XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carpet replacement

Old 07-24-2011, 12:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Carpet replacement

My son and I have taken on a big project this weekend. Took out the seats, removed all the old carpeting. Will be replacing with new carpets. The old adhesive that held the carpet in is black. What's a proper adhesive to use for gluing down the new carpets?

Old 07-28-2011, 12:07 AM

Spent three days cleaning off old glue and carpet fuzz. Fixed dents in floorboards and sealed minor rust areas. Installed new foam padding, new carpet pad, and new carpeting custom ordered from Paul's Jaguar. Cleaned all interior upholstery including the headliner. Repaired console, replaced wood trim around the switches and computer. Put everything back together. Looks and smells SO much better! Drives a lot quieter too, with the new padding.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:08 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Hello, Can you tell me where you bought the carpet, if it wasn't from the dealership?

Jeeves

Old 08-08-2011, 08:36 AM

@ Jeeves

I had it custom made from Paul's Jaguar. They did a phenomenal job. Apparently they have rolls of the original factory carpet, and the original patterns. Contact Jeremy @ paulsjag@aol.com and let them know Jay from Rapid City referred you.
Just FYI, they close down for a week or two in August for vacation. They will be back on August 18th.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:26 AM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default carpet replacement

hey man...im in the process of doing the same thing to mine. goin from blue to biscuit

what did you use to clean up the rust areas?

where did you get the carpet padding and adhesive?

Old 08-10-2011, 08:59 AM

@ Doghead.

The rust was just on the surface, and not too major. I cleaned with a wire brush and treated with several coats of Duro Extend.
I got the carpet padding from the flooring department at Lowe's for $2. Its the same type of padding you would put underneath the carpet in your home. I traced the floor mats and cut 1/8 inch larger than the mats and trimmed where necessary.
Good question on the adhesive. I thought I would need a good carpet cement. A local body shop wholesaler recommended 3M adhesive. I was skeptical at first, but it worked fantastic. What you want to do is spray the back of the carpet first and set it aside to dry for a minute. Then you spray the surface you are adhering it to. Make sure not to spray too thick, and be sure to go all the way to the edges. Once both surfaces are somewhat tacky you can set the carpet on. Make sure you get it on right the first time because it won't be coming back off easily.
When I took my old carpet off there was some black foam glued to the areas along the door sills. Mine was pretty much disintegrated, so I spent about a day removing it with a putty knife and goo gone. I was concerned about what to use to replace this foam padding until I found some material at a fabric store that looked like head-liner. It had 1/8 inch foam on one side, and cloth on the other. I found it easy to work with. I glued this on with 3M contact cement with the cloth facing the surface of the door sill, and the foam facing the carpet. I was pretty satisfied with the results.

The following 2 users liked this post by 86JAGVP:
doghead08 (08-10-2011), JagLoverT (10-21-2011)
Old 08-10-2011, 08:19 PM
Default carpet replacement

Good Stuff man...

im going to guess you put the adhesive on the material (you got from lowes) and attached to the floor ?? i have to grab that tomorrow...how thick is it?

i took apart the inside of an 87 xj6 III courtesy of Dons Jag in FLemington NJ and got me a biscuit interior (looks tan to me) and switching out the blue interior i have currently in my 86.

I took out my carpets today and discovered lots of rust/rot in both driver and passenger front floor boards. backs are fine. I sanded the **** out of them, but since i can see through in some spots my only move is going to be to cut out the rust and reinforce.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rusting floor under the carpet

If you are planning on treating your rusty floors rather than replacing them, I can highly recommend POR-15. It does a great job stopping rust from spreading, and is best applied directly to rusty metal. Just need to make sure that all of the dust and flaky metal is removed first.

How are you planning on 'reinforcing' your floors? I am looking at a '71 with a hole in the drivers floor that needs attention.

Regards

Chris

Old 08-12-2011, 06:14 AM
Default my rusty floors

whaz up mang...thanks for the product recomendation

im going to either get some sheet metal and cut out and replace the rotted floor or go to as jag graveyard..find one that has stood up to mother nature and cut out the floors and lay em over the top..and weld em in..after i cut the rot out of course and clean the surrounding area.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Regarding Rusted Floor Panels

I purchased replacement floor panels from Terry's Jaguar for my '85 XJ6 for $240. You can download their parts catalog at Terrys Jaguar Parts contact their customer support for current pricing, I had one of the old pricing guides and it was still pretty close.

The following users liked this post:
doghead08 (10-15-2011)
Old 10-15-2011, 06:02 AM
Default floor repair

can you give me an overview how you will go about the repair?

ex...are you going right over the top, from under...cut out the old?

Old 10-15-2011, 08:29 AM
Default Rust Repair

I am going to cut out the footwell sheet metal and weld in the new panel.
Here is a link to a picture of the panel on jagbits website actually purchased from Terry's Jaguar. Jaguar FLOOR PANEL RIGHT SIDE - JS604-OE

The following users liked this post:
doghead08 (10-27-2011)
Old 01-04-2012, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts

i know this topic is kind of old, but my carpet in general is an fantastic shape, however its the floor mats that need help, and the floor mats are the carpet in front, did you get just carper t for the front or did pauls supply new mats for the front??????

Old 01-06-2012, 01:30 PM

@ Darren

You are correct that the carpet and floor mats are one and the same.
When I purchased the car three of the four floor mats were missing. Jeremy at Paul's Jaguar said it would be almost the same cost to just replace all the carpet at once, so that's what I decided to do. Its a big job, but looks pretty good when you get done.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Is there any set of carpet/floor mats I can get on Ebay or something that fits well and looks like the originals?

Old 01-31-2012, 09:26 AM

Here is a link Paul's Jaguar ebay Link their phone number is at the top of the page. This parts supplier was originally posted by 86JAGVP but I found Paul's ebay link.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Old 05-03-2012, 06:36 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 86JAGVP
Spent three days cleaning off old glue and carpet fuzz. Fixed dents in floorboards and sealed minor rust areas. Installed new foam padding, new carpet pad, and new carpeting custom ordered from Paul's Jaguar. Cleaned all interior upholstery including the headliner. Repaired console, replaced wood trim around the switches and computer. Put everything back together. Looks and smells SO much better! Drives a lot quieter too, with the new padding.
Hi, got a question on the wood trim repair/replacement. I have a 1986 Vanden Plas I inherited that needs work. The wood veneer is pretty shot. I've seen replacement kits on eBay but wondered where you got yours from and who you recommended.
Thanks!

Old 05-03-2012, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagLoverT
Here is a link Paul's Jaguar ebay Link their phone number is at the top of the page. This parts supplier was originally posted by 86JAGVP but I found Paul's ebay link.
Aha, thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Carpet replacement