XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'86 XJ6: Power Steering Pump Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 08:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default '86 XJ6: Power Steering Pump Bracket

Hi, while waiting for the correct air conditioning compressor to arrive, I went to work on the power steering pump: I could not adjust the belt tension because something was stuck. I finally got the pump off the cast-iron bracket, and this bracket pivots at the bottom on a bolt to allow the pump to be adjusted. The bracket is frozen at the pivot. I have moved it some with a hammer but I need to get it apart to free it up and put some Sweet Slick Stuff on the pivot bolt.
Can I unbolt the aluminum bracket which holds the pivot bolt and which is bolted to the side of the engine crankcase? Is there anything else involved, like internal parts, or is it just what it appears to be: a cast aluminum bracket bolted to the engine's side?
While I'm at it, might as well change the pressure and return hoses. What about the pump? I'll check the price then decide.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:25 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Talking Brackets and bolt holes...

A bracket holding on any external engine (NOT motor...pet pieve...motors are ELECTRIC) Anyway, I digress...any bracket that holds on any engine component, serves that single purpose, to hold the component in place. I personally have never heard of a bolt going through a bracket, through the engine block and holding on an internal part.

Feel free to take that bracket off with no worries of internal parts falling into the engine and causing havoc...there are no parts to fall.

The following users liked this post:
Wascator (08-12-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Marvin:

We are a minority against the world as to motors vs engines!! I try, but admit I don't always get it right!!

An electric motor is used to start the gasoline engine!!!

Chuckle!!

Carl

Old 08-13-2013, 02:37 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Talking

It is indeed my biggest pet pieve.

1) Engine - internal combustion or pressure chamber employed to create force and generate horse power.

2) Motor - copper/equivelent wire wrapped around an axis surrounded by multiple contact points, energized by electrified brushes to create a magnetic pulse causing rotation and generating horse power.

3) Diesel electric engines - diesel engines spinning electric generators to generate a magnetic field which turns a secondary electric drive that transfers power to a series of axles to create forward/reverse motion.

Motors aren't engines, and engines aren't motors.....

Old 09-11-2019, 11:37 AM
Received 176 Likes on 114 Posts

Colloquially speaking you guys wouldn't be incorrect.

However, technically speaking, according to dictionary definitions you are incorrect.
A motor is not an engine, an engine is a motor.

A motor is a machine that converts other forms of energy into mechanical energy and so imparts motion.

An engine is a motor that converts thermal energy to mechanical work.

EDIT: My bad, didn't mean to bump this. Got distracted as this popped up under my post as a related thread. Nothing to see here folks, carry on.

Dictionary definitions provided by Princeton online dictionary

Last edited by Mad Hatter; 09-11-2019 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Just realized I chimed in on a 6 year old thread and want to shoot myself.