XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

XJ40 Doorlocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,855 Likes on 1,181 Posts
Default XJ40 Doorlocks

Hi all, new owner, first post!

I have to replace the front passenger door handle on my '94 XJ40. I've read the instructions for door panel removal and will have a go at it in the next week or so, as soon as I pick up a replacement unit.

I'm probably going to buy a used replacement, but either way I'll have to change the lock barrel to use my existing key ...just wondering what's involved in changing out the lock?

A friend of mine also recommended lubricating the existing handles with Boeshield T-9 ..any thoughts on this?

The trunk lock is a bit of mystery on my car - it opens with the switch in the armrest, however the manual states turning the key through 180 will allow me to use the key to open and close it, but try as I might I'm only able to rotate the key 90 degrees and can't seem to lock and unlock it using the key

Anyway, glad to be a member of the forum!

Old 09-22-2012, 03:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Removing the door panel is a quick less than 1 ciggie job, just remember if it seems to be stuck in one spot then you have probably missed a screw.

The lock barrel is held in with a circlip very easy to change, be careful with the micro-switch wire it is thin and easily broken.

Your biggest headache will be the connecting rods from the mechanism to the handle + the handle cradle they are a real PITA.

I've found it best to keep things loose until the rods are all reconnected and then finalize fitting the cradle.

Watch out for your paint work, you will be inside the car and your metal handle will be floating around on the outside of your door.

Oh, and find a secluded spot, your language will most likely be somewhat colourful.

Then perform the Jaguar dance sequence for retraining the system. (this can be at least a 3 ciggie job)

RE boot lock, what colour key do you have, only my black master will open the boot, the green Valet key will not.

The following users liked this post:
Lawrence (09-22-2012)
Old 09-22-2012, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Thanks Richard, I have 2 black keys and the green one - I'm trying the boot with the black one, will try again I guess!!

Thanks for the tip on the lock barrel and esp for the "watch your paintwork" idea ..btw, I'll probably burn up a whole pack of ciggies just procrastinating doing the job!

Old 09-30-2012, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Default XJ40 Door handle - model years?

Hi, Just scoping out some used passenger door handles on eBay, seems as though there is a difference in pre/post-1990 parts? Does anyone know what the differences are between say an '89 and a '94 handle unit? Is it just the lock/key config? I'm changing out the lock anyway, so could I get an '89 part for my '94 XJ40?

Thanks

Old 10-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member

HI Richard - just picked up a replacement door handle at a local used parts place, already removed lock barrel. As you said, pretty easy - and - I can now see why the 94 and 89 types aren't compatible.
When I took out the lock barrel I was surprised to see that the lock plate and keyhole didn't come away with the barrel. Like I said earlier on, I was looking at a 89 part thinking that if I was going to change out the lock it would be ok to get an 89 part, but as the key slot doesn't change with the barrel, the 94 'stick' key won't pass through the 89 face plate slot.

I checked out the micro switch/harness/gasket and they seem in good condition. The handle was a bit stiff but a little clock oil sorted that out and now I'm good to go. I'll remove the door panel tomorrow.

cheers

Last edited by Lawrence; 10-04-2012 at 02:38 AM. Reason: answered my own question
Old 10-05-2012, 04:06 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Lawrence,
Just saw this and possibly too late. The 88-89 door handles are smaller than the 90 on door handles. Parts don't interchange.
The handles are of a poor design and tend to snap from extreme cold temps and/or continuous use. They wear out as well and often need adjustment via the barrel adjusters. All this can be resolved by replacing with an aftermarket redesigned unit.
Vintage Jag Works has them available here:
Other Parts
Not sure what you paid for yours but these are less than half the cost of "new" ones from SNG Barret or Welsh. They have a core charge, but simply send the old ones back to get your core$$.
First time at it, I spent a good two hours, cut knuckles, etc..LOL
After that, the next ones went easy, about 40 mins ea. (I had to replace all of mine)
Hope this is in time to be of assistance.

Talk soon,

The following users liked this post:
Lawrence (10-05-2012)
Old 10-05-2012, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Brill, Well too late in one sense, I checked out the link and indeed yes, an excellent option that I think I may have gone for, however, the used part I installed is now operational and it's on to the next 'quirk'

It took me pretty much all afternoon to install the handle but that included changing out the lock, figuring out how the mechanism worked and reprogramming the keyless entry. I'm sure glad I taped a bunch of padding on the door before I started - that handle was flopping around out there for quite a while. My biggest issue was that the second rod/lever (the one without the adjuster) was in the bottom of the door when I took the panel off and I had a bit of trouble finding out where it was supposed to go - and - when I figured that out, had a devil of a job keeping it in place as it fell off constantly. I finally taped it in position, got everything hooked up then removed the tape. I'm sure next time will be easier!!!

Thanks for the reply,

all the best