Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1985 xj6 - 1000$

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 10:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 xj6 - 1000$

Hey all!

I am not an active member here, but since I am in the hunt for replacement vehicle (just lost mine in the South Tampa flooding that hit a few days ago), I thought I would get the expert opinion on this XJ6 I came across on craigslist.

Here is the URL
1985 JAGUAR XJ6 *2ND OWNER* 113,000 MILES!

I have spoken with the lady and she said there doors on the driver side were in need of a paint job. Apparently most of the paint has worn off, but she didn't mention any dents or dings or other physical damage.

I don't know a thing about Jaguars. Is this a pretty good deal? She said she would let it go for 900$. I am thinking about buying it tomorrow. I only need a car for around 6 months and only plan to drive it within a ten mile radius on to base and within my neighborhood. I really don't plan on taking it anywhere far or getting on the highway, although I am sure it would be fine.

Also, let me know of some common things to look for! Sorry for being so naive and thanks for the help!

Old 06-14-2015, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

Naive only means you lack experience. This section contains Centuries of experience.

This car is a Series 3, and from the picture we can see looks on pretty good shape. However, she mentions damage on the driver door but there's no picture of said damage. If she bashes it into that block wall very many times there will be a Lot of damage but not unrepairable; the thing is you need to Know beforehand.

And even though it's Black (my personal favorite) I can't get past that luggage rack on the trunk lid. I question the reason for it since there's quite enough space in the trunk for At Least 3 dead bodies and a weekend wardrobe if packed carefully or enough tools and spare parts to nearly overhaul the car on the road.

Others with more mechanical knowledge than I have will certainly come by with more comments.
(';')

Old 06-14-2015, 11:10 PM

Haha well hopefully I am not buying this thing from a retired serial killer, but you never know!

I will probably go and check it out tomorrow. If I can get it for 900$ and it gets me to work and back 5 days a week, then I will be happy enough. I just don't know if it is worth the risk of it breaking down in some way. Based on some of my reading around here, I know these old Jags have common electrical problems.

Anyway, here are some more photos for those who don't visit the listing.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

Interior looks good and well cared for. However, I could name names of car owners who are *Only* interested in how things look from the driver's seat and are not the Least bit interested in, for example, how the Climate Control works or if there's rust (surprising if there wasn't any in a car 30 years old) because they're selling it anyway and it will no longer be their problem.

You *Really* need to lay eyes on this car or at least request more pictures and report back for whatever feedback there is to make an informed decision whether or not to fork over your hard earned cash.
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 06-15-2015 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:50 AM
Received 3,817 Likes on 2,791 Posts

As Lnr has very rightly said looks alone won't get you from a-b .....you need to check over the important stuff.....try and get us some pics of damage and engine bay.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

for $900, don't even hagle with the lady, it's worth every penny. Especially if you can drive it home.

the boot Rack is not an original piece but I like it.

the "Pepperpot" wheels are worth some money.

the rear seat has Headrests, those are from a Vanden Plas Edition but there are no Vanden Plas badges which would normally be on the right side of the license plate. Doesn't matter, it has a Vanden Plas interior, worth at least $600.00 used and it looks to be excellent.

The a/c doesn't work, so what? get it fixed, there is a well-known a/c shop in Tampa. If you don't want it, let me know.

Last edited by Jose; 06-15-2015 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I'm gonna break the rule about the categorical statement espoused by a college Prof.

1. Any car that runs and drives is worth $900.00.

Old adage;

1. If you snooze, you lose.

So, test drive it. Starts, drives and stops.

AC may be a recharge or a lot more, but, in my book not a deal killer.

Carl

Old 06-15-2015, 10:33 AM
Received 161 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffmaxwell

Probably imported by an individual at some point. Note the 7" outer headlamps and 5 3/4" inners. As far as I know that configuration was never sold in the US due to dumbass federal laws.
In my opinion it also makes the front view much sexier! Would love to find a set for my MK 10 project.

