XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Conversion from AC to "normal" ventilation

Old 10-13-2012, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conversion from AC to "normal" ventilation

Hi,
My car has been I accident before I bought it and all compressor,hoses are gone so my intension is to convert it to normal heating/ventilation.I have now found a donor car and my question is what parts do I need?Do I need the whole ventilation package inside the car or just the panel inside the car?
It is a 6 cyl, 1982,LHD.
Thanks!/Johnny

Old 10-13-2012, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

I'm assuming you are talking about getting fresh air...no air conditioning?

the Series 2 XJ came with vents on the kick panels. The air comes into the cabin through a grille mesh on each outer headlight chrome bezel. There is a wide flat vinyl hose under the fender/wing from the mesh to the kick panel vent. These vents are factory-sealed in the Series 3 XJ, but the only hardware missing is the actual vent assemblies and the pull-push cables. you can retrofit those vents to the Series 3, they have a knobbed cable to open and close them. If you remove the upholstery kick panel/card, you will see the openings are there but sealed. (the wide flat vinyl hoses and the meshed chrome headlight bezels are in all Series 3 cars).

there is another electrical mod which Doug knows about, it has a name, I forgot it. It lets you get fresh air by flipping a switch.

Last edited by Jose; 10-13-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,741 Likes on 7,097 Posts

Johnny, your existing climate control system can simply be used without the compressor/refrigeration portion of the system. You'll still get heat and defrost and it will still regulate temperature...to the extent possible without refrigerated air, of course.

The modification Jose mentioned is, in essence, just a method to operate the climate control without operating the a/c compressor. Since you don't have the compressor there's no point in the modification.

The entire "heater only" system could be swapped into your car with great effort ...but there's really no point in doing so.

The fresh air vents mentioned by Jose are a worthwile addition and easy to install. I'll only add that they *were* used on early Ser III cars with climate control until '82 or so and were used on "heater only" cars right up to the end. Of course, "heater only" Ser IIIs are rather rare....I'd guess 5% of total production.

Cheers
DD

Old 10-15-2012, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your replies.
I will take off the side panels to better understand your views this weekend.Another thing:How shall i control the heat valve? In the car not is seems to be vaccum controlled but I guess that in climate system without AC it is controled by wire cable or? the thing is that all heat goes in to the car and eventhough I live in Sweden it will get pretty hot in a summer day.

All best/Johnny

Old 10-15-2012, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

Originally Posted by Holmkiern
Thanks for your replies.
I will take off the side panels to better understand your views this weekend.Another thing:How shall i control the heat valve? In the car not is seems to be vaccum controlled but I guess that in climate system without AC it is controled by wire cable or? the thing is that all heat goes in to the car and eventhough I live in Sweden it will get pretty hot in a summer day.
All best/Johnny
the heater valve is controlled by the TEMP switch, by way of vacuum, if you put the TEMP switch in 85 degrees farenheit, the heater valve will OPEN allowing hot coolant through the matrix/heater core, and it will heat the interior assuming the engine and coolant have reached normal temperature;

if you put the TEMP switch in 65 degress farenheit, it will shut/close the heater valve stopping all coolant flow (in theory), so you get ambient/outside fresh air temperature if you put the MODE switch in HIGH or LOW. If you put the MODE switch in AUTO, it will recirculate the air already in the cabin.

the vents in the Series 2 XJ kick panels are manually/mechanically-operated by hand, they have nothing to do with the TEMP or MODE switch; They are open or closed by pulling or pushing a cable to allow outside air into the cabin, or stop outside air from coming into the cabin.

Having said that, I think the Series 2 and Series 3 XJ heater valve is of the "Normally Open" type, contrary to older Jaguar like the Series 1 and older Jags which is of the "Normally Closed" type.