XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

decluttering Series 2 under the hood ....

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 12:12 PM
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Default decluttering Series 2 under the hood ....

I am considering removing the EGR, gulp valve, air pump and the associated plumbing to clean up the under-hood area. Anyone done this, and was there any necessary re-tuning? The carburettors don't know what's downstream, so I don't think any adjustments will be needed, but am I wrong? Where did you get the plugs to fill the holes?
The engine is not in an XJ6, but the car was manufactured in 1974 using then-current parts.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

It isn't in the drop top showing in the picture is it???

Are you sure that a carb'd 4.2 even has an EGR? Oor an air pump for that matter? I really do not know.

I do know that many an IC engine has run sans either or both,

I disabled both in my 304 IHC with no ill effects. had to hook 'em up again for SMOG testing. Both went south, that is why I cut them out!!

Now, in another couple of beasts, I took advantage of the registration to eliminate them.

I used 1/8 NPT plugs. I selected Allen heads as they looked inauspicious. You might have to tap for them.

The air pump is particularly odorous to me. It only functions for a couple of minutes or so, then shuts down and becomes parasitic.

After some learning, my objection to EGR lessened. By cooling the combustion, it allows more advance. Usually a good thing.

Pre EGR, engines were supposed to run cleaner with retarded spark? I've always had trouble with any logic there.

Caveat, my thinking only as an old gear head.

Carl

Old 10-28-2013, 04:58 PM

Hi Carl .... the vehicle in question is a 1974 Panther J72. They were built from 1972 to about 1981 and used Jaguar running gear. The one I'm thinking about buying is a US export model, so has all the emissions equipment needed at that time. Which includes SAI, EGR, gulp valve, anti-run on and air cleaner heat.
The car has passed the "grandfather" date here in CA, so does not need a smog inspection. I figure I would be more than offset by some tree-hugger in his Prius if I remove some of the stuff (which may not be functional anymore in any event).

Old 10-28-2013, 06:04 PM
Received 10,290 Likes on 6,810 Posts

Ken,

We too got all that stuff on late S2 XJ6 cars.

I removed all that stuff pretty much week one of ownership.

It was a loooooong time ago, but I remember using the nut off the EGR pipe at the manifold, and welding the hole closed, grinding etc to look sweet, and called it a day.

The over top hot air trunk simply went west.

The anti-run valve went also, but I replaced it on one of them, as that sucker simply would not shut down properly, no big deal anyway with oil switch and 2 wires, and bury that valve somewhere out of sight (imagination helps here).

Mine all ran the HS8 carbies, so retuning (very minor) was simple. If you still have the Strombergs, dunno, I always trashed them and fitted SU in lieu.

There was some minor small hose plumbing I altered, but that is fuzzy now.

The air pump and bracket on the LH side of the cylinder simply came off and suitable plugs found/made, went in any open orifice, again a tad fuzzy now.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:32 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

The 1969 to 1972 Series I had a lot less 'crap' on the intake so you could retrofit an earlier setup.

The 1973 to 1977 had too many valves and vacuum lines for my liking.

bob gauff

Old 10-31-2013, 12:21 PM

Continuing to slide down the slippery slope ..... anybody done a conversion to an earlier SU or triple weber setup?
Where would be the best place to hunt for used carbs and manifold?

Old 10-31-2013, 09:47 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

I seem to recall that a 420G or Mark X S.U. might fit but the 'E'Type setup might not clear the Bonnet.

The Series I will obviously fit.

Back in the '80s I installed a triple 45 DCOE and a set of headers on a 1968 'E'Type.
The car left the shop on a Friday and was 'totaled' before midnight by the car owners drunken friend.
I drove it Friday afternoon before it was totaled and I must admit it was FAST.
The throttle was VERY TOUCHY. It should have had a progressive type linkage.

With the throttle WIDE OPEN you could see the intake valves.

I think REDLINE made the intake manifold setup.

bob gauff