XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Sloppy Steering - FIXED

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 12:24 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Sloppy Steering - FIXED

Hi All,

Ever since I have owned my '88 xj40 I've been plagued with sloppy steering or what could be called tram lining. I replaced the metric wheels with 215/55/R17 when I first bought her and to date I have replaced the shocks (bilsteins) the vee mounts, brake discs, pads and wheel bearings all to no avail.

When I last took it in for a wheel alignment the mechanic suggested that the steering rack mounting bushes were in need of attention however it is my understanding that the rack mounts directly to the sub frame without any bushings? Am I correct in this?

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and if so is there anything in particular that I should be looking at? I believe that my tie rod ends and ball joints are still ok although I have no history if these have ever been replaced since new... I currently have 219,000 kms on the clock.

Any feedback or suggestions would be very helpful

Old 08-10-2011, 02:49 AM
Received 10,295 Likes on 6,814 Posts

OK.

The steering rack is mounted with seperate mounts. I cannot find a Part # at the moment.

Being as how you are in OZ, check out "Jagdaim" in Melbourne. They have a website, and list it as a "mount- XJ40 steering rack".

The front cradle mounts would have to be a tad sad by now, due to age and milaege, so replacement will do NO harm.

Tyres do play a factor in "tramlining" as you rightly stated, and the wider the tyre the worse it can be. Sometimes a castor angle variance assists in stability. Others have had success with slightly increased "toe-in" without any adverse tyre wear.

My best bet still sits with the rack bushes, and cradle mounts.

A quick test you can do is to have the wheels ON the ground, engine OFF, move the steering wheel from side to side in small amounts (like taking up the slack) and see how much travel you are actually getting at the wheel before ANY road wheel movement is noted. It should be zero slop, or VERY close to zero. Worn rack mounts will see the rack move hotizontally prior to the wheels catching up, and there in is your sloppy steering.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:01 AM
Question

Thanks Grant for that input...your suggestions seem to be spot on! Just need to check now if I have a ZF rack or not as the bushings are different depending on which one I have...

Just wondering if you could please clarify which cradle mounts you are referring to? I'm just trying to get a mental picture of where underneath the beast I should be looking for these?

I usually get my parts from Gary at JagAyre or Phil and the gang at Jag Prestige so I'll order tomorrow and spend some time on my back over the weekend!

Old 08-10-2011, 06:27 AM

Ha, I have been "re-educated" after 42 years with Jaguars, NOBODY had a clue what I was talking about when I used to say "SUBFRAME", like "boot, bonnet etc".

Old dog new tricks, in your dreams.

The mounts are reversed to the earlier cars, which had the rounds right up front under the radiator, and the "V" just around the steering rack area. The rounds are a PAIN on them, as are the "V", too many things in teh way, particularly the V12 cars.

By that I mean the "V" mounts are considered the "front" mounts, although they are JUST in front of the top shocker mount area. The "round" mounts on these are at the rear, so I imagine near the rack mounts, as I have NEVER been under the X300 to actually look for them, as it is as "tight" as they come.

I reckon that the round ones will be clearly visible once under the thing. The "V" are bolted from the engine bay, 2 bolts each side, and then the lower would be on the underside I reckon. Once you get the new mounts it will be fairly obvious. The round ones will be a PAIN, just like the early cars, but the guys at your suppliers will certainly give you a heads up.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 08-10-2011 at 06:37 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:06 PM

Well, it looks like I might have found the fix thanks to Phil from Jag Prestige. It involves wrapping some fencing wire around where the mounts attach to the rack....hopefully I can post a pic... Thanks all for your input and help..

Attached Images
File Type: bmp
jag steering fix.bmp (300.8 KB, 2595 views)
Old 08-11-2011, 03:19 AM

MMMMM, the fencing wire fix from the '60's is still the go.

Good old Aussie ingenuity.

So what is the deal, is it the end plate sliding back and forth on the centre tube????, or something more sinister????.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:37 AM

Grant, I'm guessing a design fault along the lines of what you suggested. It's been pouring rain here all day so only got a chance to have a look around underneath and also to go and buy some fencing wire...

