Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 05:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 310 Likes on 219 Posts

What was the offer Ken?

Old 03-02-2017, 06:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Hi [scatcat] . . . $4800 is being asked but listed as negotiable. I note that itemized parts replaced comes to beyond that. Location is Bogangar NSW, just south of the border at Tweed Heads.

Here is the link <1964 Jaguar MkX>

Not far from Atherton / Cairns . . . Got your name written all over it . . . ?

Cheers

Ken

The following users liked this post:
o1xjr (03-02-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 05:03 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Originally Posted by o1xjr
Everything working as it should and she is being used most days unless I ride. Not hearing much means nothing needs attention.
Jinxed by Lnrb

First thought at 6am was fuel tank, but quick sniff and taste test dispelled that theory, oil..................
Went to make coffee thinking it will be an IRS out job for a leaking diff.
At that point I hadn't looked under the car to see where the trail started.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:51 AM
Received 123 Likes on 56 Posts

Emergency text message at 7am this morning meant I had to pull out the crystal ball to do the diagnostics from 40km away. Failed shock was the out come. put the ball back in a safe place for next time and gave Clarkey the call. new part on its way and got back to the breakfast beers. Clarkes shout again.

o1xjr (03-04-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,995 Likes on 5,311 Posts

Don't you go blaming me, Clarke, I only Asked how the car was doing, I wasn't the one Bragging about how great it is.

That's as Sure a way to tempt Murphy as I've ever seen!

Last night after supper I got the water pump isolated from all the other "stuff" they hang off the front of that engine. Spring work has started and that's the first chance I've had.

Today I'll at least get it pried off and the block cleaned up. We're expecting more rain this week so there's no hurry.
(';')

o1xjr (03-04-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I'm in the last stages of my awful head cold. As my son expressed it, "your immune system stlll works!". He keeps testing me with tales of his machinations of bringing old machinery into the age of computers.

So, I'll venture out on errands today. Jaguar. Daughter has my Jeep. Her Passat is "acting out". It is in my driveway!!! Runs fine. but, has bad habbit of conking out at the most inopportune times. As if any were opportune? Well, just mebbe, hoe driveway!!!!

My Bay tree balancing project is 90 % done. All trunks, branches and twigs stored or gone. A couple of trim cuts on the tree itself to finnish.

Front pasture weed whack about 75% done. Rain tonite? So, get back at it next week.

On point.

1. My codicil to Murphy's infamous law. "... and once having gone wrong, will remain so..." Hope Elinor's NIX escapes each.

2. A bust shock leaks that much oil? I've never seen that. Not that even at 87, that I've seen everything. At least, it is a reasonably easy fix. Oh, not here. The coil thing, yikes....

Carl

Old 03-04-2017, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by LnrB
Don't you go blaming me, Clarke, I only Asked how the car was doing, I wasn't the one Bragging about how great it is.

That's as Sure a way to tempt Murphy as I've ever seen!

(';')
I think Murphy just sits back and waits to get us. Dr Phill is here tonight for a stay over. And no car action took place....I think Jimmy won tonight(Jim Beam)

We know where the problem is, warranty claim on the 11 month old rear shocks should sort it, just waiting for Monday morning to make the call.

Elinor, never bragging. Just had a good run for a few months.

Last edited by o1xjr; 03-04-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 452 Posts

I thought you had just put too much muffler fluid in it!!

Old 03-04-2017, 11:39 AM

Muffler fluid was a thought, but not for long since I didn't add muffler fluid on the last IRS rebuild.

Old 03-05-2017, 02:56 PM
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default black series 2

I saw a beautiful black xj6 at a body shop in western washington while making a delivery this week. Reminded me of the picture of your car. Very straight and distinctive.Hope the water pump re and re goes good!

LnrB (03-05-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member

Why, Thank you, Peter!
The water pump r&r is going well, although I haven't been in any particular hurry, as we're expecting a rainy week, and I took today off to visit friends.

I have the old pump off and the new one bolted up:

I only need to bolt up all that *Other* stuff they hang off the front of engines -- air pump, power steering pump, alternator (+ its Gigantic mounting bracket), AC compressor, and not to forget all the belts (in the Correct order) and the fan.

I used Hylamar on the pump-to-block gaskets as recommended by the manufacturer. 30 years ago someone installed the last pump with something similar, because although I was fully prepared for a fight to clean up the block, the old gaskets came off with a razor blade scraper just like they were butter!

More rain tomorrow so I'll probably finish this up as I can't work. I'll have to wait for a dry day for testing though, because with all the peripherals mounted it's hard to tell if that puddle under the car is coolant of rain water.
(';')

Old 03-05-2017, 11:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

I was thinking of converting to a serpentine belt on my car to escape multi belt mayhem on the front of these motors. Had a look at the Summit catalogue and put the idea down and backed away quietly. With exchange rate and shipping I thought maybe it wasnt really a $1000 problem :-)

LnrB (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member

Elinor:

Very workmanlike. Looking good, what else!!! If you have one of those big flat drip pans, place it under NIX and fire her up. No better place to check for leaks than at home base. although, I'm sure you do it, I find that a 3/8" socket, extension and rachet beats a mere screwdriver for tightening worm drive hose clamps.

