keep the pump primed and with a ready supply of fuel for faster starting and less susceptibility to starvation from fuel sloshing in the tank when the level is low.

The eductor draws fuel into the canister by venturi action (?), and the check valve on the eductor keeps the fuel from leaking back out of the canister. A second check valve at the outlet of the pump (I think it's built into the evaporative flange?) prevents pressure developed by the pump from dissipating back into the fuel tank. The check valve works with the FPR to keep the fuel rail pressurized for faster starts and proper atomization of fuel through the injectors, and it may also reduce the workload on the fuel pump.

Larry, while you have your canister apart, can you figure out if there really is a check valve in the flange, and if so, test yours to see if it is operating properly, with no backflow allowed?

As long as you don't let the fuel level in the tank to get too low (so the fuel pump doesn't lose its priming), Jim's mod should work just fine, but it would probably be a good idea to add an inline check valve somewhere between the pump and fuel rail. The easiest place to add a check valve is in the rubber fuel hose in the engine bay near the fuel rail:

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

I bought our inexpensive check valve and fittings from McMaster-Carr (mcmaster.com).

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 09-08-2015 at 09:49 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (09-08-2015), Lawrence (09-08-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 10:58 AM

Yup,there is a check valve,built into the outlet of the can.It it a brass barb,with a hex that looks like it will unscrew from the top of the can.

It does not unscrew!It is pressed in.There is a small brass piston,with an O ring,and stainless spring beneath it.

I pulled mine out,replaced the O ring,and pressed it back in.I also installed a setscrew to make sure it won't come back out.

I looked at Don's idea about a separate check valve,but when I was done with mine I was satisfied with the result.

Easy to check,just back pressurize the hose nipple on the can outlet.

And yes,totally agree the design of this thing is to prevent fuel starvation on a low fuel situation.

I left the return line setup alone so it will fill the can,cool the pump,and the rest of the fuel will exit the can around the pump inlet.

My new pump inlet draws fuel from within 1/2 inch of the bottom of the tank.

The new inlet strainer snaps nicely over my new pump inlet.Cin runs the tank down into the red on a regular basis,no problems.

If I had a do-over,I would investigate an external pump setup.

If there are foibles to these cars,fuel pumps and brake systems take the cake!

Cheers as usual,Jim and Cin.

The following 3 users liked this post by manwich66:
93SB (09-08-2015), Don B (11-17-2015), Lawrence (09-08-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Don, I've got the top of the canister here and so we know what we're talking about, have labelled the components 1 through 5

underside of fuel canister lid

Item 1 is a check valve that allows entry into the canister but prevents exit, it appears to work properly.

The tube at #2 fits over the long eductor pipe at the base of the canister and seals with an o-ring. There's a check valve at the base of the eductor pipe which also functions normally AFAIK.

The pump outlet brass pipe fits into the part labelled #3.

#4 is the brass fuel outlet.

#5 is simply a isolator that locates in socket on the pump.

If I blow up the tube #2 the air comes out of #3. The reverse is also true, so that passage from the pump outlet is unrestricted.
Backflow to the pump is checked by the valve at the base of the eductor tube outlet to the tank. This is the valve that failed in Jim's canister AFAIK.

If I blow through the fuel outlet #4, the flow is blocked. I would have thought that sucking (unpleasant as it is) on that pipe would allow free flow but it seems severely restricted - even contorting to blow up through #3 the flow seems very minimal but of course the pressure from the pump would be far greater that this old pair of lungs of mine!!

so that's how those components behave in my canister, if there's a fault I think it must be in the fuel outlet between 3 and 4, but possibly it's supposed to behave that way?

cheers

Larry

The following 2 users liked this post by Lawrence:
93SB (09-08-2015), Don B (09-08-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by manwich66
Yup,there is a check valve,built into the outlet of the can.It it a brass barb,with a hex that looks like it will unscrew from the top of the can.

It does not unscrew!It is pressed in.There is a small brass piston,with an O ring,and stainless spring beneath it.
Hey Jim, springs and pistons eh, no wonder it felt restricted given my feeble blowing ability!

Still trying to find out what the heck is the "blue donut seal" is ... although ...I suppose it must be the seal that grips the pump outlet pipe - maybe you can only see the "blue" bit when it's kaput?

Cheers

Larry

Last edited by Lawrence; 09-08-2015 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:40 AM

My lungs are shot too!

Vacume and pressure test the brass nipple,that's where the ckeck valve is.

Between 2 and 3 is unrestricted,had mine out,see right thru.

5 and 1 are what they are,no worries.

The can base is where Champ went wrong.Fuel was allowed to go up,over and down,without any pressure at the outlet nipple!

Buzzing happily away,getting hotter and hotter,recirculating fuel within the can itself.

At that point,I realized that it's 24 years old,and it's a design failure I can't fix.

Logically,Mr Spock........?

Cheers,Jim.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:45 AM

The only blue I saw was my face in the mirror from all that blowin an suckin...

Jim.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by manwich66
The only blue I saw was my face in the mirror from all that blowin an suckin...

Jim.
:i con_smile:

tracking at Canada post says pump will be delivered today ..decision time folks!!

Last edited by Lawrence; 09-08-2015 at 11:51 AM. Reason: addl' info
Old 09-08-2015, 01:11 PM

If I blow through the fuel outlet #4, the flow is blocked. I would have thought that sucking (unpleasant as it is) on that pipe would allow free flow but it seems severely restricted - even contorting to blow up through #3 the flow seems very minimal but of course the pressure from the pump would be far greater that this old pair of lungs of mine!!

so that's how those components behave in my canister, if there's a fault I think it must be in the fuel outlet between 3 and 4, but possibly it's supposed to behave that way?

I've never heard of the check valve failing in a blocked position, so I'm guessing you just need more pressure to open it.

I didn't test the check valve in our canister becuase I was in a hurry to replace the fuel pump in a day and a half while 6 hours from home. The check valve I ordered from McMaster-Carr required a minimum of 1 psi to open, but some of the aftermarket fuel check valves I researched required 5 psi to open. I wonder if the valve in the canister lid requires more psi than your lungs can deliver? If you have either an air compressor or vacuum pump you could try one of those to see if you can get one-way airflow with a little more pressure.

Regarding the new fuel pump, I don't know how pricey it was, but personally I would install the new one to lower the odds of having to pull the tank again in the near future.

Cheers,

Don

93SB (09-08-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Don B
I've never heard of the check valve failing in a blocked position, so I'm guessing you just need more pressure to open it.

I didn't test the check valve in our canister becuase I was in a hurry to replace the fuel pump in a day and a half while 6 hours from home. The check valve I ordered from McMaster-Carr required a minimum of 1 psi to open, but some of the aftermarket fuel check valves I researched required 5 psi to open. I wonder if the valve in the canister lid requires more psi than your lungs can deliver? If you have either an air compressor or vacuum pump you could try one of those to see if you can get one-way airflow with a little more pressure.

Regarding the new fuel pump, I don't know how pricey it was, but personally I would install the new one to lower the odds of having to pull the tank again in the near future.

Cheers,

Don
Hi Don, I did just check the lid/outlet/valve with my vacuum pump and it seems to be ok.

I am planning on installing the new pump for sure.

Just spoke to the postie who told me the pump was at the depot but didn't make it on to the truck today, maybe tomorrow.

Larry

Don B (09-08-2015)

Quick Reply: no start then sort of OK but ...