XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Power Steering Leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 08:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Power Steering Leak

I was wondering if anyone has tackled this situation. I've had a leak in the PS system for a while. I've replaced the high and low pressure lines. After finally getting it to my mechanic and testing the steering on the lift, we were able to locate the source of the problem. Apparently, the leak originates from where the coupling of the steering column to the rack and pinion system. The fix is to replace the seals for the valve and pinion (JLM10839). I found a source for the parts and have reviewed the Jaguar manual for the procedure. Apparently, the rack and pinion system does not have to be removed.

I have been gaining more mechanical savvy during my 1+ years owning the car. Has anyone here made such a repair and is it true the the rack can remain in place?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Hi Fritterfan,

Some years ago I had a power steering leak in a 90 XJ6. I found out from a friend of mine that adding about a capful of brake fluid to the power steering reservoir stopped the leak at least for a while. Apparently the brake fluid made the seals swell up enough to stop the leak. Strange, but it worked and I didn't have to spend so much money on the Castrol fluid.

Mike

Old 07-09-2009, 07:26 AM

Carelm,

Thanks for the reply. I like your solution however it's making me scratch my head : ) I thought that it's not good to add another type of fluid to the system due to incompatibility. How long did this solution take care of the problem?

Returning to my original question, I still need to know if the rack needs to be dropped for access.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

I did this for about two years until I traded it in for a 96 XJ6. You're right about being a head scratcher. My friend did this for his XJS. Not sure about your original question though.

Mike

Old 07-09-2009, 09:28 AM

Carelm,

I did get a response from another Jaguar group that indicated that the project can take place without removing the rack however, he suggests to remove the rack so that it can be cleaned and so forth. The rack is in good shape and I really don't feel confident in my skills to proceed with this. As far as I'm concerned, if the rack has to be dropped, I should install a new one which I really don't have the $$ for right now.

I will ask my mechanic later today regarding your suggestion. So far, I've tried some of these crazy quick fixes suggested for these cars and they do work. One of the more recent examples was regarding my power steering reservoir cap gasket. A suggestion was to replace the gasket with pool liner. Thant actually worked like a champ.

Anyway, I will report the results of my mechanic's recommendations later today.

All I know is that I really hate it when my cars leak!!!

Old 07-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Default Follow up

Discussed the addition of brake fluid with my mechanic. He did indicate that although brake fluid will swell the rubber as previously indicated, it may cause potential damage in the rack and pinion system. In addition, when it is time to actually replace the valve and pinion parts in question, the entire power steering system has to be completely cleaned out in order to remove any potential residue that remains. For the temporary fix that this may exhibit, the ramifications down the line may be more trouble than it's worth.

Perhaps if I was going to keep the vehicle for a short period of time, this would be fine.

As you can tell that the majority of people in this forum love their vehicles, doing something like this may not be in the best interest for our mechanically adopted cat(s).

Thanks for the response. All information and options is truly appreciated.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't bother rebuilding that rack if it's the original style. They updated that rack in 93 or 94, can't remember...so long ago. I would put the newer style rack in it and be done. Meridian rebuilds these racks and are a dime a dozen. Save the headache for another time. The newer style does fit, we do them when these cars come in with this issue, which isn't that often anymore.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:01 AM
Unhappy

PoBoyBlues,

I've been looking at rack and pinion replacements. I've seen prices from $425 to just under $200 for my make and model. Unfortunately, I don't have the funds right now to purchase the unit and pay to have it installed. I wish I was a bit more mechanically inclined to do a job like this one. Also, this job will require a lift. I don't think that floor jacks will cut it for access and leverage to undo old bolts.