XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Radio problem and does not ask for code!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 05:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Radio problem and does not ask for code!

Hello everyone i am in need of some help here is the rundown of the events:

My original XJ40 alpine radio's cassete player belt snapped, once it did it refused to not only accept cassettes but also play the radio or the CD changer on the speakers, no sound at all.

i got it out, took it to get the belt replaced as i thought maybe it got confused and thinks it still has a cassette in. once it was fixed it still would refuse to put any sound on the speakers be it the radio, CD changer on now working cassette player.

I found a thread on XJ40. com about a chip that can go bad and cause the radio not to have sound, https://www.xj40.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=7451 chip changed, no sound still.

After that, because i live in Serbia and didn't want to order a radio from the UK if i did not need to i actually managed to track down a radio here but to my shock , when plugged in to the car, it does not propmpt the regular two messages -CODE- or -WAIT- instead it shows this message -****- four stars and refuses to let any numbers be pressed, we changed the original code by resoldering but still , four stars and no buttons accepted. We tried replacing the display from that one to mine and back, no change.

does anyone know what these issues could be? i have never seen a radio display **** instead of asking for code nor do we have any ideas on what to try with my original radio which refuses to play sound on the speakers,

someone please help!

thanks in advance,

Stefan S.

Old 09-17-2018, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,125 Likes on 790 Posts

Can you take one or both radios to the place that changed your belt to have them tested? Maybe there was another problem that caused the cassette belt to Seem broken when it really wasn't? Could it be that your antenna has broken?

Old 09-17-2018, 06:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good evening Jerry, thanks for the reply, well the radios are both at the repair shop but they have tried everything and that is why they have asked me to post here to see if anyone has had any similar problem which they have solved as they have done everything from checking soldering to changing chips so at this point all of us are out of ideas how to fix either problem, be it the radio that is mute or the one showing stars ....