XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BRAKE light, easily fixed

Old 05-27-2013, 09:27 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default BRAKE light, easily fixed

Most projects I under go always seem to grow and expand till the end is no longer in sight and I forget where I started and I'm not where I expected...
This is a story of a rare example when something was EASIER than I expected, so I'd thought I'd share.

I was driving my car to the gas station to fill up when my BRAKE light started flickering on an off till it eventually remained on, and I thought "great that's just what I need when I'm trying to sell my car, lights popping up on my dash!" I just recently got that annoying oxygen sensor light to turn off, (thanks to you all)

My first thought was low fluid, even though I'm pretty **** about all the fluids under the hood remaining full, I checked it anyways... yep, full...
The brakes didn't feel spongy, they didn't squeal, felt pretty smooth actually, so I was a little confused, but just as I was getting ready to crawl around on the ground at the gas station in front of everyone to check my brakes I noticed the little rubber hood on the sensor at the top of the brake fluid reservoir was slipping off. So, out of impulse I went to pop it back in place only to find the wires to be gummy gunky and very corroded! Just so happens I had in my trunk a wire brush, brand new slide terminals, and a pare of crimpers. I cleaned the gunky male spade terminals on the sensor with the brush, and cut off the corroded female ends and replaced them with new ones and the light on my dash with the annoying red all caps "BRAKE" has not come back on

hope this is useful, and happy memorial day to all, and a very big thank you to all who have served.

The following users liked this post:
littlelic69 (05-28-2013)