XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 07:39 AM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts
Default A/C opinions

So I need a new compressor. Local crap store has a rebuilt for 150 or a new one for 325. Coventry doesn't even have any. I've never had to deal with one on my own cars, just went without. for others it's always been their choice.
Can the original be rebuilt? I don't want to wait weeks and be without my car so a swap is probably what I'm looking for.
Is their anywhere that has a good quality replacement? Should I get a rebuilt from local place? Should I get a new one from local place? Both of them are Murray brand. There are a few on amazon also from 177-250, four seasons and AC delco brands.
Opinions from you all would be great!

Old 08-03-2015, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Experiences vary, naturally.

Years ago I did battle with a couple rebuilt compressors....and ending up buying a brand new one from GM after much frustration. I'm not sure if you can still get a brand new one from GM or AC Delco these days.....but I can do some checking.

You mention the auto parts store offering a new one. What brand it is? Just wondering.

If you go with rebuilt I'd get the AC Delco....with fingers crossed that the brand name still means something. They seldom do these days, as you probably know

Some will tell you that "all of the GM A6 compressors are the same"....and that's quite not true. All of them are *almost* the same. There were 2 or 3 pulley sizes, metric or SAE mountings threads, and most importantly, two circuit protection methods: "Superheat switch" or "HSLP Switch" (high side, low pressure).

On the Ser III XJ6s Jaguar used the "Superheat switch type" until VIN 471XXX or something like that....well into the 1987 model year.

In practice you can use either type but the wiring must be changed accordingly.....which is not big deal. Going from Superheat type to HSLP type is considered an upgrade as it eliminates the arcane 'thermal fuse'.

If you get a "HSLP" type compressor make sure to get the HSLP switch itself as well, as compressors of either type do not come with a switch. You transfer the switch from your old compressor. The HSLP switch is different than the superheat switch

One idea would be to upgrade to a more modern compressor. Lighter, direct fit, and not too expensive. Here's one. I think there are others.

The Classic S6 Compressor ? A Direct GM A6 Replacement | Classic Auto Air

You'd have to inquire as to what type of protection circuit they use.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
amaezing (08-03-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

contact Rock Browning at Retro Air in Texas for a new, revised version of the GM-Harrison A6 compressor, see the details at the link below:

Jaguar Air Conditioning Compressors | RetroAir, Inc.

Ahabiam (08-11-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 11:53 AM
Tar
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks for the detailed information on compressor replacement, Doug.

So if I understand correctly, either the HSL P or the superheat – type of compressor can be used as a replacement, with whichever switch you might have?

My car, an early (467---) 87, has had a low pressure switch retrofitted to the original compressor. I am contemplating replacing the compressor (local shop "thinks" it may be failing/leaking so I'm getting my ducks in a row), but I'm not sure which type of compressor would be most appropriate for my application. If I understand you correctly, my retrofitted HSLP wiring should work with either type?

Thanks,
Andrew.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:28 PM
Tar

Another question:

In this post from 2013, Wascator notes a problem with a replacement compressor where bolts on the periphery of the clutch fouled the compressor mounting bracket, so that he had to return it and fall back to a rebuilt A-6:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...keting-101181/

Though they both claim to be a bolt-in direct replacement, the new compressors from both RetroAir and Classic Auto Air have peripheral bolts on the clutch/pulley that could be problematic.

Before I order one of these, and possibly repeat Wascator's stumble, does anyone have specific experience mounting one of these replacement units, who can tell me if they do or do not interfere with the mounting bracket?
Thanks again,
Andrew.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tar
Thanks for the detailed information on compressor replacement, Doug.

So if I understand correctly, either the HSL P or the superheat – type of compressor can be used as a replacement, with whichever switch you might have?

Right. if you have a Superheat type compressor you can replace it with an HSLP type with some minor wiring changes. You can do the reverse as well, with minor wiring changes and adding the old 3-prong thermal fuse

My car, an early (467---) 87, has had a low pressure switch retrofitted to the original compressor. I am contemplating replacing the compressor (local shop "thinks" it may be failing/leaking so I'm getting my ducks in a row), but I'm not sure which type of compressor would be most appropriate for my application. If I understand you correctly, my retrofitted HSLP wiring should work with either type?

A HSLP switch will not work correctly in a Superheat type compressor, or perhaps that's vice-versa. Either switch physically fit...but the compressor rear plates are different, exposing the switch to a different area if the compressor innards.

