XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Timely reminder of Sticky 'How To'

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 04:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts
Default Timely reminder of Sticky 'How To'

Given the numbers of owners who seem unaware of the priceless gems piled up in our Sticky "How To . . . " at the top of the forum's thread listings, let me encourage you to explore . . . there, you will find hundreds if not thousands of answers to questions you haven't yet asked.

So, perhaps it's time to encourage all owners, once again, to get in there, download EVERYTHING relevant to your year & model NOW . . . owners manuals, workshop manuals, electrical diagrams, TSBs . . . and the many great guides that so many of our members have put there to share. Grab the lot! Then, head off to JagRepair.com (hosted by another great JF sharer, Gus). Why delay? The great IT truth is just coz it's there today, is no guarantee it will be there when you most need it.

A few years back, and for the many different Jaguar models I maintain, I laboriously copied all this data to about 10 DVDs. I am still adding to my collections, especially as Jaguar themselves are ditching early data . . . and my "library" has probably grown 3 or 4 fold. However, such is the change in technology, now it all fits on a microSD card that is as small as a fingernail . . . and costs less than car polish.

Just my 2 cents, but is that what our American friends call a "no brainer"?

Cheers,

Ken

The following users liked this post:
Don B (10-14-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,125 Likes on 790 Posts

Thanks Ken,
A while back I downloaded the xj40 engine manual that's in there. But then I didn't need it for a while and forgot I had it. Shame on me!

Old 10-15-2017, 01:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

No shame Jerry. I now find I have so much data, so many manuals, pics & written guides and for so many models, I have had to apply carefully structured menu folders to avoid such problems.

Key for me is a hierarchy of menu folders based on model, year etc . . . so I have several for XJ40s . . . the variety of engines is no big deal, but the differing specifics of RHD vs LHD means I tend to cull out the latter for here, while the variations in electrical notes & diagrams would otherwise lead to confusion, or worse.

I find I omitted an important issue from my original post. Having all this info in digital form means you can print and take to the workshop only that section you are about to work on . . . maybe 3-4 pages . . . and that beats greasy paws all over laptops or fully bound factory manuals.

Thanks for your feedback,

Ken

The following users liked this post:
frenchfairplaydriver (10-15-2017)