XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1984 xj6

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 10:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jose
well the car came from Mexico, so it must be a Mexico-spec XJ, it might not have all the US emmissions gizmos.
Thankfully I live in a part of Colorado where I never have to get an emmissions inspection hmmm should I go catless?

Old 01-17-2013, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

if it's a Mexico or California car, chances are it won't have rust. Minor stuff, spray some silicone in the glass felt tracks as you raise and lower the windows. The switches themselves get contact-lazy, they're available new (eBay), or you can take them apart clean the brass contacts and then lube them. You might find new correct color sunvisors at SNG Barrat USA store, they have good prices. your color is not "Tan", (though it looks tan), it's a Sovereign and VandenPlas-only interior color. Check the label under the hood or door jamb, it will have the interior color name.

what are the "door plastic seals"?

Old 01-17-2013, 10:56 AM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Paratrooper54
The owner said that it was purchased in Mexico but the rear emblem has Sovereign badge..well part of the badge as it's mostly gone. .
Guess I lost my money then.

There are a few things you can do without going the aftermarket route.Stainless steel entry seal covers in place of your brushed aluminum ones,chromed speaker surrounds, the third brake light and of course as previously mention the Doe skin colour sun visors.

Would not recommend adding those terrible stainless steel fender and seal panel trim pieces that lots of people have added. They just encourage rust and in my opinion take away from the clean look of the car.

An unbutchered car retains its value far better than a modified one and inmy mind, looks far more classy.

Last edited by peddlarbob; 01-17-2013 at 10:58 AM. Reason: I just wanted too.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member

Thankfully I live in a part of Colorado where I never have to get an emmissions inspection hmmm should I go catless?
Yes, you should. I ordered a catless (European) "Y" pipe for mine, (look under the driver's floor for the Y pipe), available in the US at Motorcars Ltd. in Texas, easy to replace yourself, Jaguar exhaust parts were never welded, only clamped with exhaust sealer (Permatex).

then I removed the down cat (connected to the exhaust manifolds), opened it, cleaned out everything inside, sealed it, pressure tested it, repainted it, and re-installed it. Looks like it "has" a cat but it doesn't. Engine breathes better, more horsepower. you need to retain the down cat housing for the Oxygen Sensor; Curiously, these cars will pass inspections even WITHOUT the cats, that's how good they are. These inspections are nothing but another TAX on new car owners, especially when you consider that the real polluters (Diesels and domestic cars & trucks from the 1970's) are exempted.

The following users liked this post:
Mark Scotton (03-13-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
How can you tell? (Asking, not arguing!) Cheers
DD
the seller said the car came from Mejico. :-))

Old 01-17-2013, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

you can get a replacement "Sovereign" badge, check eBay, they're available.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:23 AM

Yes, you should. I ordered a catless (European) "Y" pipe for mine, (look under the driver's floor for the Y pipe), available in the US at Motorcars Ltd. in Texas, easy to replace yourself, Jaguar exhaust parts were never welded, only clamped with exhaust sealer (Permatex).

then I removed the down cat (connected to the exhaust manifolds), opened it, cleaned out everything inside, sealed it, pressure tested it, repainted it, and re-installed it. Looks like it "has" a cat but it doesn't. Engine breathes better, more horsepower. you need to retain the down cat housing for the Oxygen Sensor; Curiously, these cars will pass inspections even WITHOUT the cats, that's how good they are. These inspections are nothing but another TAX on new car owners, especially when you consider that the real polluters (Diesels and domestic cars & trucks from the 1970's) are exempted.
Once I'm done with my MBA course I plan on taking some Automotive courses so I can do this sort of thing myself. Right now I know next to nothing on how to repair cars, one of the reasons I bought this car is to learn on.

Question: How reliable are these cars on long distance cruises? I want to take this car cross country this summer.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:26 AM

you can get a replacement "Sovereign" badge, check eBay, they're available.
I checked, the sovereign badges ebay has right now don't match what's on my car.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

these cars are as reliable as any other car in good condition. I've driven mine to/from many States, my XJ never broke down on me. Only one time and it was near my house, a belt broke so I had no water pump, but I drove it back home by removing the radiator cap and stopping every 5 minutes.

keep looking, you'll find the badge, everything is available for these cars. Also you can check Ebay Mexico and eBay Canada, there's lots of parts suppliers there. I've ordered Jaguar parts from eBay Argentina too, lots of old Jags there. In what condition are the black sunvisors in your car? is the inner foam crumbling?

