Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bulb out indicator question

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts
Default bulb out indicator question

Anyone that has been following my journey will know that i deleted my side markers, now however my bulb out indicator is lit, all remaining bulbs are lit, are these tied into that circuit and causing this? or do i just have a faulty indicator? i know this works on resistance of some kind ( im no electrician) as i had to replace all bulbs in back at one point as they were different, and putting correct bulbs in fixed my problem! ( had same issue way back in 05 when i bought car)

If by chance this is caused by missing side markers, how do i go about fixing it without reinstalling lamps?

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:08 PM
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Removing the side markers will cause your problem I'd just remove the indicator bullb.

The following users liked this post:
Darrenmb (12-14-2014)
Old 12-15-2014, 09:51 AM
Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

the bulb out indicators do work on voltage which means that if there is uneven current in a circuit, it will illuminate even if all associated bulbs and systems are working properly without burnt/inoperative illumination/bulbs. essentially, it is a test of whether or not all connceted systems are drawing evenly (with the presumption being that any anomoly would be the result of conditions which would be preventing illumination).

I would imagine a solution would be possible theorhetically (removing the connections between the side marker lights systems and the illumination bulb but in all honestly I think I agree with Saemetric and say just remove the indicator bulb - this may all be more trouble than its worth and a good once around the car with the lights on should be all you need to see what lights work and which don't.

then again, if you had the patience to delete the side markers, you clearly have more patience than I and might work out this solution. to my mind though, it's a long hard route to maybe eventually get to the 'solution' of not having the bulb come on incorrectly when removing the bulb will get you to the same place, without losing too much functionality since the bulb doesn't indicate all that much anyway.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Right. The bulb check units need resistance to work right....so you'll need to reintroduce resistance into the circuit. $1.50 worth of resistors would surely do the trick but someone smarter than me will have to chime in to tell us what 'value' is needed

Cheers
DD

Old 12-15-2014, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Caveat: I'm into new waters!! If one measured the resistance of the marker bulbs with a VOM, one would have the idea as to what resistors to buy and wire in in lieu of the bulbs.

My vote is to find another use for the warning lamp hole. Green for ignition on??
Blinking with the distributor!!!

I think mine works properly. On fire up, and lamps on, it stays lit for time, then goes dark.

I wish the thing had told me that my brake lamps were not coming on!!!

Carl

Old 12-15-2014, 02:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you have removed the side markers and filled in the holes so as to have a clean look ... if this is correct;
i would have grounded (resistors) those four wires ... your sensor will think nothing is wrong because you'll have a complete circut ...
the sensor light is supposed to come on for a short period and then go out if all is well.
then maybe i didnt understand the question ... some said all you had to do is remove the bulb ... that WILL cause the sensor to light up .. same as a burnt out blub.

philip