XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buzzing from engine bay (Ser. I)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Buzzing from engine bay (Ser. I)

Alright, as usual, I am back with an issue I would like to figure out. This time its a buzzing noise that sounds somewhat similar to a pair of hair clippers. Its coming from the passenger side of the engine/transmission (LHD car) but I can't seem to pinpoint the noise. At first I thought it was the sensor in the air box, which I still am not sure the point of that, but when I listen closer it seems to be near the back of the engine close to the firewall, and sounds maybe lower than the carbs. It only does it occasionally, but its annoying when I hear it while in traffic because other people would be able to hear it as well. I had the car idling today and the hood open and heard it, then shut the hood, went to leave, and as I put it into drive, the noise almost went away. It was significantly quieter, which makes me think maybe transmission. I have no idea though so I figured someone could lead me in the right direction.

P.S. I am in no way car illiterate, however this Jaguar seems to be different in nearly every way from what I am used to, and is the first European car I have owned. Not to mention the miles of wires and all the mystery vacuum hoses...

Old 09-06-2012, 03:24 AM
Received 10,309 Likes on 6,819 Posts

Couple of thoughts.

Sounds electrical by your description. Sure you havent run over a Prius lately, HAHAHA, I know, back on subject.

Relay "chatter" is my first thoughts, and S1 are not my area, never worked on one, or seen under the bonnet, but relays are there, on that side.

The fuel pump relay (S2 cars) is in that area, and it is controlled by an oil switch.

Failing being an electrical item, my next thoughts are:
Vac booster valve chattering.
Metal pipe rattling, not convinced by your description.
Transmission cooler pipes travelling down the RH side of the engine, do rattle on the silly brackets that are supposed to stop the rattle, true.

I will keep thinking.

The following users liked this post:
Civicalized (09-06-2012)
Old 09-06-2012, 04:16 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for your response, I will definitely check those things out. I will try to record a video of it running when the noise is present and see if that helps identify the sound. I do have a few relays in the area maybe I will (carefully) start feeling around whiles its running and see if I can't narrow it down a little bit.