Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1982 xj6 questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 08:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1982 xj6 questions

Hey all,

Seems like 82 xj6 info is not all that common.

I'm new to jaguar forums, just started account today. I bought a gold 82 xj6 about 2 months ago, have been using it to go back and forth to school. It's not in the best condition but it is definitely reliable (for now). fyi I am a poor college student. Can't necessarily afford the owner's manual at the moment.

I do have some questions concerning repairs/use:
Was not aware the car had electric door/trunk locks. Found out after I washed it and the doors then continually tried to lock themselves (fixed after it sat for a night). How do I use these electric locks?

This caused another problem, locked trunk. The previous owner drilled out the trunk lock for whatever reason, and after the locking episode I can't open it.
Any suggestions?

I am also having a wiper issue. Occasionally I can flip the switch, hear a click, and the wipers move a little. The rest of the time is nothing. Is this a wiper motor problem or something else?

Last question: I hit the gas and there is a delay of engine activity. The rpm's will go way down and then back up to the correct amount. If I am on a hill it usually rolls backwards a bit and sometimes if I hit the gas hard enough from a stop it just dies. Fuel injection?

Thanks!

Old 11-07-2012, 01:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by hofmann308
Was not aware the car had electric door/trunk locks. Found out after I washed it and the doors then continually tried to lock themselves (fixed after it sat for a night). How do I use these electric locks?

It's a central locking system operating from the lock mechanism in the driver's door (and possibly the passenger door....but this capability was eliminated around 1982 so you might not have it).

Turning the key in the the door lock operates an actuator which in turn operates the other door locks and the trunk lock.

The trunk will lock but not unlock electrically

If the system isn't working at all we can go thru some electrical checks.

This caused another problem, locked trunk. The previous owner drilled out the trunk lock for whatever reason, and after the locking episode I can't open it.
Any suggestions?

Remove the license plate and you just might be able to use some small needle nose pliers thru one of the mounting holes to operate the actuating rod. If not, you'll have to drill a hole to reach the rod. I can try to find the exact location (bad memory, sorry) if it comes to that

I am also having a wiper issue. Occasionally I can flip the switch, hear a click, and the wipers move a little. The rest of the time is nothing. Is this a wiper motor problem or something else?

Several possibilities. Switch failure is more common.

Last question: I hit the gas and there is a delay of engine activity. The rpm's will go way down and then back up to the correct amount. If I am on a hill it usually rolls backwards a bit and sometimes if I hit the gas hard enough from a stop it just dies. Fuel injection?

Thanks!

Lots of possibilities. I'd start by cleaning the throttle body and making sure the throttle blade is gapped correctly at .002".

Make sure the ducting between the airflow meter and the throttle body is secure and not torn open.

Is this problem sensitive to engine temperature?

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
hofmann308 (11-07-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 02:17 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Welcome to the forum hofmann308,

You're getting good advice from Doug about the issues on your XJ6. It sounds like you may need the Driver's Handbook to get to know the features of the vehicle.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST section and post an intro about yourself and your Jaguar for all members to see.

In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice on posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 11-07-2012, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Lots of possibilities. I'd start by cleaning the throttle body and making sure the throttle blade is gapped correctly at .002".

Make sure the ducting between the airflow meter and the throttle body is secure and not torn open.

Is this problem sensitive to engine temperature?

Cheers
DD
it seems a little sensitive to temperature. It seems the worst after I drive it a little, like going to the gas station and back. Not much of a problem with the first drive of the day or going on the interstate.