XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

#3 Cylinder miss / AC Relay

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 10:50 PM
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Default #3 Cylinder miss / AC Relay

A query didnt really turn up any info on these subjects. Maybe someone has a quick thought.

1. My #3 cylinder only has 35 lbs of pressure vs 135 on the other cylinders. Im betting that this has been an issue since Ive owned it so been driving it for 10k miles that way. Any ideas of why this is the case? Spark plug was wet so its getting fuel thats for sure. Not an engine guy so not sure what the causes could be.

2. Had to put in a bypass switch to my AC compressor. The wiring near the compressor has worn through the insulation and probably shorted out the relay because the compressor would not turn on and it was pushing only hot air. The bypass makes the AC run ice cold. Where is the relay ?

Thank you for the help in advance.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

hi,
there is no "a/c" or compressor relay, (there is a relay for the 4 Fan Blower Speeds),

there is the "A/C Amplifier" which I suppose could be considered a "relay" in a sense, but it is not a Relay per se. I think the Amplifier is the problem assuming the fuses are good. The Amplifier is located behind the radio, a PITA to find and remove, but you can follow its large white plastic plug with 17 or so thin wires located on the "right knee and vent upholstery panel" in the driver's side. (I always forget how many thin wires are in that plug).

**the amplifier (if the original) is held in place by a "spring" bracket behind the radio, sort of like a black box. (some from 1986 are brown). If it has been replaced, it might look like a Habana cigar, an elongated type of component, and it may be found next to the multi-pin plug.

first check the 50-amp Compressor Fuse in the passenger's side Fuse Box. There is also a plastic Superheat "fuse" held by one of the compressor's bolts, ususally the top mounting bolt by the compressor clutch. If the wiring harness is bad, (have you tested it for continuity??) then make a new one! remove it from the compressor and follow it to the opposite side, making notes as you disconnect it from all its connecting points. Making a new compressor harness is no big deal, you need the proper gauge wires, end terminals, solder, solder flux, solder gun, and a couple rolls of electrical tape OR a large shrink tube where the wires will fit inside and that can be used as a "sleeve".

Last edited by Jose; 07-04-2012 at 12:32 PM. Reason: **adding more info.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:39 AM

Jose,

Thanks for the heads up. I will try those suggestions and check back in with the results. Was doing research elsewhere on the dead cylinder and I will pull the valve covers and check for a stuck valve or bad spring. Hope its not the head gasket which I doubt because its never overheated and Im not loosing coolant anywhere.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

you welcome sneal46.

also check to see if the vents are opening and closing as you change the MODE switch positions with the TEMP switch at 65 and at 85. You should hear a sort of a "ticking" or "clicking" mechanism sound. (engine should be running). If you hear the clicking, it will confirm the Servo is working; (the Servo is the part that opens and closes the vents depending on TEMP and MODE selection, those rarely go bad but they stop working if vacuum is interrupted).

Old 07-11-2012, 10:26 PM

The miss in cyl 3 was a result of a bad exhaust valve. Head is pulled and I am having a total valve job done with hardened seats. Sucks but once it is done the car will run tip top again. Most likely the result of sitting for many years.