XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1985 Sovereign (XJ6) right and left forward harness removal (replacement)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 191 Posts
Default 1985 Sovereign (XJ6) right and left forward harness removal (replacement)

So I am trying to de-grease the engine bay and replace the two engine harnesses (left and right forward). I just cannot see myself putting a freshly rebuilt and detailed engine back into a nasty bay.

So, I was determined to remove the left and right forward harness and after hours of slaving I realized that they may actually be sandwiched between two panels right under the fenders and spot welded. Am I looking at this correctly?

Is there a way to cleanly remove the harnesses or do I have to cut through the panel to get to the harnesses?

Furman supervising the work

Old 04-10-2016, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

I, too, took off these looms way back in 1992 when I was refurbing my engine bay !

With the wings off you are best placed to remove each loom. They have to be "persuaded" to come out from their rear entry point. Each loom passes along those small box sections at the top of the inner wheel arches, exiting into the wheel arches, but there should be a cover panel so they don't get damaged from road much (yours are removed, although I can see the securing bracket at its angle of about 25 degrees.

First off, you have to remove the rubber grommets, or they'll not want to come out. After these are removed, you have to "tease" them out, and with gentleness, they will come out. Don't forget to tie a tracer string on the end so you can replace them again !

Each loom can be cleaned up nicely with Jizer, followed by washing powder solution, dried off and then retaped. You can use the old plastic flexible conduit too, as being hidden, hence to UV light, it is usually flexible enough to reuse.

The following users liked this post:
Lagonia (04-10-2016)