XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

weird problem please HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird problem please HELP!!!

so i bought this car about 3 months ago, it wasnt running at all the car was quite honestly a mess! so i replace fuel pump n filter, air filter, new battery, new spark plugs, cleaned the fuel injectors, 3 gal of new gas and after lots of work, patience and coronas the cat was alive!

now to the weird problem, today i was ready to go for my first spin on the jag, so i installed the door panels (i took em off n cleaned them good lubricated the door handles n took wood off to refinish) so installed panels back on the car and also connected one of the windshield washer nozzle that was disconnected. and the problem started right when i got in it the cat is dead!!!! wtf! so i tought i had no gas i added gas n nothing tried jump starting n nothing HELP ME PLEASEEE BEFORE I BURN THE CAR OR SHOOT MYSELF

THANKS AND SORY FOR THE LONG STORY!

Old 08-19-2011, 08:27 PM
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Vauge discription, check the inertia switch. also check grounds on any electrical parts worked on.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Is your battery fully charged? Are any of the electrics working? Is the engine turning at all? Or is there nothing?

Old 08-20-2011, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

battery was fully charged until i plug everything in, so my guess is something is draining the battery my question is how to find the leak? also is it possible that it drained so fast im talkin 5 minutes btw i tried jumpstarting and that didnt work either, is it possible that is just like a ground down if so how to fix? what n where should i start? inertia switch is good thanks!

Old 08-21-2011, 12:55 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

lazzytan,

are you saying that the cat was running and then you switched it off? then you did the door panels and when you went to restart it wouldn't fire? Or was the cat switched off and sitting for a week or so?

Is the engine turning at all when you try and start it? Is it doing anything or making any noises? Ie Clicking, etc? Is the starter motor turning?

Or is it dead? No turning, no clicking, etc?

Are any electrics working at all? Ie Windows? Headlights? Dash Lights? If they are then it may Not be the battery...it may be a fuse or a relay?

Have you tried jiggling the gear selector around when trying to start it? like sliding it to neutral, try and start or back to park and try and start?

Is it possible that you might have tried to jump start it incorrectly? Could you have blown a fuse somewhere?

It's really important to accurately describe what is happening when trying to pinpoint what the problem may be....we all want to help but without actually being there we can't hear or see what you can.