XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1987 XJ6 Lump issue I never knew....

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 11:35 AM
Received 201 Likes on 92 Posts
Talking 1987 XJ6 Lump issue I never knew....

SO, I gave my daughter my 87 XJ6, lumped by the previous owner. For those of you new to the jaguar world, "Lump" refers to "Less Upkeep, More Power", and is talking about when the original engine is tossed to the boat anchor world and a chevy (or what ever) engine & transmission is installed.

ANYWAY, her shift cable failed due to the "plastic like connection point to the shift consol linkage assembly" melted and there is no secure connection so the cable just kinda moves around instead of placing the tranny in gear. According to British Auto Center (aka wrecking yard) in Seattle, Washington, U.S.A, this occurs when people lump their Jaguars with a different engine and transmission and fail to replace the ground path.

Seems the original equipment provides adequate ground, but the lumped equipment does not, so, the shift cable becomes the ground, gets hot enough to soften and eventualy cause the cables "plastic" parts to fail. The solution is to place a braided ground cable from the engine to the firewall or otherwise suitable ground point like the frame.

I wouldn't have figured that out, and I guess British Auto sees it all the time with lumped Jaguars. He said they sell a LOT of shift cables for that very reason.

They ship anywhere in the world.

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (08-20-2014)
Old 08-20-2014, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Actually that problem is as old as the hills and goes far beyond lumped Jags. Believe it or not *just yesterday* I was talking to a pal with a '69 Pontiac that has a stiff shift cable and we took a stroll down memory lane to our dealership days in the 70s-80s when replacing shift cables was very common.....due to poor grounding just exactly as you say.

I can *almost* remember the part number for the '73-'77 Olds Cutlass shift cable. I wanna say 416159. Gah! We always kept a half dozen in stock!

Sometimes the throttle cable that takes the beating, too!

Cheers
DD

Old 08-20-2014, 02:57 PM
Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Bad Alfa engine R&R's often do not rehook the ground strap or it rusts out; allowing the throttle cable to provide ground,,,,for awhile!

Old 08-21-2014, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

If done right, lumping does not present the ground failure episodes. There is a braided wire ground strap connecting the engine trans assembly to the chassis as the cars left Brownslane. If upon lumping, this strap is properly reconnected, all will be well. And it's easy to do. if not, yeah odd things will happen. Or normal things will not happen even both!!!!

Now, the swaging on the original cable can fail. Lots of stress on it. Parking downslope against a curb can make a strong necessary to disengage park. Pow, cable failure. Big mess to unscramble.

There is a "new" improved cable available. My cable failed in my driveway. Replaced during the lumping process. So far, all is well.

But, caveat as to mho0w you park!!!

Carl