XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Tramlining/bump steer.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 04:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tramlining/bump steer.

I've owned a 40 for about a year now and to be honest I've had a few issues with it. Metric tyres at around $650.00 each was one, now I have 16" wheels. The issue that bothered me the most was one I find in several forums on the 40's and later models and that is steering wander/tramlining/bump steer. Mine was OK when I bought it, but "tugged" a bit on the steering over road irregularities. This became much worse and fairly rapidly at that too, until it became a real task to hang on to the steering and keep it on the road.

I travel the woeful roads of New South Wales Australia which have minimal maintenance and usually have bumps, and wear patterns from heavy truck usage that leave longitudinal depressions or ruts in the driving surface. As you crossed these ruts or wandered a little in the lane the car would pull strongly on the steering in a manner that required significant correction. I also own a series 2 six and series 3 12 models and although well worn these are superb to drive at all times, so this pulling on the wheel in the 40 was somewhat unexpected.

All the suspension bushes looked fine and at 160,000km they should have life left in them. I started by replacing the lower arm inner bushes, a cow of a job and no significant improvement. If anything the upper bushes looked almost new, but they aren't expensive and when I rocked the road wheel forward and backward there was movement. Not too difficult to do, would be easier if there weren't "bits" in the way of the big bolt and there were signs of a little wear on the bushes when removed. New bushes fitted and a road test showed a major improvement, such that I no longer have a death grip on the steering wheel and can actually relax a little while driving and enjoy the ride. I am, at this stage, attributing the minimal wandering to well worn 225 width tyres, so these will be replaced next.

So that is my story of fixing the tramlining issue. I had suggested to me also that replacing the rack bushes would be a benefit, so that may be on the "to do" list as well. At the moment, I will enjoy my improved steering for a while.

Steve.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Good work, good report. I've read elsewhere as well that the upper bushings can give trouble even if just slightly worn.

Changing to taller profile tires virtually eliminated tramling on ym car but now, 40k+ miles later, I'm feeling it come back again. I'll take a serious look at the upper bushings. At 120k miles they surely have some wear.

Cheers
DD

Old 08-16-2012, 01:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, to continue.... I have replaced the rack mount bushes with a urethane item from England. Not too difficult, bit of time and labour involved and a major improvement again in the steering, but still not good enough. Next on the list was new tyres so I replaced the well worn 225/55/16 Pirellis with some 215/60/16 Zeetums which was again a huge major improvement, such that I can enjoy driving again. From what I have read, the later model Jags, XJ40 on seem to be very tyre sensitive, such that for driving pleasure it may be necessary to replace the front tyres before they are worn out. I guess we didn't buy Jaguars for budget motoring!

Old 08-16-2012, 04:06 AM
Received 10,312 Likes on 6,822 Posts

Steve, most interesting reading.

The X300 has 16" wheels, and 225/60 X 16 tyres as standard, so I also reckon the "60" profile is a key here.

The "R" came with 17", but I dont know the profile (Doug will), and I think?, the ride height was lower on the "R", not sure?.