XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Xj40 subframe removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 07:27 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Xj40 subframe removal

Hi all. I'm preparing to remove the subframe to do bushes and I'm looking for a definitive answer on the springs. Preferably from someone who's done it.
I've seen lots of images of the subframe removed with the springs still in. Is this safe/correct? Or should I be removing the springs before dropping the subframe? I'll be doing the vee mounts and rear round bushes in case you're wondering.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:35 PM
Received 12,732 Likes on 6,377 Posts

Originally Posted by jryall
Hi all. I'm preparing to remove the subframe to do bushes and I'm looking for a definitive answer on the springs. Preferably from someone who's done it.
I've seen lots of images of the subframe removed with the springs still in. Is this safe/correct? Or should I be removing the springs before dropping the subframe? I'll be doing the vee mounts and rear round bushes in case you're wondering.
Hi jryall,

It can be done in either order, but since you will need to remove the springs to replace the lower control arm bushes, I would personally recommend that you remove the springs before lowering the subframe. There is some inherent danger in removing the springs, and having the subframe firmly bolted to the car reduces the possibility of the subframe tipping over or rolling on you just as a spring comes free. Also, the subframe is sufficiently heavy and awkward that removing the weight of the hubs and springs helps a little in the lowering process.

Here are links to photos of the job on our '93 VDP:

DIY Spring Compressor XJ40/X300/X308
Front Subframe Bush Renewal XJ40/X300/X308
Front Subframe Pivot Bush Renewal XJ40/X300/X308
Engine Mount Comparison
Front Shock Top Bush Replacement
Old Front Suspension Bushes

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
93SB (01-21-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 10:54 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the reply and the pics Don. I should clarify, the control arm bushes have been done by the PO, I'm only doing the subframe mounting bushes and vee mounts. I was hoping to get away with not having to obtain a spring compressor and it looks like I might be able to.
Cheers,
Joe
​​​

Old 01-19-2017, 12:54 AM
Received 12,732 Likes on 6,377 Posts

Originally Posted by jryall
Thanks for the reply and the pics Don. I should clarify, the control arm bushes have been done by the PO, I'm only doing the subframe mounting bushes and vee mounts. I was hoping to get away with not having to obtain a spring compressor and it looks like I might be able to.
​​​
Yes, I think you can do it without the spring compressor as long as you're sure the PO did the lower control arm bushes and not just the upper ones, which can be done without removing the springs, so they are all most owners do.

If you decide you need to remove the springs, making a spring compressor is easy and not expensive. Many guys have used a stack of thick washers as the "thrust device" instead of drilling the steel ball as I did (following a friend at the Jag-Lovers forum).

You should also do the engine mounts too, while you're at it.

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
93SB (01-21-2017)