XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'85 Vanden Plas Window Motor Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 01:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '85 Vanden Plas Window Motor Problem

The passenger side windows (front and back) in my '85 Vanden Plas work intermittently (about 10% of the time -- if they go down, then they reliably go up). I've checked the switches in center console and they are OK so I'm guessing problem is an electrical connection in the door someplace. I've removed the front door trim panel, but not sure what to do next -- there is a full metal "plate" covering pretty all the mechanisms within the door (including the window lift motor) which has 15 or so screws connecting it to things inside the door. Does anybody have a manual that describes how to get to the window lift motor and its electrical connections?

Old 06-29-2017, 07:18 PM
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

How did you check the switches? They can appear to be good but won't pass enough current to operate the windows all the time. First I would try a known goo switch, preferably new, and replace the one not working. I've found that unless they are used frequently like the drivers side, the pass side ones don't work consistently.

The following users liked this post:
jpbmass (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 04:08 AM

I pulled the connector from the passenger switch, connected it to the driver-side switch (which successfully operates the driver window) and tried to open the passenger window; no success.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:39 AM
Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

I bet you have a ground problem on the right hand side.
Either that, or the latches for the right hand window fuse are corroded to some extent...

Old 06-30-2017, 07:46 AM

That sounds logical. I just checked the fuse, and that doesn't appear to be the issue (that would be too easy!) ; attempted to operate passenger front window while monitoring voltage supplied to rear passenger window connector - voltage remained solid. The circuit diagram shows lift motor supply and return are individually wired from each switch to the respective motor. Any suggestions on how to get inside the front door panel to check for internal wiring issues?

Old 06-30-2017, 09:52 AM

Saemetric: My sincere apologies and thanks -- you were absolutely correct when you pointed the finger of suspicion at the switches. Before attempting to disassemble the door and window assembly, I disconnected both driver side connectors from their two switches and swapped in the passenger side connectors. And voila, the two driver side switches successfully operated the two passenger side windows! I'm not sure what I screwed up when I tried the initial test, but it works now. Your insight and help is very very much appreciated.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

You've stumbled across a Jaguar "fixes itself" phenomena. Disconnect and reconnect. Repeat a few times. Much good gear has been tossed, because the phenomena took place on the mere replacement of the component.

Early on, I earned that the internals of these switches are far from robust. But, they can be opened and the contacts cleaned. A bit finicky.
Work over a pan, as the bits can stray. Two pans and a Pozi and a flat
blade driver are all the tools needed. But, a bit of emery cloth or even a pencil eraser for contact cleaning works. Dielectric grease if you want.

Carl