Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1972 XJ6 Window Felt and Rubber

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 12:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1972 XJ6 Window Felt and Rubber

Hi Team,

I am working on my 1972 XJ6 and trying to get it as ship shape as possible. Next on the list is the windows.

The window felt, the tracks that the window glass slides up and down through, have swollen and dry rotted and the glass won't slide smoothly, or at all really.

Additionally, the rubber weather strips that are glued to the wood trim on the top of the door cards and the rubber strips that slide into the chrome on the outside of the windows need replacement.

Could anyone tell me where I can get replacement rubber? I haven't checked with an autoparts store to see if these are generic components, but instead wanted to ask the community.

Here are some pictures of the parts I'm referring to. Thanks for your help!

Old 03-28-2017, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts

JagBits or SNG Barratt usually have all this stuff on hand. Be sure to replace the wing window rubbers (if needed) while you have the doors apart this much... BD 31789 -RH and BD 31790 - LH for those rubber pieces.

Check the roller on the bottom that fits into the regulator... it can be obtained at a local ACE hardware store in the rolling door/screen section. Drill out the rivet and a bolt with a nut is then used. Lube the door locks well... just changed out mine after 46 years and now have newer double sided keys but they work perfectly.

The door rubbers on the outside of the doors are fun.. current ones are not made properly to fit the SWB cars and you will need to cut off and rejoin them on the rear doors... plus you will have sore hands pushing them into the slots with plastic pushing pieces.. lots of FUN!

The following users liked this post:
Doug (03-29-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 280 Posts

And from personal recent experience on these outside seals, use dish detergent to lube up the rubber and the track before sliding it in. Is painstaking but doable.

Bill

Old 03-28-2017, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great advice

Thank you all. I have avoided the wonky door key by installing power door locks. Needed to weld a bracket into the front doors to mount the actuators, but the rears were pretty easy. I can take pics if anyone is curious. The whole job took about 4 hours, not including the welding (which I paid a mobile welder from Craigslist to do).

I got the triangle rubbers from rockauto. They have most of the pieces. But not everything.

Wealth of information you guys are. Thanks.

MC