Please hurry down and buy this car. Otherwise I'm gonna have to go down and rent a U-Haul auto transporter ... again!
It's a long way from my house to Tampa, and my sweetie is barely speaking to me now!

Old 06-15-2015, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

ok I did you a favor,

1) I spoke with the owner, the car does NOT drive, it refuses to accelerate, so you will need to trailer it.

2) the driver's side is messed up from the front door to the rear bumper, contrary to the passenger side which is perfect. There is visible rust on the wheel housing edges, and the front windshield, not a good sign.

Please note that my advice was based on the advertisement itself which states that the car "drives and shifts perfectly". but now it doesn't.

In conclusion, it looks like a good car FOR PARTS.

Attached Thumbnails 1985 xj6 - 1000$-20150614_142904.jpg   1985 xj6 - 1000$-20150614_142938.jpg  

Last edited by Jose; 06-15-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

Whew, it just dropped to $500.00. Were it around here, I'd be tempted. Runs, but doesn't accelerate isn't all that bad. Unless the BW 66 went bananas. If so, "I'll take it off your hands, free".

Lights not the guv, the stylists!!! I think it was GM that in about 1958 deiced that four 5 1/4 " lamps looked slick. Submitted to DOT, approved. Wow, others like Ford had to get with it. Most looked far more like added on than integrated ala GM. Even the big trucks did it. So, I guess Jaguar had to get with it for the American market.
Either suits me. As long as they light up.

If the subject car is neither VDP no base, but with features of each, could it be a "grey market" car?

Good thing it is far away. Helps me resist temptation. some work might make a really nice car of it. Always did like black cars. White, no where near as much.

Carl

Old 06-15-2015, 02:59 PM
Received 245 Likes on 147 Posts
Default low cost xj6

So many Xj6 cars being scrapped,.. I would replace the damaged body panels rather than repair. Parts are so cheap.

Does not drive ....adjust the bands on trans ?

Curious car .. has some VDP bits 'n' pieces... Burl dash ,. map pockets in doors with speakers,.. does not have VDP recessed instruments, Does not have VDP style Boxwood inlays in top of door wood trim.

Tear that atrocious luggage rack off the car in fact replace the boot lid - so ghetto.

This car would be perfect for a "lump"project.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:23 PM
Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

I love craigslist. IT RUNS,DRIVES,AND SHIFTS PERFECTLY = it does not run and does not accelerate. Also, I'll just not include any non-flattering photos where the car was side-swiped.

That luggage rack is atrocious. A refined spoiler would cover up the drill holes.

Attached Thumbnails 1985 xj6 - 1000$-01616_5aocdzmmqc7_600x450.jpg   1985 xj6 - 1000$-00m0m_jfhhvutljgl_600x450.jpg  
Old 06-15-2015, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jose
ok I did you a favor,

1) I spoke with the owner, the car does NOT drive, it refuses to accelerate, so you will need to trailer it.

2) the driver's side is messed up from the front door to the rear bumper, contrary to the passenger side which is perfect. There is visible rust on the wheel housing edges, and the front windshield, not a good sign.

Please note that my advice was based on the advertisement itself which states that the car "drives and shifts perfectly". but now it doesn't.

In conclusion, it looks like a good car FOR PARTS.
Well, you saved me a lot of time. I was leaving work and would have been en route to go check out the car when I noticed your post. I was actually a little ticked off at how misleading this lady was. Why shroud the ad in mystery when you know very well all these negatives are going to come to light?!

I ended up texting her and asking again if the car ran. She said "Yes." but didn't emphasize. I then asked for photos of the drivers side and she sent me some photos of a wrecked beemer. So I asked again and she sent me the two photos you posted. I then asked if the car drove and accelerated. She said yes, but it does not accelerate or drive that well. Haha crazy lady! What else is she lying about?

