XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Strut conversion question for 88 xj6 base

Old 09-07-2017, 10:37 PM
88 XJ6
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Strut conversion question for 88 xj6 base

Yesterday i converted my original stock mono tube struts with the SenSen brand rear twin-tube struts on 88 Jaguar xj6 3.6 base. Didnt really know they were self leveling until i took the shock off to see that it had an hydraulic fliud line running to them. I removed the lines and installed the standard shocks but left the original coil spring on to find that my car has dropped lower. My question is, is there a way i can set my struts to raise my shock and coil springs to the desired lift???? Im guessing that i need a longer coil spring that will fit and give it the lift i want but i am not sure. For now, I put spacers on the coil to get only a little lift but not what i want. Any of you jaggers have a solution? What should i do?????? This is the new standard strut.
This is the old strut and coil spring off the self leveling hydraulic shock.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,853 Likes on 1,179 Posts

Get a set of springs made for a converted car. Check this number to make doubly sure but I believe the part number you need is JLM11382.

Ride height is governed by spring length not struts (shock absorbers)

As you know, spacers will also increase the height.

Jaguar spacers come in a few different thicknesses that increase the ride height by 150% of the thickness of a given spacer - e.g. a 1/4" spacer will give you a 3/8" rise, 2 will get you 3/4" etc., but of course the spacers are intended for "fine" adjustment so you don't really want a big stack of them back there!

Good luck

Larry

The following users liked this post:
Don B (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 08:30 AM
Received 12,721 Likes on 6,373 Posts

The other factor in rear ride height is the large yellow foam-rubber "donut" spring isolator bushing. Over time they harden and compress and can easily lose 3/8 inch in ride height. If you didn't use new bushings this time, then when you replace your springs it would be prudent to use all-new rubber bushings at the tops of your shock absorbers, including the donuts, the "cowboy hat" rubber bushes that isolate the shock shaft laterally from the upper mounting plate, and the two cylindrical yellow foam bushes that dampen the shock shaft vertically.

Cheers,

Don

MountainMan (10-10-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 11:11 AM
Received 85 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Réar suspension

hello, when changing the rear shock absorbers, it is strongly advised to change the different silent block

Last edited by frenchfairplaydriver; 09-08-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:13 PM
88 XJ6
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Thanks Fellaz

Thanks you guys i reall appreciate the knowledge. One more question. What type of shocks do you guys suggest i go with to get the original lift desired? What gives the best lift?

Old 09-08-2017, 07:56 PM
Received 12,721 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaguar Dre
Thanks you guys i reall appreciate the knowledge. One more question. What type of shocks do you guys suggest i go with to get the original lift desired? What gives the best lift?

The shock absorbers have nothing to do with lift or ride height, which a function of the coil springs, spring spacers, and the large foam donut spring isolator bushing. The shocks adjust their length in response to the compressed height of those other components. In order to get the lift you need, you really need different coil springs. If you use too many spacers you risk the springs slipping out of the spring pans.

Regarding shocks, on our XJ40s I have had excellent performance from the OE Boge shocks, and on our '93 I got a great deal on a pair of Sachs shocks for the rear that behaved just like the Boges (Sachs and Boge are both owned by ZF now, and I think that the Boge shock production has been moved to Sachs). On our '88 I tried Bilsteins but for my taste they were too stiff and harsh for the XJ40 chassis (and I'm a sporty driver).

Several members have reported good results with Monroe shocks but I have not tried them.

Cheers,

Don

MountainMan (10-10-2017)