XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Pimp My Cat?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 04:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pimp My Cat?

An 89 Vanden Plas is what I have. The owner before me and myself have taken very good care of the car. I live my car. Some may know the story behind it the 'Oh No. What have I done?' topic.

Anywho, since I've had it I've wanted to make it a fast cat. I get a variety of opinions on the topic. I am aware of the fact that I can’t go to a store or even an online one and buy performance parts like for example a Mustang. One is way more common than the other. All my repairs have been pricey but I don’t mind. Aside from the technical reasons of not enhancing it, I’m threatened with the price. I currently the car runs great. At about 200,000 miles I’m extremely happy. The only ‘issue’ at the moment are all cosmetic; paint, interior parts falling off, upholstery, etc. This is what I want: new upholstery and fix all the falling trim inside. I see this as an easy fix. Even cheap. What I really want is more ponies under the hood. Like a supercharge or turbocharger. Some says it’s not worth it, car too heavy, will become problematic, expensive, not really possible, etc. Let’s say money is not an issue, can I really get a super/turbo charger on my engine? Would I be better off just putting another engine in there? This is my project like any other project car, so buying another car is not really an option. I want to fix this one up. I know people put all their time and money into a car that they never or rarely drive. I want any suggestions and criticism on this idea. I get a lot of ‘its not worth it’ but I see the same with those that fix up 50s-70s cars. Those are old cars ready to collapse. If I do this what must I do? Meaning, if I upgrade the engine let’s say, what else must mirror it? Brakes? Suspension? Intake? Exhaust? Off course I would ask the person doing it what must be done, but the more I know from more people the better. An 89 Vanden Plas is what I have. The owner before me and myself have taken very good care of the car. I live my car. Some may know the story behind it the 'Oh No. What have I done?' topic.

Anywho, since I've had it I've wanted to make it a fast cat. I get a variety of opinions on the topic. I am aware of the fact that I can’t go to a store or even an online one and buy performance parts like for example a Mustang. One is way more common than the other. All my repairs have been pricey but I don’t mind. Aside from the technical reasons of not enhancing it, I’m threatened with the price. I currently the car runs great. At about 200,000 miles I’m extremely happy. The only ‘issue’ at the moment are all cosmetic; paint, interior parts falling off, upholstery, etc. This is what I want: new upholstery and fix all the falling trim inside. I see this as an easy fix. Even cheap. What I really want is more ponies under the hood. Like a supercharge or turbocharger. Some says it’s not worth it, car too heavy, will become problematic, expensive, not really possible, etc. Let’s say money is not an issue, can I really get a super/turbo charger on my engine? Would I be better off just putting another engine in there? This is my project like any other project car, so buying another car is not really an option. I want to fix this one up. I know people put all their time and money into a car that they never or rarely drive. I want any suggestions and criticism on this idea. I get a lot of ‘its not worth it’ but I see the same with those that fix up 50s-70s cars. Those are old cars ready to collapse. If I do this what must I do? Meaning, if I upgrade the engine let’s say, what else must mirror it? Brakes? Suspension? Intake? Exhaust? Off course I would ask the person doing it what must be done, but the more I know from more people the better.

Old 11-17-2007, 03:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts
Default RE: Pimp My Cat?

Since there is notsuch aftermarket parts for your car , may be some custom turbo system should be design but that's not a good way ,you better buy another engine for your car .
If we talk about an original Jag engine the very 1st thing cames in my mind XJR's engine .I alreadyasked and only gettin an XJR compressor will not work .You will need all the components associated with XJR engine such as tranny, PCM and other engine components .
You know this is not a cost effective but it seems it doesn't matter for you .You can also try LT1, LS7 engines due to aftermarket resourcesand modifiability but I am one of the guys who defend a Jag should carry a Jag engine .
Id Mosselman had a turbo kit for Jags ,I would say go for it

Old 12-21-2007, 05:06 PM

I asked the same question but i was told the bottom end of our xj's cant handle FI. Our cranks/rods/pistons are just cast iron and not forged. If your looking to make it a fast jag i would suggest finding a ls1/T-56 combo and looking for conversion kits online. I have yet to find one. Ford bought Jaguar in 88 i think and they rushed to approve the XJ models because they didnt want ford to change the design of the engine bay becuase they figured ford wanted to drop a v8 in. But instead they changed the engine bay in some mid 90 years thus u got XJ12. I would just turbo the Jag and not rag on it until u can find some forged internals for this engine(check outhttp://www.jagweb.com/aj6eng/index.phpthey are very helpful). Im sure once u hit over 5psi you'll find your Crank either in the oil pan or on the road.

Old 12-23-2007, 03:22 PM

I am yet to find anything. Even though I wanted to stay away from a conversion, it seems the most practical. I've only found one good source: http://jaguarspecialties.com/XJ40-V8.asp

Old 12-23-2007, 07:43 PM

I am not one to see anybody casterate a good kitty but a friend of mine put a 350 c.i. crate motor in his kitty beefed up to the hilt and damn does that kitty Purrrr.... or should I say hiss.....It straight haulsASS!!!!!!!!!!