Attached Thumbnails 1985 xj6 - 1000$-screenshot_2015-06-15-19-26-22.png   1985 xj6 - 1000$-screenshot_2015-06-15-19-26-44.png   1985 xj6 - 1000$-screenshot_2015-06-15-19-26-57.png  
Old 06-15-2015, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jeffmaxwell
Well, you saved me a lot of time. I was leaving work and would have been en route to go check out the car when I noticed your post. I was actually a little ticked off at how misleading this lady was. Why shroud the ad in mystery when you know very well all these negatives are going to come to light?! I ended up texting her and asking again if the car ran. She said "Yes." but didn't emphasize. I then asked for photos of the drivers side and she sent me some photos of a wrecked beemer. So I asked again and she sent me the two photos you posted. I then asked if the car drove and accelerated. She said yes, but it does not accelerate or drive that well. Haha crazy lady! What else is she lying about?
that's because I have experience!! I asked the right questions, no really, she is an older lady, does not know anything about cars, what she meant is that THE ENGINE STARTS, but she called a mechanic who cannot get it to accelerate past 20 mph. That is the first issue. I also asked her if the car had ANY VISIBLE DAMAGE on the opposite side, (which is not shown in the ad), then she said "yes but the pictures looked terrible, it has a lot of bondo repairs on the driver's side", I asked her for the pics and she sent me pics, UUGGHHH. Lots of rust visible on the pictures, some I did not bother to post. The wheel opening "lips" are shot. I think the car was side-swiped.

it might be a Northern or Northeastern car, they rust badly, probably left in Florida by a Snowbird, they do that all the time. Abandon Ship !!

Last edited by Jose; 06-15-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member

Anyone note that cider block wall close to the driver side? Older lady? You suppose?

I am more inclined to accept the luggage rack than the air foil. But, out with either is better.

Rust bucket or not, it looks like a fun project. At the right price,

Carl

Old 06-16-2015, 01:28 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

I am of two minds on this one. The engine problem may not be that serious, but between the rust and the dents it probably isn't worth restoring, at least financially. But, at $500, it is certainly worth the price just in parts. The interior looks very clean, and that and the wheels would probably bring close to $1000. Heck, I might be interested in the front seats. On the other hand Jeff said he was looking for a car that he could drive back and forth to work. This one ain't it, not for a while anyhow. And it seems devious to me when people won't post pictures of damage on their craigslist ads. But then she seemed honest with Jose, and one should always remember Hanlon's razor (Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity).

I think it might be a good buy for someone, but probably not for Jeff.

-mB

Old 06-16-2015, 02:44 PM
Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Beda
I am of two minds on this one. The engine problem may not be that serious, but between the rust and the dents it probably isn't worth restoring, at least financially. But, at $500, it is certainly worth the price just in parts. The interior looks very clean, and that and the wheels would probably bring close to $1000. Heck, I might be interested in the front seats. On the other hand Jeff said he was looking for a car that he could drive back and forth to work. This one ain't it, not for a while anyhow. And it seems devious to me when people won't post pictures of damage on their craigslist ads. But then she seemed honest with Jose, and one should always remember Hanlon's razor (Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity).

I think it might be a good buy for someone, but probably not for Jeff.

-mB

I agree, good for a parts car, especially if you have the space to park it and take your time removing the parts you can use and selling off the bits you can't. If the color of the seats match the door panels most of the interior could be swapped into a car in need of a new one.

I guess tastes vary, but you have to wonder why someone would put a luggage rack on the back. That car with the trunk spoiler was just a craigslist ad came across and saved. How fast would you need to go to get the benefit of that thing?

Old 06-16-2015, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member

I like the rack !!

Old 06-17-2015, 07:54 AM
Received 161 Likes on 90 Posts

I liked the rack too, but that "refined" spoiler thing was beyond tacky!

Last edited by retromotors; 06-17-2015 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member

where does it say $500. ?? The car is still advertised at $1k.

Quick Reply: 1985 xj6 - 1000$