XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Replacing Dash Bulbs with LEDs?

Old 05-09-2014, 10:47 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacing Dash Bulbs with LEDs?

Hi, I recently did some work on my gauge cluster (replaced the lens and the VCM housing off a used gauge cluster I bought on eBay) and when I plugged everything back in, the bulbs for the odometer no longer work. I realized this when I turned the knob and everything illuminated but the odometer. Now, I can always cannibalize the eBay cluster for bulbs, but I am wondering if anyone has tried using LEDs? I don't want to be blinded by the gauges like on new cars, but something a little brighter would be nice. Thoughts?

Old 05-09-2014, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,853 Likes on 1,179 Posts

I think there's a post in the archives about switching to led's - I read some time ago that someone had done this successfully - I think the thread was on this forum but just in case, check jag lovers archive too.

The following 3 users liked this post by Lawrence:
93SB (05-10-2014), albeee (05-12-2014), Don B (05-12-2014)
Old 05-09-2014, 04:35 PM
Received 12,696 Likes on 6,364 Posts

Larry is correct (as usual)! There was definitely a thread on this on the Jag-Lovers XJ40 forum and the owner who used LEDs was very pleased with the results. You just have to be sure you get the LEDs oriented so the voltage polarity will be correct or they won't illuminate, and you'll probably want standard brightness and not the super-bright LEDs. Search the archives at J-L.

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
93SB (05-10-2014)
Old 05-11-2014, 07:22 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default domination or ego

Don B has a record or 13.9 posts per day. Does that tell us that he needs other hobbies? Don, have you CKD experience with a Jag?

Michael Prichard
Melbourne Australia

Old 05-11-2014, 08:13 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Michael:
Chronic Kidney Disease?

Many a Jag owner prays daily that Don never takes up woodworking!

Cheers,
Scott

The following 3 users liked this post by MidwestJag:
93SB (05-14-2014), Don B (05-11-2014), Kay (05-12-2014)
Old 05-11-2014, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by MidwestJag
Michael:
Chronic Kidney Disease?

Many a Jag owner prays daily that Don never takes up woodworking!

Cheers,
Scott
Scott,

Thank you for your kind post. Would you believe that one of my other hobbies is fine woodworking and I collect antique woodworking tools? :-)

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 05-12-2014 at 02:55 PM.
MidwestJag (05-11-2014)
Old 05-11-2014, 11:44 PM

Don, have you CKD experience with a Jag?
Hi Michael,

Please check your messages. I have just sent you a Friend request, and I hope you will accept.

And if you're asking if I have Complete Knock Down experience with a Jag, I get a little closer each year. Thankfully, I have not yet had to do the bottom end or gearbox. How about you?

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 05-13-2014 at 12:43 PM.
93SB (05-14-2014)
Old 05-11-2014, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by albeee
I am wondering if anyone has tried using LEDs? I don't want to be blinded by the gauges like on new cars, but something a little brighter would be nice. Thoughts?
Hi albeee,

Here's a link to Mike Stone's thread at Jag-Lovers about converting his instrument cluster and other panel bulbs with LEDs:

JagFORUM Logon

Cheers,

Don

The following 3 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (05-14-2014), albeee (05-12-2014), Kay (05-12-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 02:36 AM
Kay
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Thank You Don for the link!! I have been thinking the same thing, maybe I really do get around to do it soonish....

Anyone know how many bulbs go into changing EVERYTHING, meaning centre console and so on, and are the same bulbs used through out the car?

Don B (05-12-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 01:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks to everyone for their help! And thank you Don B for the link, I signed up for Jag-lovers not too long ago and they definitely have plenty of information. I should be able to get to this by this week once I finish some mechanical gubbins (giubo, random suspension bits, p/s pump).

The following 2 users liked this post by albeee:
93SB (05-14-2014), Don B (05-12-2014)
Old 05-14-2014, 12:53 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by michael prichard
Don B has a record or 13.9 posts per day. Does that tell us that he needs other hobbies? Don, have you CKD experience with a Jag?

Michael Prichard
Melbourne Australia

Dear Michael Prichard, Melbourne Australia,

Who are you, exactly?

Who are you to judge how others choose to spend their time? And who are you to criticize someone like Don? If you will simply look through the photos he has posted at Jag-Lovers and read his posts in the archives, you will see that not only has he disassembled and re-assembled virtually his entire Jag, but he has taken the time to photograph much of that work and upload it so the rest of us can save a lot of time and money when our cars have the same issues. I've been lurking at the Jag-Lovers forum for a long time, and when I learned that Don, Rob, Larry and others were now also posting at Jaguar Forums I joined here too.

In trying to figure out where you are coming from, I have reviewed some of your posts ("suffered through" would be a better description). I find several of them to be rude, disrespectful and even contemptuous toward other members. Yet, you apparently don't know a MAFS from a Throttle Body or a Throttle Position Switch from a Throttle Potentiometer, and you think the TPS is serviced by wiping down the OUTSIDE of its case and wiring harness, or else we should, "buy new one at around U.S. $300 / 114+GBP" [sic]. (You like to use [sic] derisively when quoting others, but you use it incorrectly. You should look it up).

In one excruciating "instructional" post, you actually tell us to "drain the oil (approx 8 liters)" and later to "refill the oil (approx 7.5 liters). Is this an example of what you meant when you criticized Don for not recommending less-expensive repair methods? Do you save money by under-filling your crankcase by 0.5 liter at every oil change? Is that what you mean by, "as we do in Australia?"

I'm no expert, so I have hardly ever posted suggestions for others. I mostly THANK others for their posts, which in nearly two years as a member you have never done, not even once. Compare your record with every other person who has posted to this thread to see how others express their appreciation for this forum. You are always ready to criticize, but never willing to thank. You should be ashamed!

I was especially offended by one of your posts in which you criticized Rob Evenson and Bryan N and the entire Jag-Lovers forum in general (quote): "I find that site irritating because you have just a handful of "experts" so called, always giving advice. This is particularly so with a Brian from the U K. He obviously sits at his computer day in day out captured by his ego. I have caught him out with his bad advice a number of times. Hence a reluctance to "go there. ..."

Apparently you are unaware that Bryan is in his 70s and has been retired for many years. He can do whatever he wishes with his well-earned leisure years. Who are you to criticize him if he enjoys learning about Jaguars and sharing his vast knowledge with others? Seriously, who are you? Bryan's posts in the Jag-Lovers forum have helped me countless times and saved me who knows how much money. You say that you have "caught him out with his bad advice a number of times." Seriously? You, who think the TPS is mounted on the MAFS? Bryan N has forgotten more about Jaguar XJ40s than you will ever know, and I assure you Bryan has forgotten very little.

What is obvious is that you are intimidated and humiliated by others who are more knowledgeable and experienced. Your favorite activity appears to be criticizing those whom you resent because of their expertise. Where are your posts about maintaining and repairing a Jag (accurate posts, anyway)? Where are your helpful photos? When our car suddenly wouldn't start, where were you with encouragement and helpful ideas of common things to check?

What is painfully obvious to the rest of us, Michael Prichard of Melbourne, Australia, is that YOU are the one who needs a new hobby. I recall an Australian expression that means leave now and be quick about it: Rattle your dags.

G'day,

93SB in NC

Last edited by 93SB; 05-14-2014 at 08:43 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 93SB:
Lawrence (05-14-2014), Rob Evenson (05-14-2014)