XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

uh oh

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default uh oh

Found a tiny little hole on the far left side of where my feet go on the drivers side floor. Not really sure how to take care of this, my dadwas talkin bout drillin some metal in. Not an immediate concern but I know this is what eventually will be the enda my car.

Any of u older car guys on here, like JOse, u guys delt with this before.

We sprayed this anti corrosion stuff on the bottom of the car, and I think that took off all the rust and then it made the hole, cuz I guess it was rusted thru. This hole is under the side carpet, which doesn't easilyremove, so that's why I never noticed it, I have no clue how long it been there. We had that major flooding thursday, and when I was cleaning the carpet I noticed it was pretty wet and that's when I discovered the whole.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: uh oh

Sorry to hear about that 93. I'd rivet or screw in a small piece of plastic or metal and treat the area top and underneath with some rubberized undercoat. Should at least seal the hole and prevent it from spreading for a while.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member

My dad's friend who restores cars recomended covering it with plastic tape. Since we already sprayed all over to prevent rust, it should keep water out and prevent more holes from forming

Old 08-28-2007, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I wouldn't be overly concerned with it. Seal it off using any of the previously mentioned methods and odds are you will be ready to ditch the car long before that becomes a killer problem.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member

I don't think I will ever be ready toditch the car, but I will be able to afford the fix by the time it's a real problem.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

none of my twoold Jags has any rust underneath the floor pans.

What year/model is your Jag ?? Do you know where the car came from?
Try a CARFAX report.

REPAIR: what I would do is go toLowe's and spend $6.00 on a caulking gun (if you don't have one), and a tube of Brown, Exterior, Latex, Caulking. (used for sealing Bricks), **also you need a Wire Brush and some Painter's blue Masking Tape.

with the Wire Brush, go over the area under the car, in an imaginary circle, until the metal is clean and shiny. Then start caulking from the center of the circle out, kind of like frosting a cake?Then do the same from the inside of the car,letting the caulking dry for a day. If you want to do it neatly, form a circle withPainter's Blue Masking Tapeso that the caulking doesn't make a mess.

The result? the caulking will remain semi-flexible, it will seal the hole permanently, waterproof it, and it will adhere to the metal to the point where you will have trouble removing it later!!

Car manufacturers use Adhesive Caulking in cars, so why can't we? If you look closely behind door panels, in the trunk, behind upholstery, and many other hidden places, what do you see? Caulking! Semi-flexible caulking. And it's cheap! SHHHHHH, don't even think about spilling the secret!

Let us know how it works out,
Jose

Old 08-28-2007, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member

The car is froma suburb a few blocks away from me. It was purchased from the dealer we service it at originally, then it was sold a few months before we bought it and sat in a warehouse for like 2 months in racine wisconsin.

So you want me to use the wire brush and caulking and stuff only wear the whole is correct?

Also to correct what I said before I meant "Metal tape" not plastic tape. I'll see how the tape works, because liek I said it was recomended by a guy my dad trusts who does alot of car restoration, but if that doesnt seem to work I will try your advice Jose.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

if it's a Northern car, it's probably Salt damage. You can also use fiberglass resin and tape to seal the damage over and under, though it's a lot messier.