XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another niggley thing

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 05:36 PM
Received 245 Likes on 147 Posts
Default another niggley thing

I have this problem with the boot latch.
It seems the noise I have heard on occasion was the boot lid rattling around because the latch needed an adjustment.

So on my 86 S3 there are 2 bolts that hold the plate that holds the bottom (attached to inner part of boot) of the hook that the latch is supposed to grab when the boot lid is closed.

Well my 2 bolts just freewheel and I can not get any tension on the clasp that holds this "hook' lower stationary portion.

Has anyone else had this problem? there is no way to get behind the rear valance,, May have to weld it in place unless someone else has a better idea.

Thanks in advance

Old 06-18-2018, 06:33 PM

Solved!! Got brave and removed one bolts and saw that it was a alloy bolt - good for nothing !! Found in my pile of junk in garage, 2 nice GM coarse thread panel bolts half a size bigger (10 MM) stuffed it in there and now good to go.
Was ready to remove rear bumper and drill 2 1 inch holes for access....no need now.

Cripes when you use torque to hold something in place best not to use an aluminum bolt.

So false alarm..

Old 06-18-2018, 06:52 PM

Solved!! Got brave and removed one bolts and saw that it was a alloy bolt - good for nothing !! Found in my pile of junk in garage, 2 nice GM coarse thread panel bolts half a size bigger (10 MM) stuffed it in there and now good to go.
Was ready to remove rear bumper and drill 2 1 inch holes for access....no need now.

Cripes when you use torque to hold something in place best not to use an aluminum bolt.

So false alarm..

Old 06-19-2018, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Really ???

Some one else has been there before you, I suspect. My "clamp" was secured by either Pozi or Phillips bolts. I swapped them out for hex heads, early on. My boot lid likes to sprig open for no good reason???

Carl.