As for work, I'm with you. Much garden work to do, but far too wet. And, my garage is super cold. Trying to heat it would be like the same for a barn!! Any heat goes to the rafters!!! Coco and I went pout early. All quite wet, but no rain falling. I just opened the front window drapes. Plenty of the wet coming down. I forgot to go to the Pet food place. Coco's regular chow is out. So, he is on back up rations. he chomps
'em tight down, just fine.

Steve.

My lump has an engine from a 94 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. An LT1, a sophisticated last version of the ubiquitous SBC. Serpentine belt!! Perhaps, a visit to the breaker. A mid 90's or later Holden V8. Rob the ancillaries. I struggled with mounting my Serpentine. The square drive in the idler just didn't work as the manual said. But, I wiggled and stretched and got it on. True, much better than the old tech "V" belts.

Carl

The following 2 users liked this post by JagCad:
level 1 (03-23-2017), LnrB (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

Steve:
Our Adequate Vehicle (Sonata) has a single serpentine belt, and a snaky thing it is too! I'll take my chances with multiple V-belts, individually adjusted for each component.

Carl: Thank you for your comments.
Nix has a couple permanent drip trays under her, the problem with testing in the garage, even with the door open, is the resulting exhaust fumes. I planned to merely back her out on the driveway, but it's a bit wet out there at the moment.

About as soon as I discovered that hose clamps had hex heads I kept a 1/4" and 5/16" nut driver close at hand for just that reason.

These belong in the shop, but I keep a pair of these in my work truck too. Screwdriver slots are often Useless.

If I can't get onto the screw straight, there is this set that belonged to husband's father; he wanted me to show you as he thought you might appreciate them:

The ratchet was worn out when husband found it among his father's things, so he replaced it with a clickless one.

One of the cutest features of this set is the 1/4 square hole in the back of the handle for this tiny breaker bar.

There's no lack of tools here! If we need something that by some remote chance he hasn't got tucked away somewhere, that's a valid excuse to go buy one!
(';')

Old 03-06-2017, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Elinor:

Indeed, I do appreciate the old tech tools. I's be proud to have one in my boxes.

Your nut drivers are indeed far better than mere screw drivers. But, extensions and ratchet wrenches ala the one from husband's dad is even better.

My interest in tools dates back to circa 1946. I saved up money from my job at a soda fountain and bought a socket set at Whites Auto in El Paso. 1/2" drive, a selection of sockets an extension, a break over bar, a ratchet and a nice tin case. Slick. My pal Billy was impressed and referred to it as the 'click click" set.

I still have few of the sockets. Other parts lost in the dust of the ages.o

Thanks, tools are fun.

Carl

LnrB (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member
Default All Buttoned Up...

Earlier this afternoon I got everything buttoned up and even the belts tightened.

Here's proof if you need it:

Like you all guys have never seen a new SBC water pump before.
Ya Right!

Leak testing will commence tomorrow weather permitting. If it's too nice I'll have to work and testing will be postponed.

Right now it's time for Midori and Bacardi White.
See ya.........
(';')

Old 03-07-2017, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

"Right now, I'm wrapping myself around a Positively Wicked Margarita."

"Right now it's time for Midori and Bacardi White.
See ya........."

I'm seeing a trend here

You appear to be meeting all the criteria, when are you migrating to Oz?

LnrB (03-07-2017)
Old 03-07-2017, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member

Naa, I have my hands full terrorizing my local highways and byways.
(';')

Old 03-07-2017, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member

We humans need proper lubricants just as much as our mechanical steeds do.

My choice is the bargain beer at Rite Aide. The good stuff, craft or imported.
Not the usual diluted domestic "beers". Ala Blue Moon, Belgian Shock to, German Sta. Pauli, etc.

Carl

Old 03-07-2017, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 310 Likes on 219 Posts

I'm a Wine Buff, usually the expensive stuff, though I'm always on the lookout for a cheap drop tastes way better than it's price. Right now my local is flogging off a nice Sth Australian Shiraz for only $6 a bottle. which I normally wouldn't look twice at. But a mate brought one around for Dinner a few months ago & I was so mightily impressed I've been drinking it ever since. & even a couple of months of familiarity haven't lessened my liking for it. I keep buying the occasional bottle of my favourite $20 tipple, just to check that I'm not degrading my pallet. But so far, I can't tell the difference, well not so much that I'll pay more than three times the price. I haven't tested it against my favourite $50 bottle, or $100 bottle, as they're just special occasions anyway. But I wouldn't be surprised if it held it's own in a blind tasting. For the record it's being marketed over here as Commodore Estate, & they're Chardonnay is more than acceptable too.

level 1 (03-23-2017)