XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

XJ40 Roll Call

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 11:11 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I still have/love my '94. Runs and looks great.

The following users liked this post:
MidwestJag (08-23-2013)
Old 08-23-2013, 08:04 AM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts

Glad to know, malibudav:

Thanks for the update!

cheers,
Scott

Old 08-26-2013, 03:04 PM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MidwestJag
3jags: thank you for your post and comments. I share your experiences! I do hope and trust there will be those of us who care about the XJ40 enough to keep things going for years come. Honestly, I think my car will last for decades more - it's that solid of a car. Whether or not I last that long...? I'm less solid.

Matt: Great to have you with us. You've already been a great addition to our little 'club.' Yet, having followed your posts somewhat, I can see that you're a bit of an overall car fanatic - having owned quite a number of autos in your relatively young life. (Though I'm a bit older, I have been blamed for the same thing!) How long will you own your XJ40? I hope forever!

sharay: A similar thing happened to me. Earlier this year my '91 was the only "working" car and was taken out of weekend service into full-time use for a week or so. That was a great week. That also happened to me a couple of years earlier, shortly after my purchase of the '91. It ran for five days before quitting on me and needed to go to the shop. It ended up being something really simple, but because I was so green and not yet a member of the forum, I was in a panic. Our van was also in the shop, and for two days the ONLY working car I had was my '29 Ford. That was funny, but she did the job like a champ!

Cheers to all. Very grateful for such a great bunch of car guys...

Scott
Scott, just to let you know, I've had the XJ40 for 13 years now. Generally, it's been a marvelous performing vehicle. I did get a little scared in the first month I owned it, when the fuel pump failed. Since then, most of the repairs have been either scheduled maintenance, or "typical for the age", such as hood & boot struts, shocks, etc. I did replace the oil pump & rear end diff in the last year. That's the kind of thing that makes me want to keep it.

I would have enjoyed watching you complete your daily chores in your '29 Ford!
Ray

MidwestJag (08-26-2013)
Old 08-26-2013, 07:18 PM
Veteran member

Ray:
Although not recently, a couple of years ago I was doing a bunch of yard work and had to haul a serious amount of brush and yard vegetation down to the city compost. Of course, the only vehicle I had to do the work was, you guessed it, my Model A. You've never seen such surprised looks at the compost as when the old pickup truck comes barreling around the corner loaded down with tree branches. But, the way I figure it, the truck is not a trailer queen, and it's just doing what it was designed to do. And part of me thinks, if cars have souls, there was one that day full of pride.

13 years of XJ40 ownership. I think you've got us all pretty much beat! But I think you're right. If you do the upkeep, it is a marvelously engineered car. The X300 folks, in my observation, like to think of theirs as the first truly "reliable" daily driver. I think it was the XJ40 - esp. the later ones.

cheers!
Scott

Old 08-26-2013, 09:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fairly new Jag owner and fairly new to these boards. However, already had one issue resolved, thanks to Neo and will keep fettling my '93. It's a lovely car that I drive more than my much newer truck, much to my surprise. I hope to give back as I learn more about its idiosyncrasies.

MidwestJag (08-26-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 04:22 PM

Ray:
Although not recently, a couple of years ago I was doing a bunch of yard work and had to haul a serious amount of brush and yard vegetation down to the city compost. Of course, the only vehicle I had to do the work was, you guessed it, my Model A. You've never seen such surprised looks at the compost as when the old pickup truck comes barreling around the corner loaded down with tree branches. But, the way I figure it, the truck is not a trailer queen, and it's just doing what it was designed to do. And part of me thinks, if cars have souls, there was one that day full of pride.

13 years of XJ40 ownership. I think you've got us all pretty much beat! But I think you're right. If you do the upkeep, it is a marvelously engineered car. The X300 folks, in my observation, like to think of theirs as the first truly "reliable" daily driver. I think it was the XJ40 - esp. the later ones.

cheers!
Scott
I would have loved to see the "work" truck doing its duty!!

While the XJ40 has been reliable, I must admit that my X300 has out performed it, though not outlasted it. Maintenance on the X300 has been VERY minimal during the 6 years I've had it. And it now has 170,000 on the odo (compared to 140,000 on the XJ40). Either one rides and drives smoothly (better than either the BMW or the newly acquired XK8), and both remain a pleasure to drive concealing their respective ages.