Whilst the fix can probably be done in situ (without the silicone), I'll pull the rack out tomorrow so I can give it a good degrease and then I can wire the fix on a bench and add the silicone. I'll post an update on what gauge wire works best and the results of the road test when it's all back together.

Then it will be time to flip the jag around and get to work on the rear end... New Wheel and Input (Half) Shaft Bearings...Wish I had a hoist!!!

Old 08-11-2011, 11:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a similar issue on my 89 xj6 and used a piece of fuel piping to form arund the gap left between the rack and its craddle.
I think the steering is the tightest it has been in 4 yrs of ownership.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:53 AM

ok...update time...

Spent an hour on my back this morning removing the steering rack...it wasn't too difficult to remove, just had to make sure that the bolt that secures the u-joint from the steering column to the rack is completely removed otherwise it can't be removed.

Once I had it out in the sunlight, the problem was clear....the bushes were completely stuffed. I thought about trying the quick fencing wire fix but I think they were too far gone for that...

So, on the phone and AUD$300 later, I should have arriving Monday two new bushes and two new tie rod ends...First I had to remove the bellows, then I had to remove the tie rod ends (I'm guessing how far they were wound on so I'll be needing a wheel alignment as soon as it's back together). Next I had to pry the bushes and mounts off the rack, a squirt of WD40 did the trick.

Now for the fun bit... The rubber bushes were totally fused to the rack mounts!!! A few head scratches and more than a few WTF's... So I went to a steering place (Thanks mum for letting me use your car!) and they suggested burning the rubber off....Came home, took another Valium, lit a fire and threw them in...I've just pulled them out of the fire, all the rubber is gone so now just have to let them cool down overnight before a little clean up with a scotch brite and then wait till Monday for the replacements to arrive.

The bloke at the steering shop said he would be happy to press the new bushes and mounts onto the rack for me as they are a bloody tight fit. I think he felt sorry for me as I'm sure my eyes were still red...

I'll post again when it's all back together again...

Last edited by Jagfix38; 11-17-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:36 PM
Default Sloppy Steering ***Fixed!***

Fixed!

I had a workshop press on the new rack bushings (the rack needs to be partially disassembled to do this), got home last night and because it was getting dark I refitted the rack back in place this morning with new tie rod ends... took it back to the workshop for an alignment and wow! what a difference... The steering is centered, sharp, positive and precise without any 'road wandering'. The steering wheel no longer 'hangs' to the left or right after cornering...it returns to centre just like a bought one!!!

Thanks to all for their suggestions and support...If your Jag has steering issues...I thoroughly recommend checking (and replacing) the rack mount bushings...well worth the time, effort, blood, sweat and tears!

Old 08-16-2011, 04:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Good to see , it was fixed , happy driving

Old 11-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an x300 that when I turn far one way or another the steering wheel remains pointing in the direction of the last turn but the car is driving straight ahead!

Do another turn opposite to the previous one and the wheel points the other way!

Can someone explain this fence wire fix please?

I'm due to sell the car but don't want to spend on it to sell it.

I've seen some spacers on eBay that look like theyll do a similar job, but I've not a clue where you're referring to in terms of fence wire?

Thanks

David

PS can't see pic above I'm afraid unless it's online elsewhere?

Old 11-17-2011, 06:17 PM

David,

Yes, your steering rack mounting bushes are...well, lets just say beyond their best! The term for what you describe is referred to as "steering hang up". Do you also find your jag pulling either left or right when braking?

I think I've managed to upload a picture which you should find here...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/m...ing-fix-10440/

It can be done in situ with the steering gear in place but it is a little tricky. It might also be worth checking your tie rod ends as well at the same time.

Last edited by Jagfix38; 11-17-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:27 AM

Thanks for this, I'll take a look underneath tomorrow.

Is it just a case of closing the gap with the metal fence wire by forming the wire around the rack and twisting the ends together?

Take it some v sturdy tie wraps no good? Just a thought?

David

Old 11-18-2011, 10:28 AM

Found this page that refers to is too: XJ-S Suspension &Steering Modifications

David