XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost for Ideas

Old 08-01-2015, 03:57 PM
Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Lost for Ideas

tried heaps of stuff on this car and had lost of excellent suggestions on this forum, reached a wall now i think. replaced the fuel computer yesterday at cost to see if it was the critical problem as all else seems to do stuff it should but this was NOT the problem and the same rhur-rhur-rhur noise at turn over and no action just exhaust occurs.

any other far flung options before i scrap?

Old 08-02-2015, 05:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Does this relate to another thread? Anyone coming across this would have no idea what you have done already?

Makes it hard to make sense of the situation and suggest anything.

Old 08-02-2015, 05:55 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

^ exactly!!

spark? fuel?

Old 08-02-2015, 09:41 AM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by yarpos
Does this relate to another thread? Anyone coming across this would have no idea what you have done already?

Makes it hard to make sense of the situation and suggest anything.
I have to agree. I remember you having issues, but I don't remember what they are.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Fuel computer????

Old 08-02-2015, 11:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

replacing the ECU does seem to be a last resort, but there are only so many things that can be wrong. Surely too early to give up? I know English cars can be a pain sometimes but there are a few walkthroughs available on this forum and some very experienced people.

It'd be a shame to throw yet another XJ on the junk pile. My nearest self service yard got an '86 Sovereign in this week, some wheelarch rust but nothing major. It was original down to the screw-on distributor cap and had been well looked after. After a day the grille and badges were already gone ... sad.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:42 AM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

KIWIS DON"T GIVE UP!!!!
Take a few nights off, down a couple of Tui's or Steinies, what ever your poison, and lets start from the begining(ish).

The first question is did the engine run in the donor car?
Next few are....
She is sparking?
The fuel pump is pumping?
Is she breathing?

I believe you said in another thread that you have spark, so the next thing to look at is air. Is the air filter clean. I would suggest removing it and the whole drum thing while trying to get it going. With this removed, get someone to crank her over and put your hand over the hole. Is she sucking??
If not, you could have a jammed air flow thingie.

Next is fuel. I see that fuel is getting to the fuel rail. Try pulling out a couple of injectors, but still connected (however that is done) and put in to a bag or jar. Crank it again. Any fuel spraying out of the injectors??

Other things to consider, are the spark plug leads in the right order? is the ignition timing set roughly right? Has the cams being played with, is the cam timing roughly correct? Compression in cylinders?

Something I have seen Doug mention more than once is the earthing strap in the trasmition tunnel? If there isn't one or 2 there, add them. The engine has to be earthed REALLY well for the injectors to work properly.

All else fails, Buy a large pile of bangers, steaks and meat patties, grab a couple of boxes of woodys or Lion red, and invite all the mates and neighbours over for a Barbie and pop the hood. You might be suprised...

Best of luck. Don't give up.....

Old 08-03-2015, 06:44 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard_gib
KIWIS DON"T GIVE UP!!!!
Take a few nights off, down a couple of Tui's or Steinies, what ever your poison, and lets start from the begining(ish).
Being an ex Tauranga boy I've got to agree with Richard. Sit back and watch some rugby and have a beer or two.

Then come back with as much as you can tell us about what you have done so far, with the amount of experience and willingness from members to help fellow Jag owners you will start getting somewhere fairly quickly.

Quote from member 34by151 (James)
No Jag gets left behind

Old 08-03-2015, 05:39 PM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

Like the others said, don't give up!!! having friends over is great for the hands on, but if you add that to the knowledgeable folk on here, you'll be cruising it not to long from now.
The extra set of eyes and brains is awesome. I found in the past that has developed a system for troubleshooting that works better for me now. It is pretty simple. DO NOT SAY WHAT YOU THINK OR HAVE DONE!! It tends to set there mind in the same way dumbfounded way yours is at that moment. Let them troubleshoot and before you know it, they say something that you haven't thought of.
But you need to be descriptive as all heck on this site or youll be on here forever trying to get past what you've already done. I was at a problem for almost nine months, and last week Doug figured it out with a stupid picture I posted. This site is awesome!!!!
Good luck!!!

Old 08-04-2015, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

PERSISTANCE PAYS!!! It took months, but my issues are now resolved. Gave it a much needed interior vacuum and wash. windows to go. decent, except where Coco's nose goes!!

All IC engines need, air, fuel and spark. each in the right amount and the right time. Set that as a diagnostic beginning. What is missing? then what is the fix.

1. start with a fully charged battery and good connections. Don't forget the under the car strap from transmission to frame.

2. Remove the spark plugs. Keep them and the wires in order. mark if any question. Nice light brown? sooty? oily residue? proper gap. Generally clean exterior?

3. Check compression, one cylinder at a time, with throttle open. Four rpm's each. Record the numbers. Report back. if low or uneven, it may not ever run and if it does, it will not run well.

4. If good, lots more to do.

Carl