XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cranking, no fuel to engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 05:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cranking, no fuel to engine

Thanks for the help so far from members.
New Member and I've looked through loads of posts.
I have a series 3/3.4 litre internal pumps each tank. SU Carbs not Injection.
Is there any simple method of ascertaining where power is lost to the pumps?
I have so far been trying to find where the Fuel Pump Relay is and it is not in the Haynes Manual 242 1968 to 1986 series 1,2,3 2.8, 3.4,4.2. Book for where situated?

Quest; Can anyone tell me where the power comes from to the inertia switch? its dead! Behind the glove box there are 4x I assume "Circuit Breakers? two are dead two are alive with key on.
Where is the fuel pump relay?
There are two relays on the Bulkhead I think it was Doug mentioned one is the "Starter Relay"? It has a large W/R cable to Solenoid. Where do the "U" Brown cables go to from this starter realy, are they the ones to the circuit breakers?

My old man had a 63 XL Falcon early on when we emigrated to Brisbane and I pulled the Head off when he was working in Weipa for 3 months.
Just for the hell of it me and a mate repainted it and put in a new head gasket in it which was not needed.
When he got back did'nt even say thanks and traded it in on a 1966 Daimler Mk2 type and later a MK10 4.2 white with red interior. So at least I got to drive and maintain them. Whilst being an apprentice at Genevieve Motors BP garage Beaudesert Road, Brisbane.Bob Catter senior, MP for Cloncurry used to come down to our garage 1,000 miles away, to get his Pontiac Laurentian serviced. As you know the Bull Dust gets caked onto the underbody from the wet. It was a mission to clean the car first before doing the service. That was the old days when hoists had one huge hydraulic pillar in the centre and oil went into a tank. Leg came down for safety, do you remeber those? Burton

Old 11-21-2014, 10:22 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

I saw a thread which said that the power to the fuel pumps also depended on the oil pressure (by a sensor on the side of the engine under the inlet manifold but not the oil pressure sender. A safety feature so if the engine stopped then the fuel pumps wouldn't run.

If the car has been standing so there's no fuel in the carbs then a faulty switch would not let oil pressure rise enough turning over on the starter.

It was probably that that caused my engine not to start after a long lay up. I didn't realise this but when I filled the carbs up by disconnecting the fuel pipe from the carb and pumping a bit of fuel in there, the car started up.

A simpler way apparently is to ground the sensor wire IIRC.

It may not be the reason that you haven't got power but it's one more thing to rule out.

See https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ts-out-116791/

Last edited by anjum; 11-21-2014 at 10:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
burtontrentjaguar (11-28-2014)
Old 11-22-2014, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by anjum
I saw a thread which said that the power to the fuel pumps also depended on the oil pressure (by a sensor on the side of the engine under the inlet manifold but not the oil pressure sender. A safety feature so if the engine stopped then the fuel pumps wouldn't run.

If the car has been standing so there's no fuel in the carbs then a faulty switch would not let oil pressure rise enough turning over on the starter.

It was probably that that caused my engine not to start after a long lay up. I didn't realise this but when I filled the carbs up by disconnecting the fuel pipe from the carb and pumping a bit of fuel in there, the car started up.

A simpler way apparently is to ground the sensor wire IIRC.

It may not be the reason that you haven't got power but it's one more thing to rule out.

See https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ts-out-116791/
Thanks Anjum, A very good point, it certainly will get looked at.
I have had the engine started recently by using a separate fuel pump to move it to my place a week ago. So carbs would have been full. Burton

Old 11-23-2014, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Burton.

Can't help with the electrics. I have schematics for my S3, but it is a different car from yours. As I recall, my Haynes manual was primarily a primer for SI's and II's. Butched by jamming in S3 stuff. Result, confusion. I don't look there anymore!!

Oh, yeah, I do recall those single hydraulic post lifts with the "safety" leg. When I was working my way through college I worked at a few service stations that used them. Most if not all used ramps for the wheels. But, some used legs on the chassis so the wheels could be removed for whatever need.

And, one really old one had an out door pit!!! I worked night shift. Doing an oil change and lube in the dark, mostly by flash light!!

Gotta get under mine today and correct a mis wire to the starter solenoid. No PO to blame, mea culpa!!

Carl

The following users liked this post:
burtontrentjaguar (11-28-2014)
Old 11-24-2014, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by JagCad
Burton.

Can't help with the electrics. I have schematics for my S3, but it is a different car from yours. As I recall, my Haynes manual was primarily a primer for SI's and II's. Butched by jamming in S3 stuff. Result, confusion. I don't look there anymore!!

Oh, yeah, I do recall those single hydraulic post lifts with the "safety" leg. When I was working my way through college I worked at a few service stations that used them. Most if not all used ramps for the wheels. But, some used legs on the chassis so the wheels could be removed for whatever need.

And, one really old one had an out door pit!!! I worked night shift. Doing an oil change and lube in the dark, mostly by flash light!!

Gotta get under mine today and correct a mis wire to the starter solenoid. No PO to blame, mea culpa!!

Carl
And today they would'nt let you work in the dark, things are better safety wise,I remember dropping a jack on my boss! under a EH Holden wagon, I ran across the trolley jack with those left and right Hydraulic closers lever. I kicked the lever to down. Boss was not eager to shout at me, as he thought I might have done it on purpose. LOL! ps thanks for the info. Burton