Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 06:41 PM
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 76 XJ6C tank removal (submersible pump

Hello again,

Old 09-23-2014, 07:17 PM

Hello again,

Just wanted to share a little experience... I started by draining the tank, disconnected the electrical at the submersible pump through the access plate in the wheel well, detached the fuel line, and then removed side bumper piece. Removed all the screws and bolts holding the tank cover below the rear quarter and dropped the cover. Removed the side cover inside the trunk (boot) and removed the bolt high on the inner fender wall, also removed drain back tube right next to it. Next was a bolt through the fender wall all the way at the rear of the exhaust tunell. I was able to sneak an extension and a universal past the tail pipe through the tail pipe exit hole in the rear valence below the bumper to loosen and remove it. Also reached up behind the tank to remove furl sender electrical connections. Up top, I removed the 4 gas cap assembly mounting screws and after much wiggling and pulling, popped out the assembly. At this point I expected the tank to drop... Not! It took me a while but after wiggling the tank a bit, I finally figured out there was one more bolt through the lower inner fender. I then removed the rear muffler (resonator?) with a lot of PB blaster, twisting, pulling, and a heavy rubber mallet and then removed the heat shield that lines the exhaust tunnel. And there it was, the last bolt. removed it and the tank dropped. Whew!

I am planning on cleaning the tank with castrol cleanall and a chain, followed by a muriatic acid solution to remove rust, followed by a baking soda and water solution to neutralize the acid, followed by acetone to clear any remaining water left by the baking soda solution. I know this is really old school (I'm old), so if any of you know of something more modern (easier) please let me know.

Thanks,

Steve

Old 09-23-2014, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Get a new tank while you still can. All those chemicals arent free and its likely the tank will leak at the seems. Todays ethanol fuels will quickly re-corode 70's era steel. New spectra tanks are made from a stronger alloy.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:04 AM

ICS,

Pretty close to free... Chemicals are about $10. I haven't seen a new tank for less than $350. I haven't worked with Jaguar tanks before. The tank doesn't leak now, why will it "likely leak at the seems" after cleaning? Have you had experience with Jaguar tanks leaking after cleaning?

Thanks,

Steve

Old 09-24-2014, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by steve_schmidt
ICS,

Pretty close to free... Chemicals are about $10. I haven't seen a new tank for less than $350. I haven't worked with Jaguar tanks before. The tank doesn't leak now, why will it "likely leak at the seems" after cleaning? Have you had experience with Jaguar tanks leaking after cleaning?

Thanks,

Steve

Yes.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:42 AM
Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Steve, thanks so much for taking the time to give us the detailed story. I will be doing the same thing( I assume) this winter to my XJ6C . I've copied and saved your description for reference

geneo