Those most popular option is to go with the HSLP type compressor so that 3-prong thermal fuse can be eliminated entirely

Cheers
DD

Old 08-03-2015, 03:35 PM
Tar

Right now the car still has the original superheat compressor from the factory, but the wiring has been "upgraded" to use a low pressure switch instead, by a local shop.

So it sounds like a replacement of HSLP type would be the right choice, given the "converted" wiring, and HSLP switch, I currently have—correct?

Old 08-03-2015, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
DD

This looks good Doug, but there is no prices at all, and I sent an email and have gotten no responce. I don't really like customer service like that(lack of).

Old 08-03-2015, 05:19 PM

alright, I'm a bit confused on these two different types. Do I understand correctly that I can tell the difference by the plug=2 wire or 3 wire?. And if I change it, where do I get this retro fit or do I make one?

Old 08-03-2015, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amaezing

This looks good Doug, but there is no prices at all, and I sent an email and have gotten no responce. I don't really like customer service like that(lack of).

That's the one, but since they don't reply, look at the one Jose posted. Looks the same thing. The one Jose posted was what I intended to post...but I got mixed up

Cheers
DD

Old 08-03-2015, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amaezing
alright, I'm a bit confused on these two different types. Do I understand correctly that I can tell the difference by the plug=2 wire or 3 wire?. And if I change it, where do I get this retro fit or do I make one?
The superheat switch system uses a 3 prong thermal fuse (see picture) in the wiring to the compressor. it's usually clipped to the compressor bracket.

The connection at the compressor clutch is 2-wire regardless of superheat type or HSLP type. There is a 1-wire connection at the rear of the compressor for the HSLP or superheat switch.

If your car doesn't have the 3 prong thermal fuse then someone has modified the circuit.....with or without changing compressors.

Cheers
DD

Attached Images  
amaezing (08-03-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member

Here's a document that explains the wiring change from Superheat to HSLP

Cheers
DD

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
hslp wiring.pdf (13.7 KB, 150 views)
Old 08-03-2015, 08:05 PM

That's the one, but since they don't reply, look at the one Jose posted. Looks the same thing. The one Jose posted was what I intended to post...but I got mixed up

Cheers
DD
Thank you both. I'm going to call them in the morning.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:06 PM

The superheat switch system uses a 3 prong thermal fuse (see picture) in the wiring to the compressor. it's usually clipped to the compressor bracket.

The connection at the compressor clutch is 2-wire regardless of superheat type or HSLP type. There is a 1-wire connection at the rear of the compressor for the HSLP or superheat switch.

If your car doesn't have the 3 prong thermal fuse then someone has modified the circuit.....with or without changing compressors.

Cheers
DD
Thank you Doug

Old 08-03-2015, 08:07 PM
Tar

Thanks again Doug.

Now I'm more confused than ever; my understanding has been that the shop replaced the superheat switch with a high-pressure switch in the same compressor, so I have no idea whether they used the same port on the compressor. However, the thermal fuse is still present on its bracket, whether connected or not. I guess I need to examine the wiring in greater detail and try to figure out what they did.

In any case I should order the HSLP version of replacement compressor and wire it according to the diagram you just supplied, correct?

Old 08-03-2015, 08:09 PM

Cheers
DD
Once again, Thank you Doug! I really enjoy the knowledge you share.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:02 PM
Tar

Originally Posted by Tar
Now I'm more confused than ever; my understanding has been that the shop replaced the superheat switch with a high-pressure switch in the same compressor, so I have no idea whether they used the same port on the compressor. However, the thermal fuse is still present on its bracket, whether connected or not. I guess I need to examine the wiring in greater detail and try to figure out what they did.
So I have dived under the bonnet with flashlight and mirror, and as per Doug's document the wiring is set up for a superheat switch, including the thermal fuse. Could the shop even have fitted a low-pressure switch into the port for the superheat switch? There doesn't appear to be any other place on the back of the compressor for anything else. The document linked above says this would be a bad idea.

Questions for the shop, I suppose!

Old 08-03-2015, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tar

Questions for the shop, I suppose!
Yea, but....... Doug is a wizard at these.. I would question anything anyone says that doesn't coinside with his recomomendation. He knows his sh#@!!!!! but please post any results. I for one, want to know. Doug has proven to me(and many others) that he is a man of detail and I would heed his advice before any other(unless they SPECIALIZE in THESE jags). He just knows his Sh#@ when it comes to these!!!

Doug (08-03-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 09:55 PM

Cheers
DD
WOW!! Super simple to understand! Just like a jag, easy for someone who knows that two and two equal four, or equal one plus three. However you want to look at it. I guess I'm updating.......amongst other updates.......