Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on Selling '78 XJ6L

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 09:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Selling '78 XJ6L

Hi,

It's time for me to sell Dad's old Jag, but I have no idea what it's worth or where to sell it. Is Craig's List a viable option for selling a car like this?

I put together a web page for the car. It tells the story so I won't re-post that here. Clicking on the thumbnails displays high-resolution images of the car.

Any advice on what to ask for the car and where to advertise it will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance....
Rob

Attached Thumbnails Advice on Selling '78 XJ6L-xj6l-cover-med.jpg  
Old 08-27-2013, 12:47 PM
GGG
Received 16,789 Likes on 12,163 Posts

Welcome to the forum Rob,

I've moved your question from Jaguar Forums Advice / Feedback & Suggestion Center section to XJ6 Series III section. The Advice/ Feedback section is for posts about the forum and not for tech questions.

Members here with the same model will be able to advise on value etc.

Graham

Old 08-27-2013, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

I can't give any idea of price for the USA, but the mileage is low so that counts a PLUS, and its an early Series 3 so that's a MINUS.

Why a minus ? Well at that time Jaguar (as well as the rest of the United Kingdom) were in absolute chaos, the country had become virtually ungovernable, and the unions ran the roost. walking round government offices like a team of inspectors. Yes, it really was like that !!!! So Jaguar quality suffered. However the tender loving care your father gave the car over the years means it will not have suffered so much from what might have been bad build quality. I had a 1980 Series 3 for 14 years. It was an expensive mistress, but worth it !

About a year ago this car developed a strange
electrical issue I can't track down. It runs strong and then for
unknown reasons the circuit to the fuel injectors just shuts down and
the car stalls. I've had two mechanics "fix" the problem and get
the car running only to have it happen again. This car needs a
loving new home with a mechanic to sort out the issue.
I am almost certain this is the same fault as I had. The whole fuel injection and ignition system depends on two very tiny contacts coming together in the Mass Air Flow Meter when the flap opens on engine start. Originally designed as a safety issue, (engine stops, so fuel injection stops too, as well as the ignition), this is really the most dangerous aspect of the whole system as the contacts can fail at any time. It is mentioned by Roger Bywater as an aside in his excellent analysis of the XK engine: -

There can be no doubt that many L Jetronic problems involve the airflow meter,
not that it is particularly troublesome but it does have several key functions
and a fault in any of them is equally inconvenient. One of the most common is
for the fuel pump relay switch across terminals 36 & 39 to cease to close
properly. The cure is usually just to remove the black plastic cover (which
involves some patient work with a sharp knife to gradually break the glue joint)
and gently bend the switch contact arms until they close as the flap opens. If
the switch is broken then the airflow meter will usually have to be replaced

I had one or two failures as I was overtaking a car on the opposite side of the road; not good !! Worst was going up a steep hill (15%)on the *** dual carriageway, in Wales in the outside lane of three. I laid a small pile on the seat then managed to get across all three lanes to the shoulder and stopped. A turn of the key and off we went again, (until the next time!!)

The following users liked this post:
RobEmmet (08-28-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts
Default consider this

Nice jag and great period color combo. I'm thinking the car is worth 6 to 10k. Maybe more to the right person. The issues you mention are minor. List it in the classifieds here and on other Jag sites for awhile and if no one wants it try ebay with a low opening bid and a fair reserve. I'd suggest some under carriage photos to show weather the car has any rust. A sold rust free car from this era is rare. The red interior is very nice but may be a bit off putting for some so it may take some more time to sell.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Fraser...Are you sure it is a Series III? The car is a '78 and I thought Series III went into production in '79. Prior to this car my father owned two Series II XJ12's that were nothing but trouble. This car never had quality problems. (Or any problems, really.)

I think you're partially on the right track with the AFM. If you notice there is a spare AFM in the boot. Changing that got the car running. When it started acting up again changing back to the original AFM got the car running too.

Swapping out the ECU also gets the car running (Extra ECU in the boot as well) I think the issue could be in a wiring harness somewhere....

Thanks again,
Rob

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
I can't give any idea of price for the USA, but the mileage is low so that counts a PLUS, and its an early Series 3 so that's a MINUS.

Why a minus ? Well at that time Jaguar (as well as the rest of the United Kingdom) were in absolute chaos, the country had become virtually ungovernable, and the unions ran the roost. walking round government offices like a team of inspectors. Yes, it really was like that !!!! So Jaguar quality suffered. However the tender loving care your father gave the car over the years means it will not have suffered so much from what might have been bad build quality. I had a 1980 Series 3 for 14 years. It was an expensive mistress, but worth it !

I am almost certain this is the same fault as I had. The whole fuel injection and ignition system depends on two very tiny contacts coming together in the Mass Air Flow Meter when the flap opens on engine start. Originally designed as a safety issue, (engine stops, so fuel injection stops too, as well as the ignition), this is really the most dangerous aspect of the whole system as the contacts can fail at any time. It is mentioned by Roger Bywater as an aside in his excellent analysis of the XK engine: -

I had one or two failures as I was overtaking a car on the opposite side of the road; not good !! Worst was going up a steep hill (15%)on the *** dual carriageway, in Wales in the outside lane of three. I laid a small pile on the seat then managed to get across all three lanes to the shoulder and stopped. A turn of the key and off we went again, (until the next time!!)

Old 08-29-2013, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

For the XK-engine cars, Series 3s were the first to get electronic fuel injection. Series 2s are on carburettors. I'm not sure on the V12s, they may have got EFI earlier. Sixes use Lucas-Bosch L-Jetronic, and the V12s D-Jetronic.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:01 PM
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

The door handles, grill, steering wheel and the tail lights all say series 2, according to the haynes manual the last of the series 2s did have injection

Last edited by hooter; 08-29-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,755 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Ser II for sure.

The USA Ser II XJ6s had fuel injection in '78. (or was it '77?) The rest of the world had to wait for the Ser IIIs before getting it

Cheers
DD

RobEmmet (09-11-2013)
Old 08-31-2013, 06:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

In the end, a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I think icsamerica is in the right ball park. Personally I would kill for a red interior. Good luck in selling it. Hopefully it goes to a Jaguar enthusiast who really appreciates what he's got

RobEmmet (09-11-2013)
Old 08-31-2013, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,755 Likes on 7,101 Posts

A smart Jag buyer will jump all over this car because they know that buying (that is, paying for) a car with strong cosmetics is a bargain compared to buying an average example and bringing it up-to-snuff. In this case, for example, I'm sure many thousands were spent on paint and interior.

Most mechanical problems can be repaired at a fraction of the cost of cosmetics.

Cheers
DD

RobEmmet (09-11-2013)