Ray

Old 08-27-2013, 07:43 PM
Veteran member

Ray:
Thanks for the perspective on the two cars! I suppose I misspoke because I've never had an X300 and you have both! But agreed, the XJ40 has been a tremendously stalwart performer. Then again, I don't drive it much these days...

Cheers again,
Scott

Old 08-28-2013, 08:20 AM
Jeh
Received 174 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by matts89xj
I have no intention in getting rid of my XJ, actually I am aiming to get a newer XJR in the near future to take over my daily driving duty
I have the same idea. My XJ is fine minus the paint, the SW is easy on the metal but hard on paint andI haven't had good luck getting cars repainted in the past.

So I'm thinking of holding on to it for another year or so and look for a newer one.

I've been very happy with the car the only real fault being the left blower fan and a little lack of power. As Clarkson said on Top Gear " a few of the horses have left the barn" or maybe its just a good excuse to get an XJR or maybe an XJS Coupe if I can find a nice one.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:47 PM

Ray:
Thanks for the perspective on the two cars! I suppose I misspoke because I've never had an X300 and you have both! But agreed, the XJ40 has been a tremendously stalwart performer. Then again, I don't drive it much these days...

Cheers again,
Scott
Scott,
I really don't disagree with your assessment of the comparison. The XJ40 and is a stalwart performer, with excellent reliability. The X300 carries all that and perhaps improves a little (VERY little) on that.

Funny story about when I got the XJ40: First the background: I bought a BMW735i on ebay. I noticed, but didn't bid on, the XJ40 at the same dealership. When we arrived to pick up the BMW, I asked how much he got for the XJ. He showed me the email where the winning bidder backed out of the deal. So I offered him $1,000 less than the winning bid (if he would take my personal check) and he accepted. At home, we put the XJ in the empty garage bay, and the BMW in the driveway. The next morning, Wife gets in the XJ, & backing E X T R E M E L Y slow out of the garage didn't use the right side mirror, backing into the BMW.

Fortunately, she was so slow that the only damage was a broken rear fog light lens, at a total cost of less than $15. It still provides a source of humor to tell people that immediately after getting both a BMW & Jaguar, my wife backed the Jag into the Bimmer!

MidwestJag (08-29-2013)
Old 08-29-2013, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jeh
I have the same idea. My XJ is fine minus the paint, the SW is easy on the metal but hard on paint andI haven't had good luck getting cars repainted in the past.

So I'm thinking of holding on to it for another year or so and look for a newer one.

I've been very happy with the car the only real fault being the left blower fan and a little lack of power. As Clarkson said on Top Gear " a few of the horses have left the barn" or maybe its just a good excuse to get an XJR or maybe an XJS Coupe if I can find a nice one.
Just when you start thinking about getting rid of the XJ40, things will happen to remind how reliable it's been, and maybe you'd be better off to hang onto it a while longer. That's what happened to me!
With 3 drivers going in 3 different directions everyday, having reliability and a backup plan becomes important.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:06 PM
Jeh
Received 174 Likes on 119 Posts

It's just me and the Mrs and between us we have 5 cars. So while my XJ is my DD if something happens I have 3-4 other vehicle to drive.

Your right though my XJ has been very reliable and aside from a hose and the Radiator it's never let me sit. I'm a fan of the vintage and would look at a similar vejoe but with better paint

Old 09-03-2013, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jeh
It's just me and the Mrs and between us we have 5 cars. So while my XJ is my DD if something happens I have 3-4 other vehicle to drive.

