XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Please respond! Whining Noise!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 02:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Please respond! Whining Noise!

Hey everyone! 1989 XJ6 (XJ40)

I regret to say, i've been put in a position where I need to sell my Jag. I've cleaned her up, and she looks beautiful it brings tears to my eyes.

Lately, there has been this "whining" and intermittent "pinging" noise occurring. It increases in pitch and consistency when I accelerate, especially in the morning after she's been sitting for the night. I can't really pin point it. I know it's coming from the engine bay, somewhere in front and a bit to the right of the drivers seat. When I get up to speed, I barely hear it if at all and it seems like the longer I drive for an extended period of time, the less it exists. My guess would be the fuel pump, all though it only exists when I have my foot on the gas. I haven't noticed it if I put it in neutral and step on the gas, but I haven't really fully tested that either.

I'm scared to push it, because i'm not very financially able to repair this car. It sort of fell in my lap when I really needed to get back on my feet, but now that I am somewhat back on my feet, if this car breaks down, I lose everything i've worked for.

I just got an offer that is above market value for the vehicle from some amateur Jaguar enthusiasts like myself and I have prayed a million times that this sale goes through, but I feel like this whining noise might be a deal breaker. While not necessarily affecting the performance of the car, it is definitely evident. I need to find a way to quick fix this (which is probably not possible) or to somewhat mute the noise for the time being. I will obviously let the potential buyer know, but I don't want them to be so thrown off buy a noise that could realistically be next to nothing. I really need this to happen before something REALLY wrong happens and i'm out of a car, then by extension; out of a job, food, roof over my head, etc.

Old 04-10-2018, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 789 Posts

Hi, I'm sorry you are selling. Are you sure the whining is from the front? These cars tend to have bearings go bad in the rear end, but there's not a lot to go on. Check power steering fluid, make sure belts are tight, just the usual kind of "look under that hood and see what's going on"... pinging could be bad/ low octane fuel, or maybe a rattle from a loose exhaust heat shield. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (04-10-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 05:18 PM
Received 12,725 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Hi Nick,

Whining from the front of the engine that increases with engine speed often indicates failure of the bearings in one or more of the belt-driven components, which include the alternator, A/C compressor, secondary air injection pump, power steering pump and water pump. There are no idler pulleys on an AJ6 engine.

With an inexpensive mechanic's stethoscope, or a long socket extension or screwdriver used as a stethoscope, you can very carefully probe around these components with the engine running, taking care not to touch the belt or any rotating pulleys with the stethoscope probe or extension/screwdriver. By this method you can usually identify the source of the whine.

Regarding the pinging noise, as Jerry mentions, incorrect fuel will lead to pinging, which is dangerous as it indicates detonation or pre-ignition that can damage the engine. Are you using premium gasoline with an octane rating of at least 91?

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 04-10-2018 at 06:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
93SB (04-15-2018)