Old 01-17-2013, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

order the Jaguar Factory Shop and Parts Manual, it guides you through most repairs step by step:

go here: MG Parts | TR Parts | Triumph Parts | Austin Healey Parts | Jag Parts | Jag Bits | Sprite Parts | Midget Parts | Spitfire Parts | Bugeye Parts | Frog Eye Parts | Jaguar Parts | Sunbeam Parts | Classic Car Parts | Pertronix | Gunson | Moto-Lita | LBCa

go to: BOOKS, select JAGUAR, then go to: MANUALS ON CD look for 1979-1987 XJ-6 $16.00

Old 01-17-2013, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by peddlarbob
Guess I lost my money then.

There are a few things you can do without going the aftermarket route.Stainless steel entry seal covers in place of your brushed aluminum ones,chromed speaker surrounds, the third brake light and of course as previously mention the Doe skin colour sun visors.

Would not recommend adding those terrible stainless steel fender and seal panel trim pieces that lots of people have added. They just encourage rust and in my opinion take away from the clean look of the car.

An unbutchered car retains its value far better than a modified one and inmy mind, looks far more classy.
I agree with all except the brushed thresh hold covers: I have a set of the polished stainless steel threshhold covers and I prefer the original brushed aluminum so I never replaced the originals. A matter of taste I suppose. I also added the 3rd Center Mounted Stop Lamp to my car.

Last edited by Jose; 01-17-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:38 PM

In what condition are the black sunvisors in your car? is the inner foam crumbling?
Sunvisors look new, except for one of the attachments is broken. The color clashes with the car so I'm going to replace them anyway.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:44 PM

order the Jaguar Factory Shop and Parts Manual, it guides you through most repairs step by step:

go here: MG Parts | TR Parts | Triumph Parts | Austin Healey Parts | Jag Parts | Jag Bits | Sprite Parts | Midget Parts | Spitfire Parts | Bugeye Parts | Frog Eye Parts | Jaguar Parts | Sunbeam Parts | Classic Car Parts | Pertronix | Gunson | Moto-Lita | LBCa

go to: BOOKS, select JAGUAR, then go to: MANUALS ON CD look for 1979-1987 XJ-6 $16.00
Thanks but the CD doesn't run on Windows 7, I'll buy the manual on ebay in paper form, there seems to be a bunch.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member

yes, windows 7 is a pita. nothing seems to run on it. What attachment is broken in the sunvisors? the chromed arm or the plastic clip? If they are like new, and the foam inside is not desintegrating when you press it, I might be interested in them.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:16 PM

yes, windows 7 is a pita. nothing seems to run on it. What attachment is broken in the sunvisors? the chromed arm or the plastic clip? If they are like new, and the foam inside is not desintegrating when you press it, I might be interested in them.
It's the plastic clip on one of them that's broken. Tell ya what, when I replace them I'll give you them for just the price of shipping since you've been helpful here to a new guy.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:35 PM

Have a couple of questions

1) Can bad gas cause the engine the shake violently while under heavy throttle?
and
2) Can regular gas with 10% ethonol cause the same effect?

reason why I ask is because while the mechanic pulled on the throttle cable when we first started the car after it had sat for 2 months the engine shook like crazy. After awhile though the shaking went away and didn't reoccure.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Have a couple of questions

1) Can bad gas cause the engine the shake violently while under heavy throttle?
and

If you were to characterize the shaking as a heavy misfire, I'd say "yes"

2) Can regular gas with 10% ethonol cause the same effect?

I'll have to say "no". E10 fuel won't cause violent shaking.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-18-2013, 04:10 AM
Veteran Member

sounds great! my sunvisors's inner foam is desintegrating, they are original to the car.
(I have a pair of spare clips but they are black).

my engine runs fine on 87 octane unleaded, no need to spend on higher octane gas.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Series 1 and 2 CD works on 7 & Windows 8

Do not understand why S3 Cd would not work as well?

Old 01-18-2013, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member

everybody has problems with Windows 7. It has proven to be another Microsoft fiasco.
it refuses to run many programs, why? I don't know but I stay away from it.

Quick Reply: 1984 xj6