Your right though my XJ has been very reliable and aside from a hose and the Radiator it's never let me sit. I'm a fan of the vintage and would look at a similar vejoe but with better paint
Yup!! Better paint would be the ticket.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently joined your forum. It is good to see so many people keeping XJ40's on the road. I became the adopted owner of a v12 6 liter when a friend parked it in my driveway for repairs and decided to just buy a different car. Sadly it needs a lot of love, but since it was free I have plenty of room to get work done on it. Now I just need the time and money to get in line with the project. I have gone through all the information I can find in the past many months and have found so much that will hopefully lead to the improvement and restoration of the beast. Hopefully the engine will come along soon, then I just need to see if I can get someone to trade/buy the 20 inch rims so I can get much more realistic 16's under it. Interior has all the typical trouble with seats, arm rest cup holder is missing and the burl walnut is going to pieces. The body is rather rust free though and with the number of XJ6's that end up in junk yards here I shouldn't have too much trouble finding interior parts or panels if I need them. The trouble will be that lump under the hood. I got it to run a while ago. It hunted, sprayed water and started to get a bit hot. I shut it off and started working on finding all the leaks, there were several, and acquiring all the ignition parts I would need. Just need to get them all together at once and see if that resolves the issues. If not, and the hunting continues I'll chase out the MAFs and see how that goes. Someday I may be out at an event and even have pictures, or heaven forbid, a video of the thing running. With the sad state of the interior it may end up getting rather customized, but tastefully so, and some may think it blasphemy to replace the walnut with something else. Hopefully it won't offend people when done, but only time will tell.

MidwestJag (10-09-2013)
Old 10-09-2013, 07:24 AM
Veteran member

Adam:
Welcome to the club. I'd worry first about getting the engine/mechanicals sorted. The interior and, especially the wheels, can wait. Hate to see you invest time into something that looks nice but doesn't go anywhere! I don't think anybody will be offended by your stylistic decisions, but depending on how wild you go with it, one should always be prepared for a few jeers. Mostly though, I think folks around here just love to see these old cars on the road doing what they were built to do - drive. So, enjoy it and best of luck!
Cheers,
Scott

Old 10-10-2013, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Analogue Adam
I recently joined your forum. It is good to see so many people keeping XJ40's on the road. I became the adopted owner of a v12 6 liter when a friend parked it in my driveway for repairs and decided to just buy a different car. Sadly it needs a lot of love, but since it was free I have plenty of room to get work done on it. Now I just need the time and money to get in line with the project. I have gone through all the information I can find in the past many months and have found so much that will hopefully lead to the improvement and restoration of the beast. Hopefully the engine will come along soon, then I just need to see if I can get someone to trade/buy the 20 inch rims so I can get much more realistic 16's under it. Interior has all the typical trouble with seats, arm rest cup holder is missing and the burl walnut is going to pieces. The body is rather rust free though and with the number of XJ6's that end up in junk yards here I shouldn't have too much trouble finding interior parts or panels if I need them. The trouble will be that lump under the hood. I got it to run a while ago. It hunted, sprayed water and started to get a bit hot. I shut it off and started working on finding all the leaks, there were several, and acquiring all the ignition parts I would need. Just need to get them all together at once and see if that resolves the issues. If not, and the hunting continues I'll chase out the MAFs and see how that goes. Someday I may be out at an event and even have pictures, or heaven forbid, a video of the thing running. With the sad state of the interior it may end up getting rather customized, but tastefully so, and some may think it blasphemy to replace the walnut with something else. Hopefully it won't offend people when done, but only time will tell.
You get it running, and regardless of how you customize the interior, the first thing people will notice is YOU DRIVE A JAG! I don't mean to sound haughty, but people actually notice when you're driving a Jaguar more than they notice the other luxury rides.

Welcome to the group & don't be afraid to ask for help. I've always gotten it when needed.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:12 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I am still here!

1994 Vanden Plas reporting for duty.

Attached Thumbnails XJ40 Roll Call-get-attachment.jpg  
Old 10-13-2013, 06:29 AM
Veteran member

Great to hear from you rolexmike, and great picture of the car!
cheers,
Scott

Old 10-13-2013, 04:50 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Likewise Scott, and thanks! I wish the sun light didn't get in the lens.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,125 Likes on 790 Posts

I've already chimed in, but am curious as to where that puts us so far quantity - wise......

Old 10-14-2013, 09:05 PM
Veteran member

We've had 26 individual respondents: 1 of which is a former owner, 1 desiring to be an owner, and 1 whose car has been put out to pasture. That leaves 23 still on the road. Of the (non-exhaustive) 19 members I listed in my original post, only 9 reported in. Of course, the other 10 may have since posted on other threads, just not this one. Some I think I've seen since. Of course, others may have sold off their cars, and Lord knows that forum participation (not just here!) waxes and wanes as time goes by. All in all, it's not a huge list of devotees. It is, however, a privileged club!

Scott

Quick Reply: XJ40 Roll Call