XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

86 XJ6 Power Steering Pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 86 XJ6 Power Steering Pump

I have a 86 Xj6 VDP, the problem is the powersteering pump. It seems is if it is starting to fail. The belt is and has been tightened and that did not fix the problem. The belt squeeks when th car is cold when the slightest turn is applied. When it warms up i can feel the pump slightly working and when i put to much pressure at on time aka ( turning a corner) it will squeek. I checked the belt its ok, the Pump is filled to the proper level. Could it be the pump it self? if so is there a way to check it and what am i looking for to find out if its bad.

Thanks
Kamak

Old 03-04-2009, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

that's a GM Saginaw pump, just go to any salvage yard and pull one from any GM car.
about $20. at Pull-A-Part.

Or, go to any auto parts with yours and match it with a rebuilt pump. The only difference you might encounter might be the mounting bolt threads might be SAE instead of Metric, in that case just buy new bolts for about $1.00.

Same for the Air Pump. (Delco). Same for the A/C Compressor, (A6 Harrison). Same for the Ignition Amplifier. (Delco).

Jose

Old 03-04-2009, 09:20 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Kamak,

Do yourself a favor and replace the belt with a Jaguar factory belt. The power steering pumps almost never fail, and it would have to be intermittantly binding up to make the belt squeal.

Harry's House of Belts might have supplied something that is on your car now, and is not the correct width.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Jose
that's a GM Saginaw pump, just go to any salvage yard and pull one from any GM car.
about $20. at Pull-A-Part.

Or, go to any auto parts with yours and match it with a rebuilt pump. The only difference you might encounter might be the mounting bolt threads might be SAE instead of Metric, in that case just buy new bolts for about $1.00.

Same for the Air Pump. (Delco). Same for the A/C Compressor, (A6 Harrison). Same for the Ignition Amplifier. (Delco).

Jose

I hate to pick nits, Jose, but your advice, which is basically sound, is a little too broad !

GM hasn't used the old Saginaw pump in ages so you really can't get one from "any" GM car.

Same with the A6 compressor.....with fundamentally unchanged for 20-some years, there are actually several sub variations and they are not all directly interchangable. You can't just grab any old A6 as you might grab the wrong one !

Cheers
DD

Old 03-05-2009, 04:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
I hate to pick nits, Jose, but your advice, which is basically sound, is a little too broad ! GM hasn't used the old Saginaw pump in ages so you really can't get one from "any" GM car. Same with the A6 compressor.....with fundamentally unchanged for 20-some years, there are actually several sub variations and they are not all directly interchangable. You can't just grab any old A6 as you might grab the wrong one !
Cheers DD

that's why I said "go to any auto parts with yours and match it".

Old 03-05-2009, 03:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well i do not know what i am looking for if i take it off, i do not want to replace it if it isnt broke, the belt looks like its the correct width. However if i tighten too tight it squeels all the time rather than just turning....i maybe doing something wrong.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Jose
that's why I said "go to any auto parts with yours and match it".

But not before saying.....

"that's a GM Saginaw pump, just go to any salvage yard and pull one from any GM car.
about $20. at Pull-A-Part."

......which could very easily having an inexperienced person doing exactly what you advise them to do and then coming home with the wrong pump. Which could also happen if they took you at your word about the A6 compressors.

And while were on the subject of giving correct information, the amplifier is made by Lucas. The module *inside* the amplifier is GM/AC Delco. If you send someone to a GM/Delco source for the *amplifier* they will end up wasting a lot of time and coming home empty handed.

Cheers
DD

Old 03-06-2009, 03:56 AM
Veteran Member

are you absolutely sure it is the Power Steering Belt that is squealing?

Have you checked the Alternator Belt for tightness too? To get to that one, you need to remove the Splash Panel under the radiator, and then you see the Alternator Belt adjuster. Try adjusting (if needed) the Alternator Belt.

Also, the Air Pump itself is a known squealer when they are starting to go. That belt adjuster you can access from the top.

Jose